Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R very slow to the BIOS screen

Originally posted by klownboy View Post
    What do other people get for times to the BIOS screen on Gigabyte boards?
    This will be interesting to see, ill have to time mine but im pretty sure its about the same as yours (UD7)

Id make a video of it if i thought it was going to help the BIOS guys make future BIOS's faster to boot but i get the feeling its the board.

If your reading this LSD... You know how some notebooks post their BIOSs from the hard drive and have very fast boot times, is this maybe not an option? Or is the problem you cant clear it like you can with the cmos? I dunno... do wish it posted faster though. My mate has an Asus notebook that has the above feature, when its switched on the BIOS is not even seen it goes so quick (admidally it doesnt boot windows as quick, just the BIOS and ONLY when booting the BIOS from the hard drive)

Comment

I actually timed the bootup at least 6 times with a stop watch and it averaged about 25 seconds to the BIOS screen. Since I'm moving I really don't have the time to be video recording unfortunately. Unless I'm going blind, it seems like sometimes I don't actually get the BIOS screen and I get an "Updating DMI pool (or data)" statement (to the best of my recollection) at the top of the screen and then the Windows 7 screens come up. Other times , I boot and get the BIOS screen and immediately after get the "Updating DMI pool (or data)" statement. In anycase, the BIOS or The "Updating DMI pool (or data)" statement is still at about 25 seconds from the press of the button and Windows is complete/usable at around 51 seconds...so it has improved from my very original post but still not as good as my old Q6600 quad core on the ABIT IP35 Pro. So it's possible some of the tweaks suggested did help some (i.e., BIOS from F5 to F6b, DVDdrive to SATA II_5). I don't think OCing slowed down the boot process because I had this slow to BIOS screen problem long before I OCed.

It is my first Gigabyte board. They were all ASUS or ABIT previously. So I was accustomed to the BIOS screen popping up within seconds of hitting the switch.

Thanks
      for me i found ahci faster in boot up times compared to ide,ide it will pause at the splash screen a good 5-10 seconds in ahci it flashes past so fast you hardly notice it,i did a little playing around with msconfig/boot/advanced when you tick the maximum memory it reserves 2gb of ram but only uses 500mb in resource monitor/hardware reserved presumably for boot up,i also clicked 8 processors,i also set the timeout from 20seconds to 10seconds,heres the screenshots to show you

if you want to enable ahci in windows7 you need to make these changes in the registry,you can switch back to ide or ahci after you make thee changes whenever you want through the bios

1.Exit all Windows-based programs.
      2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
      3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
      4.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesM sahci

5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
      6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
      7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor

After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
        for me i found ahci faster in boot up times compared to ide,ide it will pause at the splash screen a good 5-10 seconds in ahci it flashes past so fast you hardly notice it,i did a little playing around with msconfig/boot/advanced when you tick the maximum memory it reserves 2gb of ram but only uses 500mb in resource monitor/hardware reserved presumably for boot up,i also clicked 8 processors,i also set the timeout from 20seconds to 10seconds,heres the screenshots to show you

According to Microsoft MSConfig is only for debugging? I thought it made boots quicker as well until recently.

Though i have changed my timeout from default to 3 as i dont have any other OS installed, though im not sure if it would even show the boot manager with only 1 os installed?

You could also disable the GUI boot to shave a second or two off...
        Last edited by SB420; 04-20-2010, 08:26 PM.

Comment

msconfig lets you configure boot up ect,thats why you can select to use all 4 processors/8 with multithreading at boot up,plus other stuff
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Yes thats what i thought too until recently when i got told it was for debugging only and would automatically boot up with all cores etc. Im pretty sure i read a Microsoft statment somewhere, will see if i can find it

Comment

im using selective start up too not normal,

heres msconfig better explained, How to use MSCONFIG in Windows 7: NetSquirrel.com
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

I quote from Microsofts site in regards to booting with all cores etc...

"/numproc=number
                This switch sets the number of processors that Windows will run at startup. With this switch, you can force a multiprocessor system to use only the quantity of processors (number) that you specify. This switch can help you troubleshoot performance problems and defective CPUs. "

Available switch options for the Windows XP and the Windows Server 2003 Boot.ini files

Comment

i dont know whether win7 will use multithreading with 8 cores at start up but its possible,i remember when i first looked after installing win7 it was set to 4 cores at default so i changed it to 8
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

In default mode its not ticked, and when its not ticked (the boxes) they are automatically set to max cores regardless of what the greyed out number reads

Comment

yeah thats right i had it the other way around,same for memory there both greyed out unless you tick the boxes then it will let you choose the amount of cores and amount of ram you want to use to boot with
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Its a pity though as even i thought it was supposed to help, though i wonder if LSD will see my question about flashing the BIOS to the HDD?

Anyway this is useful for msconfig Available switch options for the Windows XP and the Windows Server 2003 Boot.ini files

Comment

idk,probably because of overclocking and having the need of a dual bios,
                          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                          Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

True though is a pity

Comment

I actually timed the bootup at least 6 times with a stop watch and it averaged about 25 seconds to the BIOS screen. Since I'm moving I really don't have the time to be video recording unfortunately. Unless I'm going blind, it seems like sometimes I don't actually get the BIOS screen and I get an "Updating DMI pool (or data)" statement (to the best of my recollection) at the top of the screen and then the Windows 7 screens come up. Other times , I boot and get the BIOS screen and immediately after get the "Updating DMI pool (or data)" statement. In anycase, the BIOS or The "Updating DMI pool (or data)" statement is still at about 25 seconds from the press of the button and Windows is complete/usable at around 51 seconds...so it has improved from my very original post but still not as good as my old Q6600 quad core on the ABIT IP35 Pro. So it's possible some of the tweaks suggested did help some (i.e., BIOS from F5 to F6b, DVDdrive to SATA II_5). I don't think OCing slowed down the boot process because I had this slow to BIOS screen problem long before I OCed.

It is my first Gigabyte board. They were all ASUS or ABIT previously. So I was accustomed to the BIOS screen popping up within seconds of hitting the switch.

Thanks
                              I'll have to time a few boots to be sure of how long is normal. Sorry, that's why I wanted a video so I could see how long it is taking to show you each screen. I am not really sure of times myself, but I do know what screens to expect after certain amounts of time. So that is why I wanted to see a video if possible, no problem if you can't now though. I'll do a few timed tests tonight and let you know what I find out.

Gigabyte are slow to boot, this is normal. All manufacturer boards boot different, some faster than others and some slower, so since you are coming from another brand I suspect your GIGABYTE board is fine and you are just not used to the booting process on these boards is all.

I'll time out a few boots tonight and let you know. I will also make a video of a bootup on my end and post for you, so you can see my bootup times between screens so you can compare to what you are seeing.

Originally posted by SB420 View Post
                              This will be interesting to see, ill have to time mine but im pretty sure its about the same as yours (UD7)

Id make a video of it if i thought it was going to help the BIOS guys make future BIOS's faster to boot but i get the feeling its the board.

If your reading this LSD... You know how some notebooks post their BIOSs from the hard drive and have very fast boot times, is this maybe not an option? Or is the problem you cant clear it like you can with the cmos? I dunno... do wish it posted faster though. My mate has an Asus notebook that has the above feature, when its switched on the BIOS is not even seen it goes so quick (admidally it doesnt boot windows as quick, just the BIOS and ONLY when booting the BIOS from the hard drive)
                              I am not sure what you mean, sorry! I don't use notebooks often and I have not heard ever of any that boot from a on-disk BIOS. What I can say that may make you think that is that ALL boards boot differently, some much faster than others, so it may just seem that way to you? Booting from a BIOS on a hard drive would be much slower than a onchip motherboard BIOS, so I can only guess this is not what is going on in the notebook you are thinking of as it would most likely boot slower if the BIOS was only on the hard drive.

Originally posted by SB420 View Post
                              Its a pity though as even i thought it was supposed to help, though i wonder if LSD will see my question about flashing the BIOS to the HDD?
                              Of course, I see all

Comment

lol @ I see all

The BIOS thing on my mates notebook is random. In his BIOS settings he has a Boot Booster which according to his manual POST's the BIOS from the HDD rather than the BIOS chip, when enabled its def alot quicker.

Comment

Working...
                                X