Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EP35-DS3 Problem?

Thanks for all the help.

I just tried setting the BIOS to optimal setting, and Initial Display Setting to PEG but this does not work.

Upping PCIE overvoltage to 0.2V does not work either.

I am hoping it is the card that is faulty, not the motherboard. It will be challenging to RMA the card though, as the retailer probably does not sell it in store anymore. I will test the card sometime next week and post the results here.

Cheers.

Comment

Ya, I bet you it is the card. try to test it at a friends house soon and then you can get you a RMA or refund going before you run out of time

Comment

I have the same problem, and i had the same problem using an evga 8800 gts (g92).
        My monitor slowly blinks it's way on during 1 bootup of the day, but mostly fine after that. I can turn off the pc, and turn it back on later, and most of the time it will display right away, sometimes very slowly. I can oc the card, ran benchies, whith my gtx, i got 16,789 in '06, with sm2 @ 7844 and sm3 @ 8212, which shows no sign of slowdown because of the 1.1 interface. And i oc'ed the card to 700c/1475sh/1127mem-(2254 effective).

I know the difference between 1.1 and 2.0 is just voltage and bandwidth are doubled with 2.0. 75watts and 2.5gb's for 1.1 and 150w and 5gb's for 2.0. I know my card doesn't come close to saturating the bus as only 4870X2 are "rumoured" to come close.

I am tending to think that the 75 watts isn't enough to properly power my card on, but i can't find any other people having this problem with 2.0 vcards and this mobo. I probably have a defective slot. And it's too late to rma.

So I have tried all of the above, along with raising pci-e v to 0.3, except running the bus over 100, which the above poster didn't mention whether or not he tried it, I would like to know before i go messing with it and screw up my gtx. I really wish i got a p45 board.
        It was just a few bucks more, but i read the newegg reviews and nobody posted this dam problem. And i am on a very tight budget after dumping my problematic mid-end amd set-up. I was having sli and usb problems with the crappy nvidea 590 chipset.

1/2 the time it would reckognise my usb mouse, and i couldn't put even a very slight oc on the vcards, or it would lock up or blue screen. If anybody that has this video problem and would post if raising the pci-e speed on the bus helped, please let me know. I'm getting worried this is going to damage my vcard.
        Last edited by jazluvr; 11-05-2008, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jazluvr View Post
          I have the same problem, and i had the same probelm using an evga 8800 gts (g92).
          My monitor slowly blinks it's way on during 1 bootup of the day, but mostly fine after that. i can oc the card, ran benchies, whith my gtx, i got 16,789 in '06, with sm2 @ 7844 and sm3 @ 8212, which shows no sign of slowdown because of the 1.1 interface. And i oc'ed the card to 700c/1475sh/1127mem-(2254 effective).

I know the difference between 1.1 and 2.0 is just voltage and bandwidth are doubled with 2.0. 75watts and 2.5gb's for 1.1 and 150w and 5gb's for 2.0. I know my card doesn't come close to saturating the bus as only 4870X2 are "rumoured" to come close.

So I have tried all of the above, except running the bus @ 101, which the above poster didn't mention whether or not he tried it, I would like to know before i go messing with it and screw up my gtx. I really wish i got a p45 board.
          It was just a few bucks more, but i read the newegg reviews and nobody posted this dam problem. And i am on a very tight budget after dumping my problematic mid-end amd set-up. I was having sli and usb problems with the crappy nvidea 590 chipset.

1/2 the time it would reckognise my usb mouse, and i couldn't put even a very slight oc on the vcards, or it would lock up or blue screen. If anybody that has this video problem and would post if raising the pci-e speed on the bus helped, please let me know. I'm getting worried this is going to damage my vcard.
          So as per the original poster, you are saying you have had a 8800GTS (g92) and now have a GTX260 and both these cards run at X1 in your motherboard (ep35-DS3L)?

Edit:
          To Original poster:-
          A long shot, but have you tried updating the Intel chipset "driver"
          Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-05-2008, 01:18 PM.
          GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Last edited by jazluvr; 11-09-2008, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Nope I have not tried Intel chipset drivers. I had a look at the available drivers not sure which one is applicable. They do not seem to have Vista versions.

Comment

Intel chipset packages are universal, 32/64bit xp/vista installers. The package will run and scan/install anything that needs updated >>>>

Windows 2000/XP/Vista 32/64bits/2003 server/2008 Server Multi Language 9.1.0.1007 WHQL

I still say you will need to RMA your card though as this is most often the problem and not the board/settings. Did you ever get to test it at a friends?

Comment

I'm sorry if i seemed to hijack his thread, but he is the only one i found that is having the same problem i am. Looks like I'm going to be looking at nvidea's physics and see how that works and if my asus m2n32 board won't suffer the stupid ailments of sli that it did if i just use my extra g92 as a physics card.

I don't like the fact that this board might be slowly killing my gfx card. And my monitor.
                  ---------
                  Edit; I called their tek support and some guy said to flash the bios to latest. Now, contrary to what everybody has been saying, NOT to use @bios, i have read elsewhere, (i think it was a user review from newegg), somebody said to use @bios only. I used it to flash to f5 from f4, and it worked fine. On dfi and asus boards, i find that windows is a much more stable environment to flash than a floppy, which is very old tek., and untrustworthy, imho.

So I'm going to try to flash the same way it woked before for me and let's see what happens. By the way, why do gigabyte include this as a way to flash if it isn't safe? Corporations...hate 'em.
                  ---------------
                  2nd Edit; Ok, so i flashed the bios succesfully to f6a, the latest one, just by saving the .exe file to desktop, then after saving my old bios and naming it simply f5 bios w/ 3.7ghz oc, rebooting, setting optomised settings, let it reboot, my monitor came right on. But as i have said before, it usually behaves normally after the 1st boot of the day.

So i will have to wait until tomorrow to see if the monitor boots up normally, then i will call them and we will start a trouble ticket, and hopefully get this resolved. Maybe they will even let me upgrade to a p45 chipset board if i make up the difference $$-wise. That would be nice, cuz i got my eye on that p45-ud-something, (need to see models again, i remember which one.) That has a pci-e 2.0 slot. Heatpipe cooling too for pwm's and nb.
                  Last edited by jazluvr; 11-06-2008, 04:20 PM.

Comment

On dfi and asus boards, i find that windows is a much more stable environment to flash than a floppy, which is very old tek., and untrustworthy, imho.
                    I'm sorry that just isn't correct.

I use the floppy DOS method, but Q-Flash is absolutely fine and can be initiated from different media.

The problem with @Bios and any utility like it that runs in Windows, is that the enviroment is multi-tasking. That is where the problem starts and finishes.

It's not all about the integrity of the bios Image or even the utility that flashes the bios via windows, but the fact that windows is always doing something else! (and often when you don't want it to)

You can be assured if you use QFlash or A Floppy Dos boot disk for flashing your bios, that you are assigning nearly all your resources exclusively for just that ONE task, ie uninterupted in any way.

It's NO doubt that when using any critical windows utility, such as @Bios that the running of a scheduled item, such as AntiVirus, WinDefender, or services such as SuperFetch (in Vista), or Indexing, or simply any background task you might not even be aware of may have the affect of interfering the re-programming of the bios chip.
                    Unlike where say data packets over the internet for example will be re-transmitted if they reach you corrupted and short of monitoring this, you aren't normally made aware, ie it's no big deal. However it's a completely different thing if the reprogramming of your bios chip is interupted and this often results in a very big deal as the bios can end up corrupted.

Best to play safe and make sure when you are Flashing (reprogramming) the bios, that it's the ONLY task you are performing. Seeing it only takes a few minutes anyway, why risk it?
                    Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-06-2008, 07:03 PM.
                    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Someday people will listen.... But not soon enough sadly

Warnings and proof are there...........

Yet people still say "He said it was ok.... So I did it anyway"????

Comment

Now, contrary to what everybody has been saying, NOT to use @bios, i have read elsewhere, (i think it was a user review from newegg), somebody said to use @bios only. I used it to flash to f5 from f4, and it worked fine. On dfi and asus boards, i find that windows is a much more stable environment to flash than a floppy, which is very old tek., and untrustworthy, imho.
                        I trusted the fact that Gigabyte offered @BIOS, and used it one time. I lost two weeks to an RMA. I'll never flash from a Windows desktop again, no matter what brand mobo. Fooled me once.

DOS runs in REAL mode, where all the hardware is focused on a single active command, and runs that command until it completes or is cancelled.

Windows utilizes pre-emptive multi-tasking, and schedules multiple simultaneous commands in PROTECTED mode, and accesses hardware through abstaction layers. If you want to flash a hardware chip, you want it to run to its completion, without sharing any processing time with any other running services. If you attempt to flash the mobo BIOS chip from an operating system kernel through abstraction layers while other services are running in PROTECTED mode, you're subjecting the seamless process to interruptions from the pre-emptive scheduling managers. You'll need more than luck to win every time, and failure is not an option.

Q-Flash from a floppy works great. Q-Flash will also work from a FAT partition on a USB drive or hard disk. Q-Flash is too easy to not use. Read Lsdmeasap's stickies for step-by-step instructions. That comment about floppies being old & untrustworthy is utter nonsense. They aren't capable of much, but what they do they do well. Don't trust everything you read at the egg. And memorize this webpage just for kicks & grins.
                        Last edited by jfk&g; 11-07-2008, 07:35 AM.
                        Gigabyte P35-S3G . 50mm Fan on MCH +0.2v
                        Intel E6500 (9 x 420) 3780mHz 1.33125v
                        G.Skill 4x1GB
                        PC2-6400-NQ
                        840mHz +0.2v
                        Gigabyte HD4850 . Acer X223W . Acer X193W+
                        Rosewill
                        RP500-2 . WD WD3200AAJS . Masscool 8WA741

Comment

I have not had the chance to test the card on a friend's computer, he will be back in a couple of days. How would I test the card? I am thinking of installing the card, then running GPU-Z to see if the full 16 slot width is detected, and also if any BSOD's appear. I will probably do the vice versa with his GPU on my motherboard just to make sure it isnt the motherboard.

Comment

Ya, that is all you need to do on your friends PC. Uninstall his card, reboot and clean out his drivers. Then shut down and put in your card and start the system, install the drivers and then reboot and check with GPU-z

Here is Driver Cleaner Pro and or Driver Sweeper (I use Pro normally but both are good) >>>
                            Driver Cleaner Professional download from Guru3D.com

Guru3D - Driver Sweeper (Setup) download from Guru3D.com

Comment

Vorlonuk, i am using my old asus m2n32 sli deluxe right now because my gigabyte is now borked, thanks to the tek support guy who said it was ok to use @bios. I get a continuous bsod and it just keeps rebooting.

In the past I have updated the bios 2X on this asus board using a windows flash utility, and it's working fine. And at the time, i was a member of a forum where more than one member agreed that windows environment was fine to flash bios in. Maybe it was because we only had single core cpu's and not enough muli-tasking or none at all was taking place, but what you say makes sense. But wouldn't the average person take the word of one of the companies tek support people instead of just some peron on a forum? (no offense).

The reason i wanted to switch to intel is mostly because nvidia sucks at sli, so i just wanted a cheap single gfx card (gtx260) and an intel cpu, i heard so much about the e8400 i fell into the belief it would be so much better.

My programs load faster with my old amd 6400@ 3.2ghz, than with the intel e8400 oc @ 3.7ghz. Everything feels "snappier".
                              Now i have to deal with gigabyte to see what they will do about this.

Why would a company say it's ok to use their software when it isn't?? That is absolutley rediculous and very decieving if you ask me. I gotta come here and listen to "warnings" not to use giga's software, when they highly tout it? What does that say about this company? Why is their rma thread closed and empty?

Most companies allow open discussion about such things and are way more transparent than this. I could name a few, but there's no need to. Just go to it and you'll see it in most reputable companies forums.

It reminds me of asus...the companies forums and support are a joke, and some members got tired of it and put up a member's forum, and it is very nice. Great support, admins and mods and members are great, (like here) but at least the company doesn't put out software that kills the product.

I just hope i am not out $100 because i was told to flash bios and @bios was ok to use. This is bad business practice and completely unnacceptable. Don't get me wrong, i appreciate you and lsd's help very much, and I'm not an a$$hole, but when a company tells me it's ok to use the software, and it breaks the mobo, (if it wasn't already borked), that is pretty dam hypocritical, irresponsible and just plane lame.

lswon9, again, I apoligise if i hijacked your thread, but you're the only other person to have posted this problem, so i wanted to "join your club", for lack of a better phrase. I hope you get your problem resolved. Good help here. I should have listened to them.
                              -----------
                              Edit; I also find it unnerving that I never had any problems with my monitor displaying at boot-up until i installed the gigabyte board. I think it had a fried pci-e socket, and all this messing around in bios to increase pci-e voltage (which should NOT be neccesary) as I'm not having problems with my asus board pci-e slots, and they are not 2.0, they are 1.1. And they work fine with my gfx card and my sammy 930b 19" monitor at default settings.

Now my 22' sammy does the same thing on the asus board. but not on my 930b! The gigabyte board fried my dam monitor! I called Samsung and explained the whole story to them, and they are sending a replacement right to a ups store down the street, and all i have to do is bring in my broken monitor to trade in.

They even gave me like, 3 different options on what to do....send in my monitor for fixing, (they pay shipping both ways), send mine in for replacement 1st, then get another sent directly to my house, or have them send the replacement to a ups store right down the street for exchange, which i prefered. They don't even need a reciept! Now that's good company policy.

But it's a used monitor. It's not going to be the same, having a brand new flawless monitor that i am-was the only owner of it. and i have this gigabyte board to thank for that. I called gigabyte, but they are closed today, so i will call them tomorrow, and see what they will do.

I bet the only thing they will offer is a replacement board. a used one, of coarse. I bet they won't give me a refund, or let me get a better board if I was willing to pay a little extra. I don't know if i want to go through the hassle of getting another bum board...maybe from a bad batch.

Or bad slots that will kill my next sammy 22". I just might keep my asus board, and upgrade to a faster cpu for socket am2-am2+, just oc this to 3.4 or so. It seems to be kicking the e8400's a$$ as far as watching demos go with fraps showing great framerates, if you think in terms of if i could oc this amd to 3.7, it would sweep the floor with the e8400.
                              We'll see what Monday brings.
                              Last edited by jazluvr; 11-09-2008, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Finally got to test my friends GPU on my motherboard. GPU-Z is detecting the full link width x16. And there is no more BSOD!! So the problem lies with my GPU. I will get my card changed tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's help :)

Comment

Working...
                                X