Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages

I'm curious as to what would be the best way to set these options for Win 7 Pro 64bit. I'm guess the options I have in red. I'm not using RAID. Currently, for XP Pro 32bit I have the following set (the ones in bold).
    • SATA RAID/AHCI MODE
      • Disabled
      • RAID
      • AHCI Mode
    • SATA PORT 0-3 NATIVE MODE
      • Enabled
      • Disabled
    • ONBOARD SATA/IDE CONTROL MODE
      • IDE
      • AHCI
      • RAID IDE
    Last edited by SBMongoos; 11-29-2009, 09:31 AM.
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (rev 1.1, bios F12), E8400 @ 3.83Ghz, Xigmatek S1283, 2x2Gb OCZ2RPR11504GK Reaper PC2-9500 HPC 1150Mhz, PNY 9600 GSO 768MB PCI-e OC , CoolerMaster 590, WinXP SP3 32bit and Win7 Pro 64 Bit (swappable HDD's via Icy Dock)

Comment

For Non RAID, it depends. You could use AHCI or Just normal IDE Mode (Which is SATA, they just name it that)

Let me know which you want to use and I can advise.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        For Non RAID, it depends. You could use AHCI or Just normal IDE Mode (Which is SATA, they just name it that)

Let me know which you want to use and I can advise.
        I was under the impressin that it was better to use AHCI for Vista or 7. Not sure what the SATA PORT 0-3 NATIVE MODE does.

• SATA RAID/AHCI MODE
          • Disabled

• RAID

• AHCI Mode

• SATA PORT 0-3 NATIVE MODE
          • Enabled

• Disabled

• ONBOARD SATA/IDE CONTROL MODE
          • IDE

• AHCI

• RAID IDE

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (rev 1.1, bios F12), E8400 @ 3.83Ghz, Xigmatek S1283, 2x2Gb OCZ2RPR11504GK Reaper PC2-9500 HPC 1150Mhz, PNY 9600 GSO 768MB PCI-e OC , CoolerMaster 590, WinXP SP3 32bit and Win7 Pro 64 Bit (swappable HDD's via Icy Dock)

Comment

You can use that either way, it just assigns IRQ's to the drive or not. Native enabled is suggested, but either works just fine

AHCI is up to you, not much of a difference really unless you need to hot swap or if you are using SSD.

Comment

You can use that either way, it just assigns IRQ's to the drive or not. Native enabled is suggested, but either works just fine

AHCI is up to you, not much of a difference really unless you need to hot swap or if you are using SSD.
            Okay....so it may make sense to do for Win 7 if I want to hotswap our get an SSD drive down the road. But, this would have to be setup during install of Win 7 correct? Not changed in the BIOS after the fact?

Comment

No, with windows 7 you can change it anytime actually, just need a simple registry edit is all.

So you would do the reg edit, then change the BIOS.

Comment

No, with windows 7 you can change it anytime actually, just need a simple registry edit is all.

So you would do the reg edit, then change the BIOS.
                What's the reg tweak?

Comment

Here ya go, do this then you can change the BIOS setting anytime you like

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes in Vista or Windows 7 by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0

Code:
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start

Comment

I believe there is a performance trick that can be used on Intel ICh boards. One sets the BIOS to RAID, sets up the single disk as JBOD/Non Member RAID (Non Member is basically AHCI but with all the restrictions of a RAID like not being able to flash SSD FW etc) then installs Windows.

After you install you should then be able to enable Intel Matrix Writeback Cache and aux. drive cache for a performance boost. Does nothing for sequential speeds but can help in small random transfers, which happen to be a HDD's weakness.

This is a bit envolved though and you need to know your way around IMSM (there are two cache options, many people miss the second).
                    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Hey, now I am worried maybe?

Where is the second one in Matrix?

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho101 View Post
                        I have my disk set up exactly like you suggest, with the first 12GB used as Swap and if I need the highest speed for any odd job.

The outside of the disk, as well as having the shortest head stroke is also an advantage because speaking scientifically, a disk spins faster at the outside edge. I'm not saying that on a 7200RPM the outside is spinning at 10000 or something. It's hard to explain.

Think of it like this; Immagine the platter of a HDD. It's flat and circular. Imagine a line drawn from the centre to the outside edge (the radial line). along this like you draw one dot near the inside of the disk and another near the outside. Now imagine how long a line you would het if you were able to stretch out the circle formed by the rotation of this dot.

Lets pretend that the drive platter spins at 10 RPM and the inside dot's rotational line stretches out to 1". Also imagine the outside edge dot's rotational path stretches out to 10". From this we can then say that in 1 second, if the heads are at the dot 1 position then 1" of platter goes through the heads per second. In the dot 2 position, 10" of platter goes past the head in 1 second.

If more physical area passes through the head at the outside, then the outside is travelling faster than the inside. Speed = distance/time even with a disk. Don't you just love physics?

It's less beneficial for an OS to be restricted to the 1st partition because of a few things. First the drive firmware will do its best to make sure the disk is filled from the outside in, meaning only the last bits of data to fill the drive will be at the slow end. Second, you have Boot Defrag, Prefetcher etc in XP, Vista and 7 which will move all the needed files at boot and all program files to the very outside edge of the disk.

The reason a page file benefits is because the drive firmware over rides the logic of placing things at the edge when doing a lot of little random writes, as if it didn't 4K write performance would be even more horrible than it is now on HDD's. Performance would suffer immensely.
                        You set your swapfile to a fixed sized based on the amount of RAM do you do let the sytem manage it? I've been using 1.5 X amount of RAM and setting it to a fixed size. Curious since you're using a partition for your swapfile.

Setting my WD Black up now and Perfectdisk put the swapfile in the center of that 12Gb partition I made. Which IS the first partition by the way. Arrived in the very cold last night. Suprised the UPS man didn't ring the door bell. Found it when I let the dog out. LOL
                        Last edited by SBMongoos; 12-04-2009, 11:48 AM.

Comment

I've got mine set to 4GB minimum and 11GB max, just in case.
                          Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                          Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                          Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                          TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                          2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                          2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                          Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                          Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                          WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                          Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                          Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                          3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                          Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

To prevent or lessen fragmentation you guys should be using the same size for Max/Min on your pagefiles

Comment

Agreed, about the min/max I also make my PF 128MB or so because it's not needed as a gamer at least. (some applications like UltimateDefrag do require it on even if a small amount or I'd have it off completely)

I also use UD to place it (along with the MFT, USN Change Journal, Logfile, etc.) at the beginning of my HD for maximum performance along with my high performance data. (Windows/Games)

Comment

To prevent or lessen fragmentation you guys should be using the same size for Max/Min on your pagefiles
                                Ditto.
                                1) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (rev 1.1, bios F9) E8400 @[email protected] bios, TRUE 120, Scythe UltraKaze 44cfm, 4x2gb GSkill 8500, Visiontek 3870, Corsair TX850, Antec 900, Win7-64 Home.
                                2) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (rev 1.1, bios F9) E8400 @[email protected] bios, TRUE 120, Schythe UltraKaze 44 cfm, 4x2gb Buffalo FireStyx 8500, XFX 5770, Corsair AX850, CM Scout, WinXP Pro/Win 7-64 Home.
                                3) Gigabyte P55A-UD4P (rev 1.0, bios F5) i5 750 @[email protected] bios, CM Hyper 212+, 4x2gb G.Skill Ripjaw 1600, 7900GS, Corsair TX750, CM Scout, Win7 Pro-64.
                                4) Asus P8Z68-V Pro (bios 0801), i5-2500K @[email protected] cpuz, Megahalem rev.B, 4x4gb GSkill Sniper 1600, Corsair AX850, Antec 902, Corsair Performance 3 128GB, Win7-64 Home.

Comment

Working...
                                X