GA-965P-DS3: system not booting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-965P-DS3: system not booting

I've installed something from the disc that came with the motherboard, but I can't recall what it was. Next up is manually measuring the power supply I guess.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 (S775, 2x2.13GHz, 4MB, 1066MHz FSB), Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, EVGA GeForce 9600 GT SC 512 MB GDDR3, Kingston 2GB DDR2 (2x1GB) PC5300 667Mhz CL5 Dual Channel Kit, Seagate 320GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Barracuda 7200.10, Seagate 50GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Barracuda 7200.12 , Coolermaster Real Power 520W

Comment

It took some time to find my multimeter, but I finally got to measuring the power supply. The meter has a range of
      Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 (S775, 2x2.13GHz, 4MB, 1066MHz FSB), Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, EVGA GeForce 9600 GT SC 512 MB GDDR3, Kingston 2GB DDR2 (2x1GB) PC5300 667Mhz CL5 Dual Channel Kit, Seagate 320GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Barracuda 7200.10, Seagate 50GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Barracuda 7200.12 , Coolermaster Real Power 520W

Comment

Originally posted by Shabbaman View Post
        It took some time to find my multimeter, but I finally got to measuring the power supply. The meter has a range of

All of that sounds perfectly normal to me. Are the issues you ask about, the same from page one still? If so can you please tell me what BIOS you are using and then give me your full MIT Settings

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

CPU = Model #
        Motherboard = Model, Revision #
        BIOS Version =
        Ram = Brand, Model#, Part#, And or Link

Code:
        Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
        CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8] 
        Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
        CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
        CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450] 
        PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
        C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
        System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
        DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 
        Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 
        Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______
        Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 
        Rank Write to READ Delay________ 
        Write to Precharge Delay_________ 
        Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 
        Read to Precharge Delay__________
        Static tRead Value_______________
        Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
        CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
        GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
        DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] 
        PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] 
        FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] 
        (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] 
        CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
        No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
        CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
        C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
        x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
        CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
        CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
        Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
        Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Is there any way to get the MIT readouts in windows, or do I have to write it down manually while I'm in the BIOS?

All the problems I described still persist, although since then I haven't encountered that the system wouldn't power up. The frequency that errors occur seems to have abated, though I'd say that's most likely coincidence. I do have a new symptom that (IMO) would point towards motherboard failure: yesterday my system crashed and after rebooting the keyboard didn't work (no lights (so no power?), no input possible). It's a brand new keyboard (I needed one anyway and I figured that the old keyboard could be a cause of the problems somehow). It's not the port either, because I purposely bought a USB-keyboard and the old one is a, well, classic connector type.

EDIT:

Is this helpful?

Last edited by Shabbaman; 05-12-2009, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Minor bump, with a question:

Memory Frequency 333.3 MHz (4:5)
            I thought this equation should be 1?

Comment

OK, I put in a new PSU but the system still crashes. Sporadically though.

Comment

OK, I put in a new PSU but the system still crashes. Sporadically though.
                Out of interest what make and model of PSU have you been trying? Also when you say it's "Sporadic", is that much different from the symptoms of before, or about the same?
                GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

I replaced it with a Cooler Master Real Power 520W. I put it in last wednesday and the first crash occured today, after two hours of gaming. No problems last wednesday or friday. My reasoning was that even if it wouldn't be the PSU after all I still would like to replace it. Of course it still could be the PSU that caused all the other problems besides the crashes while gaming, and that that is a driver issue. I'm OK with an occasional crash once a week, not with systems that aren't booting...

Comment

I replaced it with a Cooler Master Real Power 520W. I put it in last wednesday and the first crash occured today, after two hours of gaming. No problems last wednesday or friday. My reasoning was that even if it wouldn't be the PSU after all I still would like to replace it. Of course it still could be the PSU that caused all the other problems besides the crashes while gaming, and that that is a driver issue. I'm OK with an occasional crash once a week, not with systems that aren't booting...
                    It sounds like there is an improvement and you are now in a position (like you said) to see if there are any software issues.
                    Now that you can boot up without problem (well I assume you can and were anxious Not to reboot the PC before), you could give the memory a through test with memtest. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool V2.11

Because Vista uses ASLR, memory problems through settings/faults etc could show up under a greater range of circumstances than with previous windows versions - so it's worth running memtest overnight.

ASLR info:-
                    Address space layout randomization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Thread necro :)

For the last few days I've had the same "not booting" problems again. Somehow it seems that after rebooting the system doesn't want to turn on the graphics card. Normally the system turns on and beeps once, the Gigabyte splash screen shows up. If it fails, there's no beep and the monitor doesn't get a signal.

Besides that the system still crashes while gaming. The monitor turns off (because it doesn't get a signal), the sound is still running (actual in game sounds, not a sound effect loop). Occasionally the game crashes to desktop and Vista restores the graphic driver.

I've run memtest from a bootable disc, it doesn't report any errors.

I'm still puzzled how to interpret this. The graphic driver crash and the fact that sound is still normal makes me believe it it's the graphics card, not the motherboard.

So I need another graphics card to test this theory... unfortunately I don't have a decent backup card, so I guess I'll resort to buying one.

@Lsdmeasap:excuse me for being an idiot, but I only just realised what it is you were asking. I don't use any specific setting in the MIT besides "automatically detect". As a matter of fact I just discovered last week what's in the MIT section (apparently, all things corresponding with overclocking). I digged into this part of the bios after I saw that my processor wasn't running at the right speed. This appears to be a power saving setting, if the cpu is stressed it does run at the right speed. I also discovered CIA2, overclocking for n00bs like me :)

Comment

Well it very well could be your GFX Card, or the drivers used for it.

MIT section, do you think you need help with that? Did you at least set your memory voltage manually?

Comment

Well... help... That depends if I have to do anything there. Is it wrong to let the bios determine the voltages automatically?

Comment

Yes, sometimes it is wrong

Please grab a template from my signature and give us your specs and BIOS settings, you can use P35 tempate

Comment

Fine Clock Ratio ____________?
                              CPU Host Clock Control_ disabled
                              CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ 200 (greyed out)
                              PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ auto
                              C.I.A. 2__________________________ disabled
                              System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ auto (memory 667mhz greyed out)
                              DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ ?

Performance Enhance = ?

Static tRead Phase Adjust________

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control ?
                              CPU Clock Skew Control ?
                              GMCH Clock Skew Control ?

System Voltage Control____ auto
                              DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ normal
                              PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ normal
                              FSB OverVoltage Control___ normal
                              (G)MCH OverVoltage Control normal
                              CPU Voltage Control_______ normal

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: disabled
                              No-Execute Memory Protect............: ?
                              CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: ?
                              C2/C2E State Support....................: ?
                              x C4/C4E State Support..................: ?
                              CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: ?
                              CPU EIST Function.........................: ?
                              Virtualization Technology................: ?
                              Integrated Peripherals
                              Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________?</pre>

I can't find the other stuff in my bios. Perhaps the hwmonitor log I posted earlier is useful? It does mention CAS and so on...
                              Last edited by Shabbaman; 09-21-2009, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Some of those are not in your BIOS, but many are that you left blank

These are all in the MIT Section >>
                                Fine Clock Ratio ____________?
                                CPU Host Clock Control_ disabled
                                CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ 200 (greyed out)
                                PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ auto
                                C.I.A. 2__________________________ disabled
                                System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ auto (memory 667mhz greyed out)
                                DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ ?

Performance Enhance = ?

Static tRead Phase Adjust________

System Voltage Control____ auto
                                DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ normal
                                PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ normal
                                FSB OverVoltage Control___ normal
                                (G)MCH OverVoltage Control normal
                                CPU Voltage Control_______ normal

And these are all in Advanced BIOS section >>
                                Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: disabled
                                No-Execute Memory Protect............: ?
                                CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: ?
                                C2/C2E State Support....................: ?
                                x C4/C4E State Support..................: ?
                                CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: ?
                                CPU EIST Function.........................: ?
                                Virtualization Technology................: ?

Integrated Peripherals Section >>
                                Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________?

What BIOS are you using, check on the MAIN Page of the BIOS by pressing F9? If not the latest I suggest you update (F14) >>

Please DO NOT USE @BIOS, use Qflash here is a guide >>

Please also let me know again what memory you are using (Model or Link to it) just to be sure, then post me back your settings and I will advise.

On 965P you may need to use the hotkey to see some settings in MIT, not sure if this has changed in the latest BIOS or not. The hotkey is, on the MAIN page of the BIOS press Control + F1 and the screen will flash, then go into MIT Section and all hidden settings will be visible

Comment

Working...
                                X