Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte EX58-UD5 sees only 4gb instead of 6bg

Hi all,
    I've build a new rig (MB Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 + Intel i7 920 + 6Gb ram) and something weird is happening here.
    Vista 64 listes only 4Gb of ram while cpu-z sees all 6gb
    Ram is Corsair TR3X6G1333C9 (6gb)

In the BIOS (F4R latest available) under the 'Standard CMOS features' menu there is listed only 4096mb of Ram but under the M.I.T. menu I can access all three modules (timing, voltage...)

Can this be a BIOS bug?

you can see here what i mean:

Thanks in advance to anyone that have any clue.

Stefano

Re: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 sees only 4gb instead of 6bg

Have you installed Vista 64 Service Pack 1?
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
      Have you installed Vista 64 Service Pack 1?
      Hi VorLonUK,
      thanks for your reply and yes, sp1 is installed. I've done further testing and I think have a defective mb...
      I've switched the ram sticks each other and discovered that if slot 1 and 3 are plugged (slot 5 free) I see only 2gb of ram, if slot 3 and 5 are plugged (slot 1 free) I see 4gb...
      So ram slot 1 is defective...
      Still wondering why cpu-z recognizes all 3 channels.

Comment

Have you checked the memory options on page 16 of the PDF document (and probably handbook) for Dual and Tri channel configurations?
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
          Have you checked the memory options on page 16 of the PDF document (and probably handbook) for Dual and Tri channel configurations?
          Yes, I've checked that. I've a three-channel kit from corsair (XMS 3 classic TR3X6G1333C9) and the sticks are plugged in the white sockets (ddr3_1, ddr3_3, ddr3_5). I dont know what else to do...

Comment

I see you have the latest bios, but I'm only seeing version F3 on the GB website. Where did you obtain that version you have? And did all the memory get detected with the previous bios version?

Edit:-
            Well F3 appears to be the last Stable proper release and as i said on another thread, scanning through the bios Info thread, F4L seems to look reasonable. Again it is a beta Bios, but no doubt worth a try. You do need to Stop when you find a beta bios that works in the main, until a final Proper Version is released, otherwise you will be giving yourself a headache.

F4L:-
            Last edited by VorLonUK; 12-21-2008, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Check the following thread.
              A guy with an evga X58 had a problem where he thought his third mem channel was dead (he could also only see 4gb). Turns out it was a BIOS glitch, and he posted instructions to resolve the problem.

Third Memory Channel back from the Dead!

P.s. This procedure seems to fix a lot of problems with these boards: S3, reboot loop.....
              Windows 7 Pro 64 | OCZ Vertex 120 | Cosmos S
              Gigabyte P67A-UD5-B3 (F6) | Enermax Revolution85+ 1050w
              i7 2600k | 2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | EVGA GTX570 SC
              Apogee XT | Magicool 360 Radiator | MCP35x Pump + v.2 Res

Comment

thanks to all who replied.
                I've tried the fix linked in the evga forum step by step but no way, I still got only 4gb of ram instead of 6gb and so I cannot use three-channel mode that is a show stopper for me... Well, I should go to rma the mobo to my local dealer

Comment

Originally posted by diobrando View Post
                  thanks to all who replied.
                  I've tried the fix linked in the evga forum step by step but no way, I still got only 4gb of ram instead of 6gb and so I cannot use three-channel mode that is a show stopper for me... Well, I should go to rma the mobo to my local dealer
                  I had exact same problem as you (even the RAM brand and specs are the same). About 15 min ago I have tried that fix but with a few differences and I did solve the problem. For the record:

Step 01. Power down system, switch off power to PSU and unplug the cable.
                  Step 02. Remove all memory modules except one in slot DDR3_1 (white colored; see User's Manual, page 16)
                  Step 03. CLEAR CMOS using the respective jumper (see User's Manual, page 37)
                  Step 04. Plug-in PSU cable and switch on the power.
                  Step 05. Start-up PC and hit DEL to enter BIOS
                  Step 06. Hit F8 to run Q-Flash, follow instructions and flash BIOS to version F3.
                  Step 07. Once Q-Flash is done, repeat Step 1 only.
                  Step 08. Insert 2nd RAM in slot DDR3_5 (first slot from the right).
                  Step 09. Repeat Steps 4-7. But this time, flash BIOS to version F4r.
                  Step 10. Insert 3rd RAM in slot DDR3_3 (white colored; see User's Manual, page 16)
                  Step 11. Plug-in PSU cable and switch on the power.
                  Step 12. Star-up PC and logon Windows.

That's it. Good luck. ;)

Try this one more time. Maybe it will save yourself a lot of hassles with your Mobo local dealer.

Cheers,

JRook

PS: The only problem with BIOS F4r (all F4betas for that matter) is that it reads the 1333Mhz RAM as being 1066Mhz but, we can fix it by setting up the multiplier up to 10x.
                  Last edited by Johnny Rook; 12-23-2008, 05:14 PM.
                  System Components: Intel i7 920 C0 @ 4,0Ghz; Gigabyte EX58-UD5 (X58-EXTREME F12 BIOS); Sapphire HD5970 2GB OC Edition; Western Digital Blue 500GB; Seagate 7200.12 1000MB; 6GB Corsair 1333Mhz DDR3; DVD-RW LG; Corsair TX750W
                  Watercooling System: EK-Supreme Skt 1366 WaterBlock + EK backplate Skt 1366; Kit EK-FB GAX58 WaterBlocks; Aqua-Computer AquagratiX 5970 WaterBlock; 360mm Thermaltake radiator; 360mm BI Stealth X-Flow radiator; Laing MCP355 pump; EK-DDC X-TOP rev.2 Plexi
                  Danger Den Plexi E/S 1/2" reservoir; 4x A.C. Ryan UV 120mm; 3x Tacens Ventus PRO ICE 120mm; 2x NoiseBlocker Black Silent XE2 92mm; Liquid Cooling FESER Black; FESER tubing 3/8" ID and 5/8" OD; Enzotech Compression Fittings G 1/4

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Rook View Post
                    I had exact same problem as you (even the RAM brand and specs are the same). About 15 min ago I have tried that fix but with a few differences and I did solve the problem. For the record:

Step 01. Power down system, switch off power to PSU and unplug the cable.
                    Step 02. Remove all memory modules except one in slot DDR3_1 (white colored; see User's Manual, page 16)

JRook
                    Hi JRook,
                    many thanks for your help but DDR3_1 (white) is the socket that fails, pc doesn't boot-up at all following STEP 02. I've tried anything possible but cannot get it working properly so still without three-channel...
                    I'm truly temped ditching my gigabyte mobo for an Asus or DFI

Stefano

Comment

Hi,

i'm also building a new i7 rig using Gigabyte UD5 with G.Skill 1600 6GB. The freaking MB will not detect 6G under 3 Channels (white slot 1, 3, 5). It however see 4 GB under dual channels.

I've tried everything under the sun including flashing the BIOS to f4. althought they advertise that they support all the way up to ddr3 2100+, it fails with even a simple 3 channel setup with no OC. i think Gigabyte released this motherboard prematurely.

I'm seeing many other complaints similar to this about the whole 3 channel ordeal elsewhere. I'm completely upset because the layout of the mb is perfect for 3 sli or cfx, where as the similiarly priced Asus P6t has a crappy 2nd PCIx16; therefore hindering 3 sli/cfx.

Comment

hey guys, i have the SAME BOARD as you guys and i was experiencing the same problem. My RAM would only show as 4gbs instead of 6gbs and it was aggravating the **** out of me. But, the funny part is this the board isn't really defective. I Fixed it by loosening up the CPU screws just a lil bit and viola! it works! now it shows as 6gbs. I tightened it back up to see if it was the problem and it was the problem..... yeah i know, really weird. But, i hope it fixes your problem guys. :)

Comment

What the make/model of your RAM? Were you able to run it in 3 channel mode?

My problem is with 3 channel mode with this ram:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Originally posted by Phusion PC View Post
                          hey guys, i have the SAME BOARD as you guys and i was experiencing the same problem. My RAM would only show as 4gbs instead of 6gbs and it was aggravating the **** out of me. But, the funny part is this the board isn't really defective. I Fixed it by loosening up the CPU screws just a lil bit and viola! it works! now it shows as 6gbs. I tightened it back up to see if it was the problem and it was the problem..... yeah i know, really weird. But, i hope it fixes your problem guys. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Phusion PC View Post
                            This may well mean you do

Comment

Originally posted by Idle View Post
                              This may well mean you do
                              Or the board is not defective, but those annoying push pins for the i7s are plain clumsy to use. i have problems with mine all the darn time. i plan to get the Thermaltake Ultra 120 which comes with screws instead.

however, that doesn't mean that gigabyte mb's are not problematic. the Asus P6T has no ram compatibility issues, yet this sucker is not taking a G.Skill 6 GB 1600mhz designed for i7. GRRRRRR

Comment

Working...
                              X