EP35-DS3 Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP35-DS3 Problem?

My computer gets a "nvlddmkm.sys" error on the INITIAL startup, i.e. when the computer is switched off. After I restart it, I can get into windows. But I am having problems with sound and graphics. The sound skips a bit when I log onto windows and the windows theme song is played. Using on-board sound.

This is more obvious when playing games, like Call of Duty 4. The frame rates and sound slow down occasionally. But with my system, it should be able to play on maximum setting with no trouble from what I've read online.

My system is as follows:
    Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit
    EP35-DS3
    E8400 Overclocked 3.6ghz
    Gigabyte 8800GT 512mb
    2x2GB Transcend 800mhz

When I first built the computer a half a year ago, I used Windows XP, there were no problems. But then it started to crash randomly giving the "nv4disp_dll" error. That's when I reinstalled vista, but now I'm getting the
    nvlddmkm.sys error.

I have tried reinstalling different drivers for the GPU, swapping the memory to different DIMMs, reinstalling Vista but nothing seems to work. It seems to me like it is a motherboard problem?

Re: EP35-DS3 Problem?

It is a Nvidia error. You do have the latest Chipset drivers installed right? If so all you can do is try older or newer Nvidia drivers

Here you can get all releases, old and new >>>

Download NVIDIA drivers | drivers for mobile cards and laptops | laptopvideo2go.com

Is you card temps ok, and your PSU good enough for the card? Just checking since you said it can happen more when gaming

You can also try one of the MANY fixes/BIOS's out there for this >>>
    nvlddmkm.sys - Google Search

A replacement file here >>>
    nvlddmkm.sys - TechNet Forums

Maybe hotfix here >>>
    AnandTech: A Messy Transition (Part 3): Vista Buys Some Time

You do have all updates from MS installed right? Are you overclocking your card at all? If so lower it some, as it IS a Card/driver issue

Here is a Checklist of things to look into >>>
    Answer
    NVLDDMKM.SYS - The Truth? - Bjorn3d.com Forums brought to you by XFX

I do suggest you test your ram one stick at a time first as well, with Memtest86+ (Must be this newer version 2.01) >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

YOu may also be interested in reading these possible fixes >>>

Welcome to the official website for Ubisoft, creator of Assassin's Creed, Just Dance, Tom Clancy's video game series, Rayman, Far Cry, Watch Dogs and many others. Learn more about our breathtaking games here!

Many drivers do and do not have this issue, so you will have to try one of the above fixes if you ram and PSU and card temps are ok, or try several older or newer/beta drivers
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 11-02-2008, 10:55 PM.

Comment

I have tried the latest NVidia drivers, and several others that are known to solve the issue but did not fix the issue. PSU is not an issue I have checked using other PSUs.

Card temps are fine, and shouldn't be an issue as the BSOD only appears on the initial startup.

I have also tried updating the bios to the latest, but still getting BSOD. The GPU was factory overclocked. I underclocked it to normal speed but same issue.

I will do Memtest86+ on each of the ram one at a time. Will post back after I finish.

Btw, is it possible that the choppy sound issue could be due to either ram or motherboard since I'm using on-board sound?

Comment

What happens if you run the CPU at stock?
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Last edited by lswon9; 11-03-2008, 09:55 PM.

Comment

A couple of other things you could try:-

Have you installed the Service pack for Vista?

Also because it's at bootup, have you checked with CheckDisk, chkdsk c: /v (from command prompt) to see if there are any disk errors.

What Nvidia drivers have you tried and are you using some of the latest ones with the PhysX package included?
            Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-04-2008, 03:45 AM.
            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

I think I *may* have found the problem for the low performance. I ran GPU-Z and noticed the BUS interface is set to PCI-E 2.0x16@x1. It should be PCI-E 2.0x16@x16.

How do I set it to x16? I looked at the bios but theres no option for that. Not sure if this is related to the BSOD, but I am hopeful this will solve the in-game performance.

I have service pack for vista installed. Will run checkdisk.

I am currently using driver v.178.13. I have also tried 20.08, 174.74, 175.19, 177.39.

Comment

That's weird...

Is this with the latest version or a recent version of GPU-z..

My board and card are similiar to yours, so I see with GPU-z at PCI-e 2.0 x 16 card with a PCI-e 1.0/1 x 16 Motherboard.

I don't know what would scale the speed down if it is indeed GPU-z is reporting correctly. Short of the card not seated properly or the card is not in the X16 graphics slot - although I wouldn't have thought you could get it in a 1x slot - I've never tried!

EDIT:
                Take a look here:-

I would definately check that you have set PEG rather than PCI in the bios, plus unplug the PC from the mains supply, remove the graphics card and then reseat it.
                Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-04-2008, 06:32 AM.

Comment

This is with GPU-z v.0.2.8.

I have already tried reseating the card. I'm not an expert isn't the x1 slot shorter?

I did try increasing/decreasing the PCI-E frequency but still nothing...

I think this narrows the problem down to either the GPU or the motherboard. I will try the GPU on a friend's computer to see if it detects x16. Likewise I will borrow his GPU to see if my motherboard detects x16 too.

Comment

Having a read up on the subject, seems there is no definitive answer to this.

It seems some people have cured it (as you mention) by altering the PCI-e frequency and/or voltage. Some have had success reseating the card and some by updating the bios. Also try setting the PCI-e frequency to 100Mhz rather than it being set to Auto.

Also some have had some luck by:-
                    Try setting the PCI-E frequency to 101 and upping the PCI-E voltage by +0.1. If that doesn't do the trick, knock up the MCH(?) voltage by +0.1 as well. Did the trick for me and I haven't had any problems since.
                    Also read that some earlier Antec PSU's may have contributed to the problem.
                    Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-04-2008, 07:09 AM.

Comment

I saw the post too. Tried all the suggestions but no luck >.<
                      This is starting to point towards faulty hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by lswon9 View Post
                        I saw the post too. Tried all the suggestions but no luck >.<
                        This is starting to point towards faulty hardware.
                        What PSU do you use and do you power your 8800GT via a direct 6 pin PCI-e power connector from the PSU or a 6 PIN PCI-e Connector that is derived from two (split) 4 pin molex connectors (ie the type often supplied with the graphics card)

Comment

I also came across the post. I have tried all the suggestions but no luck >.<
                          PSU is not the problem here as I have tried my friends PSU as well, and its a CoolerMaster 650W

Comment

Have you tried just loading up the bios optimised defaults, saving, rebooting then setting the graphics card "INIT Display first" to PEG in the bios?

Comment

What I MOST often see fix this is a RMA on the card. It is a design flaw in some card's PCB versions.

And as said above, yes sometimes PCIE set to 101-110 will work, sometimes adding PCIE Voltage will help, sometimes using the card in the second slot may also fix it.

Since you have ruled out a PSU issue, I would almost bet once you test the card elsewhere you will see the same result and you will need to RMA the card

Comment

Working...
                              X