GA-X58A-UD3R very slow to the BIOS screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X58A-UD3R very slow to the BIOS screen

A friend of mine and I both have new GA-X58A-UD3R motherbooards and are experiencing the same problem, very long times to get to the BIOS screen over 25 seconds. Once the BIOS screen is seen the remainder of the boot up until Windows 7 (64 bit) is up and running is decent. We both have nearly identical components in addition to the Gigagbyte board. Corsair 1600 memory - 12 Gig, 150 gig VelociRaptor hard drives on normal SATA (no RAID)..using SATA2_0, 2_1, and 2_2. We both have 2 WD hard drives and one Samsung SATA DVD. He has a ATI 5850 video and I have a 5770. I've experimented quite a bit since my older Q6600 on windows 7 64-bit on an ABIT IP35 Pro is nearly twice as fast booting just seconds to get to the BIOS screen and approximately 40 seconds total from button press until a usuable Windows 7. It really irritates me that this newer system is so much slowere to boot. I've overclocked it to about 3.6 GHz. We both have Corsair H50 water coolers but I have experienced the same long boot times to the BIOS screen with no overclocking. I've also tried setting Turbo boost off and on - no change. I have SATA 3 disabled, USB 3, eSATA and 1394 Firewire are also disabled. The intel chip setting are at the default settings. Should I be trying the SATA II VelociRaptor on the SATA 3 connectors (SATA3_6/7 Marvell) with SATA 3 enabled or maybe the SATA2_8/9 Gigabyte connectors)? When the SATA3 is disabled in the BIOS, I can't see why that should be affecting boot up. The Raptor is the bootup drive. Is there an ideal way to hook the drives up with no RAID (i.e., optimal SATA connection choices) to avoid the long delay. I've heard others may have experience the same thing? Is there some reason why it would be taking so darn long to get to the BIOS screen?
    Totally separate question: The overclock speed is not reflected on the system page of the control panel if it reflects the actual overclocked speed?

It should say: i7 930 @ 2.80 GHz 3.60 GHz )

mine says: i7 930 @ 2.80 GHz 2.79 GHz

the Q6600 reads: q6600 @ 2.40 GHz 3.04 GHz
    My friends system page says the same as mine so it's not just me and I've looked at it at various overclock setting amd with turbo boost on and off with same result.

Thanks,
    Ken

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R very slow to the BIOS screen

I failed to mention on my original post that we had both flashed the BIOS to F5 - the latest on the Gigabyte site but have not tried F6b posted here.

Thanks,
    Ken

Comment

I have a UD7 with a SSD as my boot drive and i still find getting to the BIOS screen takes the longest.... Not sure why though.

I havent tried disabling things like firewire, esata etc..

Just thought id comment, but will be interesting to see what others say.

Silver

Comment

Originally posted by klownboy View Post
        I failed to mention on my original post that we had both flashed the BIOS to F5 - the latest on the Gigabyte site but have not tried F6b posted here.

Thanks,
        Ken
        have you set up first boot device as your os hdd??? try disabling floppy drives also from bios
        Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
        Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
        Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
        Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
        Dual Boot
        1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
        1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
        Ati x1950 pro gpu
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        1050w psu
        Nzxt lexa case
        http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Yes, I originally had the first boot device set to CD/DVD, but I have since changed it to the first hard drive, the VelociRaptor and it didn't make a difference in boot times. And yes, I did also disable the floppy. I was just now looking to see if you could disable the old IDE connector since I have all SATA drives including the DVD.
          Ken

Comment

ide means ide/sata i think its the way gigabyte label it so if you have ide drive it will use ide and sata if you have sata drive,if you want to enable ahci then you need to install drivers before the os or do a reg tweak,it wont display your full overclock in windows mines the same it just shows the default cpu speed,download cpu-z to see your actual cpu overclock speed
            Last edited by warren300; 04-17-2010, 10:20 AM.
            Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
            Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
            Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
            Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
            Dual Boot
            1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
            1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
            Ati x1950 pro gpu
            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
            1050w psu
            Nzxt lexa case
            http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Connect your SATA HDD to SATAII_0 if you have not already, and put your CD/DVD Drive on SATAII_5.

Vista/Win7 control panel often show either the speed at which the system was running when you installed it, or the last time you ran the WEI (sometimes this does not matter). So if you installed at stock speed, it may always say that speed.

Just check with CPU-z to be sure your overclock is being applied.

Gigabyte boards do take while to get going, this is normal, and especially so if you are overclocked because it runs though a few more checks before posting.

I do suggest you go ahead and update to the latest Beta if you have not already. Are you using AHCI now?

Comment

Thanks,

I will try installing the DVD Drive on SATA II_5. My boot drive is on SATAII_0.
                I have checked CPU-z and it does reflect the OCing at least when I'm loading it up with Prime95. I've re-run WEI and it made no difference by the way.
                I will also try the latest BIOS listed on this Gigabyte - for my board it's F6b. I'm currently using F5 from Gigabyte's main site.
                No, on the AHCI question, I'm using IDE emulation for the SATA drives. I've been tempted to try it though I've heard conflicting reports especially for the VelociRaptor on whether it does much of an improvement.
                First I'll try the drive relcation and if there's no change I'll go ahead and do the BIOS update...welll I'll probably do that anyway.

Thanks,
                Ken

Comment

What about Quick Boot? I think that is disabled by default, so try enabling it.

Comment

Originally posted by klownboy View Post
                    Thanks,

I will try installing the DVD Drive on SATA II_5. My boot drive is on SATAII_0.
                    I have checked CPU-z and it does reflect the OCing at least when I'm loading it up with Prime95. I've re-run WEI and it made no difference by the way.
                    I will also try the latest BIOS listed on this Gigabyte - for my board it's F6b. I'm currently using F5 from Gigabyte's main site.
                    No, on the AHCI question, I'm using IDE emulation for the SATA drives. I've been tempted to try it though I've heard conflicting reports especially for the VelociRaptor on whether it does much of an improvement.
                    First I'll try the drive relcation and if there's no change I'll go ahead and do the BIOS update...welll I'll probably do that anyway.

Thanks,
                    Ken
                    Ya, I have only noticed the Windows Freq properties change a few times, and not sure how/when that happens. I know though if you install the OS or CPU at 4.20Ghz for example, then that is what it will say >>

About your OC, are you sure you have C1E and EIST disabled in the BIOS, and are starting from Optimized Defaults and not Fail Safe? If so, your overclock should be constant, it would only downclock if you had speedstep enabled (C1E + EIST). Or you could possibly have some incorrect power settings set in the control panel. Check the advanced power options there and then look here and be sure both are set to 100% >>

AHCI would be easy to switch to, let me know if you want to try that out and I will tell you what you need to change. It likely is not going to help boot times though, maybe benchmarks by a few points though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                      AHCI would be easy to switch to, let me know if you want to try that out and I will tell you what you need to change. It likely is not going to help boot times though, maybe benchmarks by a few points though.
                      x2 - Boot times will be the same - Am using the UD7 but for me IDE/AHCI will not show differences in boot time.

Out of interest...

When you click start, type "msconfig" and press enter - click on "boot" then "advanced options" - You now have "number of processors" and "maximum memory". Ive read various threads about whether this makes a difference or not, and from most of what ive read would suggest its for debugging only. I cant see any improvements in speeds in booting but was curious in why you would you use this to debug?

I think myself its just the boards though when overclocked, as i said earlier it just seems to take a while to post but as you say after that its quick as normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                        Connect your SATA HDD to SATAII_0 if you have not already, and put your CD/DVD Drive on SATAII_5.

Vista/Win7 control panel often show either the speed at which the system was running when you installed it, or the last time you ran the WEI (sometimes this does not matter). So if you installed at stock speed, it may always say that speed.

Just check with CPU-z to be sure your overclock is being applied.

Gigabyte boards do take while to get going, this is normal, and especially so if you are overclocked because it runs though a few more checks before posting.

I do suggest you go ahead and update to the latest Beta if you have not already. Are you using AHCI now?
                        I switched my DVD drive to SATAII_5 and flashed to F6b using Qflash. All 3 drives (2 WD hard drives and the DVD drive) all show as Master now instead of one being a slave.
                        None of the changes however did anything to improve the boot time to get to the BIOS screen...it's still approximately 25 seconds to that point. Yes, Quick Boot is enabled.

I may try AHCI at some point but I doubt it will do anything for this boot issue. I read a thread on Windows 7 Forums on how to accomplish that without reinstalling using registry tweaks. Is there a thread here which discusses that also specifically geared to Gigabyte boards?

I did check "msconfig" advanced tab, it does reflect 8 cores and my 12 gig but the blocks are not checked by default. They're not checked on my Q6600 either.

It just seems so strange that it should take so long to get to the BIOS screen and like I said earlier, a friend has the exact same issue with nearly identical components.

Thanks

Comment

When you say 25 seconds to the BIOS screen, which screen exactly are you referring to, and are you timing this or guessing 25 seconds? Can you make a video of this and upload it and post the URL here?

I just want to have a look myself to see if this is maybe normal because Gigabyte's do take a while to load and if this is your first GBT board you may be used to different things happening with other brands.

In regards to msconfig, I do not have any of those checked either and my systems boots normally in the time I expect it to.

Comment

oooohhh video video video :)

I personally think its half the boad and half the oc settings as when its oc'd it does take longer to post.....

Comment

I actually timed the bootup at least 6 times with a stop watch and it averaged about 25 seconds to the BIOS screen. Since I'm moving I really don't have the time to be video recording unfortunately. Unless I'm going blind, it seems like sometimes I don't actually get the BIOS screen and I get an "Updating DMI pool (or data)" statement (to the best of my recollection) at the top of the screen and then the Windows 7 screens come up. Other times , I boot and get the BIOS screen and immediately after get the "Updating DMI pool (or data)" statement. In anycase, the BIOS or The "Updating DMI pool (or data)" statement is still at about 25 seconds from the press of the button and Windows is complete/usable at around 51 seconds...so it has improved from my very original post but still not as good as my old Q6600 quad core on the ABIT IP35 Pro. So it's possible some of the tweaks suggested did help some (i.e., BIOS from F5 to F6b, DVDdrive to SATA II_5). I don't think OCing slowed down the boot process because I had this slow to BIOS screen problem long before I OCed.

What do other people get for times to the BIOS screen on Gigabyte boards?
                              It is my first Gigabyte board. They were all ASUS or ABIT previously. So I was accustomed to the BIOS screen popping up within seconds of hitting the switch.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X