Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Won't boot or post

Originally posted by wirefreedom View Post
    Xigmatek has backplate. Do you think it might be causing problems with the CPU or shorting? I'll try it. I tried running the mb on the bench with no CPU cooler fan and no attached devices and still had the same symptoms.
    it will only cause problems if its overtightened,and it wont short if you use plenty of brass standoffs when in the case,personally i think its either the psu or the ram,its rare for it to be mb,and even rarer the cpu,tho i wouldnt rule these out completely,but id try with oher ram and psu first
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Will removing all the RAM have the same effect as trying different RAM?

Btw, when I was seating the CPU the closing arm was quite hard to close. I googled it and others had the same issue. Checked the CPU and it cant see any obvious damage.

Comment

Originally posted by wirefreedom View Post
        Will removing all the RAM have the same effect as trying different RAM?

Btw, when I was seating the CPU the closing arm was quite hard to close. I googled it and others had the same issue. Checked the CPU and it cant see any obvious damage.
        i dont think it will work without ram,and yeah mine was hard to close its just the way its designed,try powering down pc holding front power switch in all the time and turn off rear psu power button all the time holding front power button in keep held for 20 seconds then try
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

another thing to try is the 8 block cpu power plug does it split into two four block plugs??? if so split it and try with just one four pin cpu plug,it will work and run fine as i ran mine with just a 300w psu with one four pin cpu plug
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

OK recap of where we are:

1. You have tried 2 different working PSUs with the build in the case and the problem did not go away correct? With both PSUs you get power to the board and connected fans. If this is the case it is unlikely to be the PSU.

2. You said the problem did not dissappear with the core components assembled on a test bed outside of a case using the same PSU correct? If so this would seem to rule out a case short or an incorrect front panel connection as the source of the problem.

3. You have tried your RAM in another system and it works? If so then this would seem to rule out a RAM problem.

4. Restarts still occur even if you power on the PC with no graphics card in slot correct? So this would seem to rule out the graphics card.

So surely what is left is the motherboard or the CPU as the likely suspects?

The BIOS code 88 you mention is reserved according to:

BloodRage: AWARD & Intel X58 POST Code/Debug LED Guide - XtremeSystems Forums

So do you see any other codes come up or only 88 before it restarts?

Comment

Hi mate, I'm afraid I don't have a suggestion for you but thought I'd share that I have EXACT same problem with my board which is GA-EX58-UD3R. I have tried EXACTLY the same things to get it to work but it just doesn't seem to get out of the reboot cycle.

I even tried wazza300 suggestion to connect the four pin connector, still same thing.

good luck mate and please update here if you make any progress.

Comment

Originally posted by razarf View Post
                Hi mate, I'm afraid I don't have a suggestion for you but thought I'd share that I have EXACT same problem with my board which is GA-EX58-UD3R. I have tried EXACTLY the same things to get it to work but it just doesn't seem to get out of the reboot cycle.

I even tried wazza300 suggestion to connect the four pin connector, still same thing.

good luck mate and please update here if you make any progress.
                what make of psu and ram are you using? did u leave cmos battery out overnight?
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

yeah i left the battery out for over 18 hours, reset the cmos by shorting it and tried next day, no improvement.

i'm using Antec CP-850 and Kingston DDR3 1333 Mhz 2X3 GB

I have tried it with a friend's Cooler Master 550Watts PSU but it still does the same thing. I have tried all three RAM sticks in all white, one at a time. it seems like it doens't get that far to check the RAM and grapphics card, it just reboots within 3-4 seconds. The reason I say this is that it doesn't seem to make any difference if there is any RAM or graphics card connected.

I have even tried with the stock Intel cpu cooler as i thought the Noctua cooler I'm using might have a problem but no improvemnt.

Comment

see sometimes it can be incompatible with some makes of ram but the newer bios's have fixed this only you cant boot into the bios to update it thats why i say to try with another brand of ram....maybe thats whats happening with your boards idk,the only other option is to either rma the board or the ram for testing...and they may charge you if its tested as unfaulty
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

yeah but what puzzles me is that the RAM i have is listed on the gigabyte's site as compatible with the board I have.

HTML Code:
                      http://www.gigabyte.us/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-ex58-ud3r.pdf
                      (KVR1333D3N9/2G on page 2)

unless i find another suggestion from you guys, I'll take the board back to the place I bought it from which will open next week

Comment

Originally posted by razarf View Post
                        yeah but what puzzles me is that the RAM i have is listed on the gigabyte's site as compatible with the board I have.

HTML Code:
                        http://www.gigabyte.us/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-ex58-ud3r.pdf
                        (KVR1333D3N9/2G on page 2)

unless i find another suggestion from you guys, I'll take the board back to the place I bought it from which will open next week
                        yes it might be on the list but does it say what bios version? yours is still on the factory bios which is probably outdated now,mine came with f7 bios its now upto f9 which fixed alot of issues one of which was ram incompatability its just a thought i cant say that its that thats causing problems for you
                        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                        Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

yeah i see your point but unless i can get into bios, can i find out what version it came with as factory default?? or load the latest version?

limited knowledge i have tells me that you need to get into bios to flash it, unless there is another way to flash it?

Comment

no you have to get into bios to do it,just go to the store and tell them what make of ram and that youve tried everything to get it running and ask them to test the board with your ram and some other ram to see whether its the ram or the board
                            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

yeah that's what i'll have to do. I'm just annoyed about the fact that I'll have to wait for a full week until they open next Monday. oh well, not much I can do.

Thanks for your help guys

Comment

wirefreedom I see your useing the I7 920 i could be wrong here but if you just bought the motherboard and if its one of the first one gigabyte made it might have come with the F3 bios if so and I7 920 has D0 stepping was not supported til bios F5

the I7 920 with C0 stepping was supported with F3

look on your intel box to see what version 920 you got

here a list from gigabyte site on what bios supports what chip
                                GA-EX58-UD5 (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - CPU Support List

i no the board wont post so you dont know which bios board has but this is just a suggestion for your problem if you have the CO stepping chip
                                <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_339252", true); </SCRIPT>
                                Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown cooled By Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CPU waterblock
                                Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Water Cooled
                                Corsair Dominator 12GB (6 x 2GB) Model CMD12GX3M6A1600C8
                                2 Gigabyte GTX 480 in SLI
                                6 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM in Raid 0
                                2 Plextor sata Blu_ray Drives Model PX-B320SA
                                Ultra X4 1200 Watt
                                Thermaltake Armor+Thermaltake Bigwater 760 IS
                                Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
                                Creative Gigaworks 750S 7.1 Suround 700 watt
                                Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Comment

Working...
                                X