GA-X58A-UD5 + 930 dissappearing ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-X58A-UD5 + 930 dissappearing ram

Memtest is not stressing everything else though.

Try Memtest86+ using only test 2, then 5, then 7, then 8 for a few hours each, then you might find errors, but then again maybe not.

Comment

ok 1.375 didn't do it i'm at 1.38 now.. post back tomorrow after a night of cool down.

something else to consider here, if it doesn't boot bios showing all 6 gigs.. nothing you can set in bios voltage wise or timings, speed wise will make the chip show up. The only way to get it to show is a full power down and reboot OR when you set something in bios and bios chooses to power off for about 3 seconds by itself.

Comment

This might be of interest to you: http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=4794 or even 12800CL9T-6GBNQ showing as 4GB with 6GB installed - GSKILL TECH FORUM

Downgrading the bios seems to be a fix for this person with x58-ud3r and exact same ram as you -- odd and probably ridiculous, yes I know. Also the person doesn't have the exact same board as you but it might be worth a try. You should probably post there too in order to "alert" the gskill techs that something fishy is going on with the gigabyte x58's and their RAM. Hope this helps
        Last edited by blightning; 04-12-2010, 10:08 PM.

Comment

THANKS!

this happened to me after i upgraded bios.. I'm sure eventually they'll just figure it out.. release a bios that doesn't have problems and i'll be in business.. it's more of just a slight inconvenience than a real issue atm.

Comment

Yeah I was researching this exact problem when my friend was complaining about issues with the g.skill RAM and gigabyte board. It's very frustrating when this kind of stuff happens because downgrading the BIOS is the last thing you'd probably think of doing, especially when newer BIOS is supposed to help fix these sort of issues. My buddy was pretty much raging when we were playing some online games and his computer would shut off at critical moments. He ran perfectly good settings that were rock solid with any other RAM kit but no matter how much voltage he pumped into the QPI or VDIMM with the g.skill's, his computer would still have issues on stock clocks. I'm not bashing on gigabyte or g.skill's products b/c theyre awesome, but it just doesn't make sense to me why a compatibility update would break compatibility.

Comment

well i did have the exact same problem with ocz ram too though.. i swapped out my board and bought the gskill figuring it wouldnt 'happen again.

Comment

Cough Cough ....

Mushkin

Crucial

Comment

whats funny is.. with my last abit board on my e6600 i had major pc2 8500 issues with some cutting edge expensive mushkin.. but the replacement ocz gold ram i bought to use while i (multiple times) RMA'd my mushkin worked flawlessly.

oh well, I have faith someone will cry more than me or gigabyte already knows about it should be solved in the next bios. *crossesfingers*

Comment

Did you try to get help here with your Mushkin/E6600?

Did you try older BIOS like mentioned a few posts back, being sure to clear DMI between the flashes and load optimized after?

If you did and it is working, and now is not in the new BIOS please send in a issue report linking this thread and ask them to forward it to the BIOS Engineers.

If that is the case, they may have changed something or left something out and did not realize it when making the latest BIOS.

Comment

hah, i'm going to live with it for now until a newer version of bios comes out and see if that fixes it. If not i'll go backwards... however like you said it's best to not flash backwards.

Comment

I think the point is that if you don't flash down then we wont know if something in the latest is broken and it's unlikely it'll get fixed in the future until someone reports it. :)

Comment

ok, flashed back to F4 bios since it was the one that was supposed to have added support for my 930 cpu.. i'll start there and post back tomorrow after i've let it cool down.

Comment

Ok well I don't want to get too excited and jinx myself here but.. computer was off for 8 hours.. has the F4 bios instead of the F5 bios installed.. hit power on and all 6 gigs showed up like the old days before i flashed.
                            I'll test it again tomorrow morning as well. Looking good so far. If I isolate the issue to the F5 bios, I guess I'll have to let Gigabyte know somehow.

Comment

Thanks!

Ya, that is what I wanted you to do so we could see if this is a BIOS issue or not. If it turns out you think for sure it is then we will need to let the BIOS team know so they can look into it.

Comment

Not so fast.. even though everything worked fine for teh first time in weeks yesterday cold boot, This morning back to the same old 4 gigs showing vs 6.

I'm not sure if i feel comfortable flashing all the way back to F1 but I might as well try it. This time i'll cold boot it three days i a row and give you my findings.

Comment

Working...
                                X