About TRFC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: About TRFC?

The best thing to do MaxFx would be to see if you can get to the rated main settings of the memory (without going silly on the voltage), by checking with memtest.

Problem is you mind find windows boots with a certain setting and indeed with Sisoft Sandra or Everest you can see you are getting a good performance gain, except when you check the setup with memtest you find the occasional error.

I find the best way is to do a sort of spreadsheet, so you can see performance vs stability. Once you've found that compromise, you back it off slightly towards the side of stability - thats if you want optimal performance.

I just check out of interest as to what the limits of the board vs memory vs cpu are and then usually run it at default.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Okey VorLonUK nice to hear thanks and I comented about what you said with the trfc setting earlier in this thread, you linked to the OZC forum!

And as Merman said I will just mess around with these two settings under the Advanced Memory Timings the trd and trfc timings as they matters the most!

BTW I get to run the trfc stable at 46 so that feels nice and the trd at 8 with my Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz with memory 1.1 - 425*8 with the same mem as you have so finaly I can get back to some gaming and relax :)
      Last edited by MaxFX; 09-25-2008, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxFX View Post
        Okey VorLonUK nice to hear thanks and I comented about what you said with the trfc setting earlier in this thread, you linked to the OZC forum!

And as Merman said I will just mess around with these two settings under the Advanced Memory Timings the trd and trfc timings as they matters the most!

BTW I get to run the trfc stable at 46 so that feels nice and the trd at 8 with my Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz with memory 1.1 - 425*8 with the same mem as you have so finaly I can get back to some gaming and relax :)
        If it runs OK maxFx that's the main thing :)

If you do find you wish to overclock further (although your overclock is very good as it stands) or you find errors when you test with Memtest, then I would increase your tRFC to 54 as per OCZ's recommendation.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Pretty good settings for such a high overclock. Congrats.

VorLonUK gave you some good advice if you find your system is not rock stable.

If you do find you wish to overclock further (although your overclock is very good as it stands) or you find errors when you test with Memtest, then I would increase your tRFC to 54 as per OCZ's recommendation.
          I found my memory ran best at the SPD settings with the Performance Level set as low as possible.

Comment

Thanks again guys and yepp im really happy about the O/C and have tried it at 3.6Ghz but it's a no go, temps to high and it BSOD no matter what I do so 3.4 shall be enough :)

It's all stable in Occt 2hour blend and several hour in Memtest+ so it seems my settings are okey but if it starting to behave strange I will definetly loose up some on the TRFC timing as you said VorLonUK, thanks!

Comment

Want to post what you have for 3.4, and I can help you get to 3.6

Main thing about trd and trc is that you do want to be trying to find these lower limits with all other settings very high at first. Otherwise they other settings lower in combination with trfc and trd being low can cause failures that may not really be failing otherwise. Did I say that right?

Specs stated by manufactures are ONLY what they have tested the ram to run at stable within stock timing and voltages. And furthermore is not necessarily by any means what the ram has to have to be stable. They often set things high or higher by default so that most sticks will work in most boards in Auto.

Tweaking timings is all up to the user, and has nothing to do with any specs

Comment

I dont think thats anything we can do as its hot as it is but sure you can take a look but I think the top for me is 3.4ghz but will post my settings later.

Yepp think I understand what you mean, so the timings should be set very high more then default with the other settings as trrd/twtr/twr/trtp when tweak trd and trfc and then set the others back to default and then start tweaking them one by one ?

It's starting to feel like a little to much tho so I will let them all be as it seems okey and they probably dont do much if any at all in gaming performance, as Mermen said one can let them be.

"Quote Merman"
                The preferred tweaking sequence is not listed in the sticky but since Performance Level is the most important most think you should start here and maybe end there too. After tRD you can go to tRFC. If tRFC is not in the correct range the sytem will not boot. After that its just a matter of trial and error if any of the other settings improve performance. With that said you don't have to tweak the Adavanced timings other than Performance level (tRD). Tweaking these settings can be very tedious.

"End of Quote!

Will post my settings later as I said so you can take a lokey :)

Take care
                /MaxFX

Comment

Yeap, you got the idea on how to do it.

The do affect performance though, dont let that fool you. You can leave them alone if you want, but you already came this far best to tweak them best you can since you already almost have it there. You will see improvements the better you get them tweaked

Comment

Okey I see it really do matter then and as you said I came this far why stop now when it can be even better :)

I guess when every timing is tweaked the best the faster everything go but I really wonder what I will see, if I can see say some difference in games as thats what only matters for me.

Say for e.x that some area in a game where it's slightly stutter will stutter less then im all for it and surely will tweak until my eyes bleed and my head cant take it anymore

Have a nice wekeend!
                    MaxFX!
                    Last edited by MaxFX; 09-26-2008, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Good luck, too low may cause instabilities just keep that in mind

Better gaming, is really more about getting a better card. Sure good ram timings will help, but not as much as you might notice it really

Comment

Okey I see it really do matter then and as you said I came this far why stop now when it can be even better :)
                        Please do take performance measuments before and after tweaking the Advanced Timings other than tRD and tRFC. Would like to know what you experience.

Comment

Exactly what I think to, nothing can beat better hardware as more mem and a fast card, couse in the end timings dont do much at all in gaming atleast you dont notice it as I think mostly all new ram is so fast that it's definetly not some timings that will hold you back I think!

Okey tweak some settings here and there is more for the fun of it :)

As allready said trd and trfc thats what matters the most.
                          Anyway take a look at what I get in memset if you will if anything seems way of.

All Precharge to Active = 5
                          trfc = 46, set by me
                          trd = 8, set by me
                          Write to Precharge Delayed = 14
                          twtr = 11
                          trrd = 4
                          trd_wr = 8
                          trtp = 6
                          All Precharge to Refresh delay = 5
                          tref = 3316
                          cmd = 2, set by me

Best Regards
                          /MaxFX
                          Last edited by MaxFX; 09-27-2008, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Merman View Post
                            Please do take performance measuments before and after tweaking the Advanced Timings other than tRD and tRFC. Would like to know what you experience.
                            Yepp I can bench some with Everest if you will but surely as you say I wont notice anything, atleast not in games and thats what only matters to me couse some better values in a program dont give me anything at all

Comment

Yepp I can bench some with Everest if you will but surely as you say I wont notice anything, atleast not in games and thats what only matters to me couse some better values in a program dont give me anything at all
                              I understand but that's not the point. When getting help it is nice to give back and let others know your experience so it helps others. So if you do tweak the other advanced timings do let us know what happened and any improvement.

When I tweaked my ram, both tWTR and tWR, were set to the lowest values but the values in Windows were always higher. There wasn't much performance different. I didn't see the point of tweaking any further. But I did go back to see if tRD could be lowered. At stock settings it goes down to 5 improving performance even more, hence starting and ending with tRD.

Comment

Originally posted by Merman View Post
                                I understand but that's not the point. When getting help it is nice to give back and let others know your experience so it helps others. So if you do tweak the other advanced timings do let us know what happened and any improvement.

When I tweaked my ram, both tWTR and tWR, were set to the lowest values but the values in Windows were always higher. There wasn't much performance different. I didn't see the point of tweaking any further. But I did go back to see if tRD could be lowered. At stock settings it goes down to 5 improving performance even more, hence starting and ending with tRD.
                                Yeah of course if I do I will post ASAP if I get some better result or if its not noticable!..sure when one get help one should do the very best to help out yourself!

I just replayed saying that your probably right and its not worth it as one dont can get any magic speedboost in gaming :)

I think I will relax a while now couse all these tweaking has start going on me nerves, you know all work and no play :)

I have read up on the tRD and as you and others said, thats is where it's at!

Best regards
                                MaxFX

Comment

Working...
                                X