GA-X58A-UD3R Reboot loop issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X58A-UD3R Reboot loop issue

Upon pressing the power button, computer starts up for appx. 4seconds, then immediately shuts down again. It sits for another 3 or 4 seconds, then starts back up, then shuts down, etc etc. This will continue for seemingly forever. To get it to stop I've got to flip the switch on the PSU.

I've tried removing various components, unplugging and replugging in cables, different # of RAM sticks, clearing CMOS, etc. Nothing seems to get the computer to stay on for more than 5 seconds.

I've read some reviews on newegg and plenty of other sites saying that this is a somewhat common issue, and to RMA the board IMMEDIATELY, as there seems to be no solution to the problem. If this is the case, please tell me right away that more than likely this issue isn't going to go away, so I can begin the RMA process right away, and get another GIGABYTE board.

My system:

GA-X58A-UD3R
    i7 920
    6gb corsair DDR
    600w OCZ PSU
    XFX GTS250 1gb
    1 sata HD. 1 IDE DVD drive and 1 IDE HD.

Thanks to anyone with any thoughts!

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R Reboot loop issue

Is this a new build, or had you been using it for some time already?

If this is a brand new build please try clearing the CMOS fully by removing the battery and unplugging the PSU, then press and hold the case power switch for a minute. Then let it sit for about 5 minutes, then put the battery back, plug it in and see if it will start then or not.

Be sure you have the memory in the correct slots, they must be in the white slots labeled 1, 3, 5 (2, 4, 6 Physical from the CPU)

Sorry, have to ask, you do have the 24pin and the 8pin power cables connected to the board correct? Can you list your exact PSU model or link to it please?

If the full CMOS clear does not help, you have the memory in the correct channels, all cables connected to the board properly, then I would think it could be three things. One would be the PSU is not compatible or not good enough for the board, you have a short somewhere, or you have bent CPU Socket pins.

Have you tried yet with the system out of the case, and OFF the motherboard tray? You may need to try this next, do so with ONLY the CPU/heatink, memory and GFX card, nothing else.

If you check the CPU socket for bent pins use a bright light and be VERY careful. Take pics and post them here if you are unsure

Comment

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

To answer your questions.

- Brand new build. The power supply arrived yesterday.

- I have tried clearing the CMOS by holding down the CMOS button on the rear, removing the mobo battery, holding down the power switch, waiting appx. 1hour, putting battery back in, plugging PSU back in. No luck.

- Memory is installed in the proper slots. I've tried 1+3+5, 1+3, and just 1. None of these configurations produce a boot.

- 24pin and 8pin cables from the PSU are firmly connected. My PSU is an OCZ 600w found here: Newegg.ca - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies

- I haven't yet checked for bent CPU socket pins, but I'll do that next. Also, I will dissect setup and run out of case, on cardboard.

Thanks again for your quick reply.

Comment

Just to be sure, you are using the white memory slots correct? Sorry to ask, but with the change of memory slot configurations from the norm with 775 to 1366/1156 some people still get confused on this.

Did you also try with only one stick of memory, use any white slot and try all three if one does not work? If not please try that, with no hard drives connected.

Several issues with that model/lineup of PSU's on X58 here. Do you have a larger or different model PSU you could test with, just in case this is the issue?

But I would check your pins next if the above memory suggestion does not help, please post pics if you can and or are unsure if pins are bent.
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-07-2010, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any larger PSU's in my home... I always wondered a bit if 600w was enough to run this system, but I figured it had to be... Maybe I'm wrong on this one.

I'll make sure to check for bent pins tomorrow, and barring that try the whole thing out on cardboard.

Comment

It may be ok, wattage wise, but maybe not. I was more concerned with computability, but wattage could be part of the issue as well.

So if you have another 500-600W, just a different brand or model go ahead and try that if you do have one just in case.

One memory stick trick with no drives (HDD or DVD/CD) not work, or did you not try yet?

Comment

No - no more tonight I've spent all day already troubleshooting.

Comment

No problem!

I fully understand! Was just asking, talking out loud for things you could check when your sanity permits

Comment

ocz psu dont seem to work very well with gigabyte boards i remember a few users now who have had problems with that brand
                  Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
                  Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
                  Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
                  Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
                  Dual Boot
                  1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
                  1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
                  Ati x1950 pro gpu
                  Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                  1050w psu
                  Nzxt lexa case
                  http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

And Zalman HP as well I believe

Comment

All I had time to try this morning before heading to classes were different single memory configurations on the board.

Computer continues the restart cycle with a single stick of memory in all three white slots on the board.

Which of my components is most likely to be the issue? A factory-faulty MOBO, or an insufficient / incompatible PSU? I might try to swing by a computer store on my way home today and grab another PSU with more wattage and of a different brand. I would really love to keep this board due to all of the great features it has.

I'll also be checking for bent socket pins tonight. I'll keep you updated!

Comment

I suspect the CPU Socket has bent pins.

PSU could still be to blame, but until you get one you can't be sure.

I'd check the CPU Socket first, then if that is all fine then I would think about borrowing or buying a different PSU to test with. I wouldn't buy one first though, borrow maybe, but not buy in case it is bent socket pins.

Be careful when you check the socket!!

Comment

So I bought a new 650w Antec PSU on my way home today. Once I got back, I fired it into the case, connected everything, and attempted to boot. No luck.

Next step was to check the CPU socket pins. After I removed the heatsink and cpu, I took about 15 careful minutes to inspect the pins. Nothing was bent or out of place as far as I could see (I'm young, so I've still got good eyes :P). However, I don't necessarily know EXACTLY what to look for. So, as you suggested, I took some pictures.

Also, I'm wondering: Each time you remove the heatsink from a CPU, does the old thermal paste need to be removed from the heatsink and CPU, with NEW paste then applied before re-installation of the heatsink? If you don't, can this potentially damage the CPU?

Comment

Thanks!

Yes, you need to clean the CPU and heatsink with cleaner or alcohol and then put on new paste. It wont cause damage using old paste, unless it overheats badly which is unlikely, but it will not cool very well as there will be trapped air bubbles in the paste

Your socket looks fairly fine from what I can see in the images, some too dark and some too bright, I know it is tough to get good images of this.

However I do see one pin that concerns me, can you take a few more images of this one or post any others you might not have posted already that are showing this area. It looks to me like this pin is bent out of place, bottom right quadrant in the corner edge

This pin looks to be BA-5, which is Vss Ground, but that does not meant it could not cause these issues. Any pin could potentially cause this or any other issue, or failure to launch, or nothing at all. Do you have a steady hand? If so, and you feel comfortable try nudging that back into place with a needle, or the empty tip of a mechanical pencil. If you do be VERY Careful, do not push or pull too hard they are SUPER Frail and the tip of the pin will simply break off if you breath on it the wrong way. They can be moved you just must be very careful and not try too hard or too much, if you overbend it the wrong way it will most likely for sure snap off when you bend it back the other way so be sure you do not move it too hard/much.

I am not saying this is something you should do, only letting you know it can be done if you feel comfortable trying to do so. If you do not want to then you may need to RMA, if you can't test with other memory

Page 13 socket layout

Page 59 "BA" pins

No one to let you borrow a 750-850W PSU? Sorry, I just don't have much faith in sub 700W PSU's with X58. I know some work with 550-650 but I have only seen a few and none were the brand you mention. Can you tell me the model and I will see if I can find anyone successfully using that with X58?

Comment

I went back and double checked the pins on the socket; they all seem to be in pristine condition, including the one you pointed out. That photo was taken at a very close proximity to the board, so some lens distortion occurred. You can see the bracket bowing at the bottom quite clearly :P

As for the PSU, this is the model A-Power.com - Buy Antec TP-650 650W TRUEPOWER Power Supply ATX 12V EPS12V 120MM FAN APFC PCI-E 80-PLUS SLI #10755 - TP-650 - Canada

So you're saying that even if all other parts are in perfect working condition, my PSU could still be causing this problem because it's not carting enough power to the system? What I don't understand, is why would the system even start in the first place and then continue to shut down / restart / shut down / restart if the PSU were insufficient. I think part of me really wants to think this is the MOBO's fault due to all of the bad press I've read floating around the web.

Comment

Working...
                              X