GA-EP45-DS3R and Core 2 Quad Q8200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-EP45-DS3R and Core 2 Quad Q8200

(G)MCH Frequency Latch is just a visual setting, whem other than auto SMM will show the multipliers for that strap only.
    Since we always state the letter with the multiplier it is no needed, and we often want a multiplier from another strap that may work as well, so best leave it auto.
    I actually recommended 6 for tRD and 5 may also work so between 7 and 5, 6 is a comromise.
    For 350MHz FSB use 7.

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
      Correction: 2.66C and 2.66D are available options, as is 2.40B.
      2.66B is NOT an option.

Keep your DRAM Voltage @ 2.00 - 2.02. Your Mushkin 996599 runs best with ~ 2.00 volts. Its 2.10 max voltage setting is seldom needed unless you are trying for higher than 1100MHz, don't bother, it's not worth it ;)

What are the minimum MCH Core voltage increments for your motherboard? +0.02? +0.10? +0.25?
      Ya sorry I got the letter wrong, I am trying 3.20B now if thats ok for a full speed on the ram of 1066MHz The memory is rated for 1066MHz speed and so I would like to see if any errors appear. I think the problem was indeed the wrong MSH Freq latch. Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused. I also changed the MCH Core voltage to 1.22 for two sticks. I also set the Static Tread to 7 as well. The Increments are 0.020 for the MCH core.
      Guess I need to run Prime 95 to get temps now........
      max
      BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

Max, how many and which tests did you complete so far? How long or how many loops did each test complete?
        If you're going to do incomplete tests using various settings, you won't know if any of the the partial tests are "fully" stable and you'll have no stable fall back setup.
        You're wasting your time if you're going to bounce around doing partial tests and then trying different memory/cpu speeds and settings.

If this is the way you're going to test, I'm outta here and others can decide if they want to continue to help.
        I don't have a problem if you want to run somewhat shorter stress tests, it's your system and you risk corrupting your files if you don't do thorough stress testing.
        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Max, how many and which tests did you complete so far? How long or how many loops did each test complete?
          If you're going to do incomplete tests using various settings, you won't know if any of the the partial tests are "fully" stable and you'll have no stable fall back setup.
          You're wasting your time if you're going to bounce around doing partial tests and then trying different memory/cpu speeds and settings.

If this is the way you're going to test, I'm outta here and others can decide if they want to continue to help.
          I don't have a problem if you want to run somewhat shorter stress tests, it's your system and you risk corrupting your files if you don't do thorough stress testing.
          OK I was testing one stick at a time then you say i should test two at a time first, so I did that. I did the memtest64+ v2.20 with the default test for at least one full pass at first, then the test you recommended for at least 10-15 passes. The reason for the multiple settings for the memory is that I was a little confused about the multplyer that I ran the first test with, so I included a few posibilities. I think I have narrowed it down to either running memory at 800 or 1066 speeds for now during testing. And chike did suggest that I run at full rated speed to test memory. I have been running tests most of the day for memtest and would check in periodically to see if the post was updated or to answer any questions and get direction. I do recall that you said I should run some tests overnight like the prime 95 i believe. Tonight would be an ideal time to do some tests like that.
          And running Lin X in windows has not been done yet Need to DL it I got prime 95 now Sorry you did state to try 1066 speed I just saw that sorry.
          Max
          Last edited by MadMax2911; 02-20-2012, 12:58 AM.
          BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

Memtest86+ v4.20 is the current latest version and you should be using this version for testing.
            We need ongoing updates to best help you.

If a test fails or has problems, post a brief update with the settings you used and detail what the problems were.
            This way we know exactly what problems you've encountered. Error details are important!!!
            You don't need to post the full bios settings each time, but we need to know what new settings you're using for the followup tests.

Once you have a "reasonably" stable setup, we can suggest how you can cut some corners with somewhat shorter stress tests.
            It wastes your time and ours if we have to keep asking for more detailed test information.
            We can't offer good suggestions if we only have part of the information/details that we need.
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Memtest86+ v4.20 is the current latest version and you should be using this version for testing.
              We need ongoing updates to best help you.

If a test fails or has problems, post a brief update with the settings you used and detail what the problems were.
              This way we know exactly what problems you've encountered. Error details are important!!!
              You don't need to post the full bios settings each time, but we need to know what new settings you're using for the followup tests.

Once you have a "reasonably" stable setup, we can suggest how you can cut some corners with somewhat shorter stress tests.
              It wastes your time and ours if we have to keep asking for more detailed test information.
              We can't offer good suggestions if we only have part of the information/details that we need.
              Tried running Lin X last night but had a beeping noise when the temps got too high (runtime 3min 22 secs). I caved and stopped the test. reran Lin X this morn and made sure AV was off and same result beeping.(but at least it ran).
              Prime 95 on the other hand I had trouble getting it to run most time except for a few times. I think I had to choose a integer for one test that ran and last night it caused an error,shown below. Could not get P95 to run this morn was short on time.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by MadMax2911; 02-20-2012, 09:04 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

What core temps you had with LinX? For QUAD CPU run 2048MB.
                Next time check the more information if you get such an error.
                Can we have your full settings(no mistakes please)?

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                  What core temps you had with LinX? For QUAD CPU run 2048MB.
                  Next time check the more information if you get such an error.
                  Can we have your full settings(no mistakes please)?
                  Beeping started at 70 C and I realized it was due to the warning temp set in the BIOS. I reset warning temp to 80 C I tried to set at 2048 and got a note that max was 1999 for This test. The prime 95 error may be due to my not setting up an account till tonight for online testing. I thought I did not have to setup account to test.
                  Memtest will run now with no errors at all in both tests.
                  Lin X is running while I type this with a temp(max) of 73-74 C on core 0 , other cores are lower. I would like to start setting some of the BIOS settings that are on auto or will this be done later?
                  Prime 95 is now running with online account. Max temp is 71 after about 5 minutes. Maybe I will set alarm for 1 am to check it then.
                  Max

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
                  Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
                  CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 7x
                  Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
                  CPU Frequency ...........................: 2.33GHz

Clock Chip Control
                  Standard Clock Control
                  CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
                  CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 333Mhz
                  PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........: 100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
                  CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
                  PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
                  CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 0
                  MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 0

DRAM Performance Control
                  Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
                  Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
                  (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
                  System Memory Multiplier ..............: 3.20D
                  Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1066 MHz
                  DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
                  CAS Latency Time.........5...............:5
                  tRCD ..........................7...............:5
                  tRP'............................7............... :5
                  tRAS...........................24...............:1 5

Set all Suggested below to highest Values first. Then later you can lower, one at a time, testing as you go

Advanced Timing Control
                  tRRD...........................................aut o
                  tWTR..........................................auto
                  tWR............................................aut o
                  tRFC...........................................aut o
                  tRTP...........................................aut o
                  Command Rate (CMD) ....................:auto
                  Driving Strength Profiles
                  Driving Strength ............................auto

Channel A
                  Static tRead Value.........................: 6 for both Channel A and B
                  6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
                  tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
                  tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                  tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                  tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                  Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
                  Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                  Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                  Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
                  Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                  Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
                  CPU
                  CPU Vcore….……….........................:1.25
                  CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: << 1.2
                  If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much. Optimal range for overclock would be 1.2-1.5 depending on Vcore, try to keep at least .1 under vcore. Auto is fine if not overclocking
                  CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: 1.5
                  << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much. Optimal range for overclock would be 1.5-1.65. Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: auto
                  <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly

MCH/ICH
                  MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: 1.1<<
                  MCH Reference….…….0.760V...........; auto<<< Leave
                  MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: auto<<< Leave
                  ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: NOT AVAIL<<< Leave
                  ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: NOT AVAIL<<< Leave
                  DRAM
                  DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.0
                  DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: auto<<< Leave
                  Channel A Reference 0.900V............: auto<<< Leave
                  Channel B Reference 0.900V............: auto <<< Leave

Advanced Settings
                  Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                  No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                  CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                  C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                  x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                  CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                  CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                  Virtualization Technology................: NOT AVAIL

Integrated Peripherals
                  Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by MadMax2911; 02-21-2012, 01:07 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

Lets begin with your temps, they are way high for stock settings, Prime95 should never exceed 65c.
                    It sounds a bit odd though that Prime95 temps so close to LinX temps, normally LinX is 10c+ higher than Prime95, are you sure it's 71c and not 61c?
                    Have you removed and reinstalled the CPU cooler without re-applying thermal paste, or if you did what paste do you use?

You don't need any account to use Prime95 for stress testing.
                    If Prime95 fail, set MCH Core to 1.16v and test again, keep increasing up to 1.24v while still failing.
                    If you know the FFT size that fail, you can save time and customize the test to run this FFT only by setting both min and max FFT sizes to that value.
                    If last failing value pass for 2 times, run normal(non-customized) blend again.

Have you tried contacting Mushkin yet?

Comment

I have never had a Prime95 account and have tested with Prime95 for years.
                      Static tRead Value (aka tRD) = 6 is the lowest I could use at 333MHz with my EP45-UD3P.
                      tRD = 5 wouldn't boot or was unstable @ 333MHz or higher.

Comment

Lets begin with your temps, they are way high for stock settings, Prime95 should never exceed 65c.
                        It sounds a bit odd though that Prime95 temps so close to LinX temps, normally LinX is 10c+ higher than Prime95, are you sure it's 71c and not 61c?
                        Have you removed and reinstalled the CPU cooler without re-applying thermal paste, or if you did what paste do you use?
                        You don't need any account to use Prime95 for stress testing.
                        If Prime95 fail, set MCH Core to 1.16v and test again, keep increasing up to 1.24v while still failing.
                        If you know the FFT size that fail, you can save time and customize the test to run this FFT only by setting both min and max FFT sizes to that value.
                        If last failing value pass for 2 times, run normal(non-customized) blend again.
                        Have you tried contacting Mushkin yet?
                        Prime 95 ran all night with online account feature turned on. Its strange though as I have ran prime 95 before without account I believe(could also be that I did not have it s setting correct) I have a ScreenShot of temps for you.
                        last time I tried to install a modified cooler I reapplied whatever was at hand at the time. Could be paste from mushkin or maybe some off-brand that I bought at PC store.
                        Yes I have a SS of prime 95 Fails too. I wont bore you with SS that you do not request, however. No I have not contacted Muskin yet, so far I have idea that problems may have been caused by setting the strap to 400 and have wrong setting elsewhere, but not confirmed yet. Everything seems ok now except for prime 95 failure and temps as you say. I have not tried to OC again yet as I am still testing.
                        Hi Professor Jim Thanks for the info and all your help, I really appreciate it. :)
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by MadMax2911; 02-21-2012, 08:12 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Well you do have your MCH Core at 1.22v(which was 1.1 in your previous post BTW) that may have helped stability. You can try to lower it if you wish but it's not too important.
                          Whats are idle temps and in what is the room temperature.
                          Even if you going to OC by a little they must be lowered at least 5c.

Comment

Well you do have your MCH Core at 1.22v(which was 1.1 in your previous post BTW) that may have helped stability. You can try to lower it if you wish but it's not too important.
                            Whats are idle temps and in what is the room temperature.
                            Even if you going to OC by a little they must be lowered at least 5c.
                            Hope the idle temps are good, in this screenshot. I am cooking right now so may be a little high? Will look for my room thermometer ASAP. Well I am open to suggestions about lowering temps. I do have a smaller fan that comes with Mugen2 cooler for the northbridge I think. Just how to attach is the problem. I used velcro on the UD3LR. I will look at airflow and check fan operations too. Most likely its the stock cooler and thermal paste as you mentioned, cuz I have at least 3 case fans on this tower (one intake one exhaust and one side cover fan). One other thing is prime 95 is not downloading from some sites and I also could not DL from Tweaktown the other day as well maybe they are changing P95 versions?
                            Max
                            Attached Files

Comment

I have just downloaded Prime95(both 32 & 64 bit versions) from TT, no problem.
                              Temps are a bit high for idle.

Comment

Make sure that Round Off Checking is enabled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Prime95 Round Off Checking is Enabled.png
Views:	14
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	751941

Comment

Working...
                                X