Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Won't boot or post

Hi,

Just built a new rig this week. When I switch it on, it doesn't even get as far as loading the BIOS. I get the leds on the board to light up. Fans start spinning then it shuts down. Then it starts up again. Then it shuts down again.

I can get it to stay on if I remove the 12v ATX CPU power cable, but obviously that not a useful solution!!

So far I have tried the following so far and each time it still gets stuck in an infinite reboot cycle.

1) Removed all connections to the mobo and reconnected
    2) Removed memory sticks
    3) Removed video card
    4) Removed CMOS battery and left it our for a while
    5) Tried a replacement PSU
    6) Inspected and reseated the CPU (its a very tigh fit, but others seem to have the same experience)
    7) I tried holding the clear CMOS switch down with the machine off and when it's on. When it's on, it just makes the lights stay lit and the fan run until I release the switch. Then it starts all over again.
    8) I have taken the whole rig apart and run it on the bench to check for shorting

I have:

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 3.5″ SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal
    Gainwind NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295

LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS324-08

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

XIGMATEK Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler
    OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory
    COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 Silver Computer Case

Thanks for your time.

Peter

Re: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Won't boot or post

Hi,

Just a thought but the UD5 has 2 mainboard power connectors are they both connected?

1. The main large 24-pin power connector (top-right side) as you look at the motherboard
    2. The smaller supplimentary 8-pin 12V ATX connector (top left of the motherboard as you look at it)

with a power hungry GTX295 card I would think both of these would have to be plugged in. Consult your mobo and power supply manuals to select correct cable to attach to correct plug.

I am not sure whether I understood you correctly but I think it is wise to only hold down the CMOS clear switch whilst the power is OFF not when the PC is on and powered.

I am presuming that you do not hear any beeps because you say the PC does not post, correct?

Comment

Thanks Howard

Both power cables (24 and 8 pin) are plugged in to the mobo. I also have 2 PCI-E plugged into the video card.

No beeps when it powers up. Agree about the CMOS button, I just am trying anything to get this rig working.

Peter

Comment

Ok

Am I correct in thinking you are using the Board as it came out of the box with no updates to the BIOS?

1. If you have an i7 920 processor does it have D0 stepping? You can tell because a thing called the sSpec number should be SLBEJ and can be checked either on the retail box label or the processor itself Processors - Processor Spec Finder: How to Find your sSpec Number

If you do have an i7 with D0 stepping your motherboard BIOS version needs to be F6 or greater as F6 contained a fix for compatability with these processors, latest version is F9m. GA-EX58-UD5 (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS

So you may need to flash your BIOS with latest version (see flashing guide in these forums).

2. Check your front panel connectors for Leds, speakers, power on/off and reset etc. I have known incorrect connections here to prevent posting.

If 1&2 look good then try booting with a minimal setup ie

CPU +cooler
        1 stick of RAM in the correct slot
        1 Graphics card.
        PSU
        BIOS optimised defaults loaded, make sure RAM, Graphics card, cpu cooler and memory are well seated in their slots/sockets

If no post and shutdown/startup cycle persists try the other stick of RAM in the same slot

see how that goes, maybe somebody else will post some ideas in the interim

good luck

Comment

what code does it say on the motherboard clock at the bottom right? c1?? ff??
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Its only ever gets as far as flashing 88 before it power cycles again

Comment

Howard,
              It is a D0 stepping CPU. How do I flash the BIOS if the machine won't get as far as getting BIOS up? Tried pressing DEL, but machine cylces again before it gets to BIOS.

Peter

Originally posted by HowardB View Post
              Ok

Am I correct in thinking you are using the Board as it came out of the box with no updates to the BIOS?

1. If you have an i7 920 processor does it have D0 stepping? You can tell because a thing called the sSpec number should be SLBEJ and can be checked either on the retail box label or the processor itself Processors - Processor Spec Finder: How to Find your sSpec Number

If you do have an i7 with D0 stepping your motherboard BIOS version needs to be F6 or greater as F6 contained a fix for compatability with these processors, latest version is F9m. GA-EX58-UD5 (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS

So you may need to flash your BIOS with latest version (see flashing guide in these forums).

2. Check your front panel connectors for Leds, speakers, power on/off and reset etc. I have known incorrect connections here to prevent posting.

If 1&2 look good then try booting with a minimal setup ie

CPU +cooler
              1 stick of RAM in the correct slot
              1 Graphics card.
              PSU
              BIOS optimised defaults loaded, make sure RAM, Graphics card, cpu cooler and memory are well seated in their slots/sockets

If no post and shutdown/startup cycle persists try the other stick of RAM in the same slot

see how that goes, maybe somebody else will post some ideas in the interim

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by wirefreedom View Post
                Howard,
                It is a D0 stepping CPU. How do I flash the BIOS if the machine won't get as far as getting BIOS up? Tried pressing DEL, but machine cylces again before it gets to BIOS.

Peter
                I am following this thread since I have the exact same problem with a P55A-UD4P (although I do not have a CPU and Video Card yet - I expect some sort of an error message but not constant recycling of the power)

Comment

Its only ever gets as far as flashing 88 before it power cycles again
                  its not the bios,it will boot up with the factory bios installed usually f7 bios mine had no problems,id say its hardware related,either ram/psu/mb or chip its just figuring out which part,did you say you tried with one stick in first white slot from cpu socket??? did you try one stick in the other two slots? it should boot from any white slot
                  Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                  Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

PSU - tried 2 different ones
                    RAM - tried each of 3x2Gb OCZ in white slot nearest CPU
                    CPU - I have inspected and reseated and it seems fine
                    Mb - Not sure how I test for a faulty Mb?

What puzzles me is why it does not power cycle when I remove the 12v ATX power cable to CPU. Obviously it doesn't boot like this, but does that help?

Comment

PSU - tried 2 different ones
                      RAM - tried each of 3x2Gb OCZ in white slot nearest CPU
                      CPU - I have inspected and reseated and it seems fine
                      Mb - Not sure how I test for a faulty Mb?

What puzzles me is why it does not power cycle when I remove the 12v ATX power cable to CPU. Obviously it doesn't boot like this, but does that help?
                      have you tried one stick in the other two white slots? one at a time? and it wont cycle when you unplug cpu power plug as it isnt doing anything then,it needs to be plugged in so that the cpu can work
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

RAM - I tried 1 stick in each white slot in turn. No joy. I also tried with no sticks and again didnt work.

CPU power - I know it wont boot without the 12V ATX plugged. I just wondered if it gave any more clues as to whether it might be the Mb or the CPU.

Is there anyway I can test the Mb without the CPU seated to rule out a faulty Mb?

Comment

RAM - I tried 1 stick in each white slot in turn. No joy. I also tried with no sticks and again didnt work.

CPU power - I know it wont boot without the 12V ATX plugged. I just wondered if it gave any more clues as to whether it might be the Mb or the CPU.

Is there anyway I can test the Mb without the CPU seated to rule out a faulty Mb?
                          i dont think you can other than an rma for mb,would be good if you had another brand of ram to try
                          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                          Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

you know you zigmatech cooler does it have a backplate or push-pins on it? try loosening it a little if it has a screwdown backplate then try
                            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Xigmatek has backplate. Do you think it might be causing problems with the CPU or shorting? I'll try it. I tried running the mb on the bench with no CPU cooler fan and no attached devices and still had the same symptoms.

Comment

Working...
                              X