Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About TRFC?

Hey there everywon!
    New to the forum but a long time reader of the daily news for years now.

Annyway I just bought the P45-DS3R MB and of course I have been true he.. with it and almost gave up. did some googling and found out that Gigabyte have their support here, funny im here and read the news everyday but dont have looked into the forum for a long time so my mistake and I should be ashamed heh :)

I had the same prob as many and couldent get my OCZ PC-6400 800MHZ 2X2GB Ram to get along with the motherboard, I was close to get some other mem as I belived that the mem was not compatible with the mobo.
    Nice I dident as it sure would have been the same prob!

Thanks to this nice forum I now have it pretty stable but keep wondering one thing or heck more but I can start out with the TRFC.

LSDmesap this one for you as you seem to now it all about the gigaboards :)

You said that when you have 2x2gb ram you must set the TRFC to atleats 52 and as we know the Bios set it at 46 Default.
    Now can you please tell me why I have to do this?

I have tested with 52 and the default value of 46 in both Prime and in Memtest86+ but I get no errors at all so whats the deal behind it. can it do the computer unstable even then it dont show any errors in the stress test programs or is it something else ?

Best Regards
    MaxFx!
    Last edited by MaxFX; 09-12-2008, 11:58 AM.

Re: About TRFC?

you better read the pinned thread : memory timings explained w/ suggested timings & memset Vs. Bios.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/memo...vs-bios-27283/

that will answer your questions.

Comment

Thank you for your answer harry!
      Yepp I have read it and it says it can do data coruption if it's set to low but as I said in my tests I dont seen to have any problem with the 46 setting, I even set it myself so the Bios cant change it which i have read some values can do if it sets to Auto!

Thats what im asking why is it so extremely important to set it at 52 atleast when it seems to work perfectly with the default value?

Thanks again for taking your time asking my probably stupid question but I really would like to know, so I dont harm my Ram or something else it I have it set at 46 :)

BTW in the Mem guide he also says with some bit of tweaking you can get it down to 48-50. so HOW do I know if it's okey or not, the only way I can see it is to stress test it. if it aint show up in STESS testing then it should all be fine candy dandy right ?!?!?

Just for testing I was feeling bold and set up the TRFC to only 36 and then I tested it for a while in Memtest86+ and it was all stable. So pleaze enlighten us mortals LSD and tell us why it's so extremely important as you stated that in every thread I can see and tell us whats the best way to see if it's not okey, if you do know for yourself that is ;)
      Last edited by MaxFX; 09-12-2008, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Well I posted that 52-62 as a starting range, and "Safe Area" for most all users to start with, or use. You can of course use lower safely, as long as it tests out to be stable.

I would suggest 44-50 as a lower tweaked area, but I do not ever post that because there are so many other variables (All other settings) that are affected or need adjusted because of that.

How long did you memtest86+ with trfc 36? That should not work stable at all for 2x2GB.

If you feel it is stable, please feel free to use it. But I would not if I had not tested it with the latest Memtest86+ for a night or so. Or at least ran test #2 and #5 for several hours on it. I would assume it will fail

Comment

Hello Lsfmeasap and a big thanks for the quik reply!

Aha okey I see and I just tested with the 36 setting for a little while, I think it was best to get some answer first so I dont fry my mem.

I now have it set at bios default and I have run 2 test in Mem86+ and it took me over 1hour or so.

Im a bit of a newbie with Memtest so if you will please tell me how to set it up the best way, you said test 2 and 5. I will take a look in memtest and then I just loop the test number 2 and 5 then, is that corect ?

I will post all my bios settings later and maybe you can take a look at it all if you think it looks fine if you got the time :)

I have a C2Q 6600 and it seems stable @ 3400Mhz - 425x8 with my OCZ Reaper PC6400 1:1 setting and that is a nice overclock I think :)

Best Regards
          MaxFx!

Comment

Yeah that is a good overclock for a Q660. So what do you have it set at now?

To run tests by number, you do this >>>
            1. First press C

2. then 1

3. then 3

4. and finally select the test that you want to run

5. press Enter

6. and then 0 to get it running

Ya, post your settings if you like and I can see if you can squeeze anything better out of it

Comment

Hello!
              Yeah i think it will have to do for now as I cant get it stable at all in 3.6Ghz, I have to bump up the vcore to much and run my fans in my Antec P182 at Medium and the fan to the CPU cooler = Zalman 9700LED so it sound like a jet and it will crash in Prime no matter what my settings are!

So it's much better to have it at 3.4Ghz/ 425*8 and my ram OCZ 2*2Gb set at 1:1 ratio
              as I dont have to crank up the vcore to much and my case fan at low and my cpu fan at ca, 2100 RPM. so it's very silent and all good as the temp under full load in Prime95 is under 70c!

I feel very happy and btw my trfc is at bios default and when I look in Memset it's at 48 so i presume I then can set it at that manually if i want as it seems stable!

One question please, I cant find the Static Tread Value (TRD) anyware in bios, can it be that I have the Beta P10 bios you think ?

In Memset it shows 15 under the Performance Level and as I understand that the value of the trd setting right ?

And that cant be good as it will most definetly hold back some performance = crappy performance and that wont cut it for me :)

So what can I do, is it the beta bios you think ?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Ya, at 3.4 the Zalman would do better cooling it then at the voltage needed for 3.6. Some chips just wont do it either, but I would think as you have you need a larger/better cooler for the voltages required to do 3.6

Ya, you can manually set it that way if you like, maybe even lower only testing will let you know for sure. But too low can cause issues, so dont try to far

Well it could be missing in the Beta BIOS, but I kinda would think not. Can you post me a pic, it should be there under command rate.

Yeah, that is Performance level in Memtest (tRD)

Ya 15 is a little high for sure. I would either if you are SURE it is gone go back to a non beta BIOS. I know this is not needed, and is not the cause, but can you test the Control + F1 hotkey on the MAIN Page of the BIOS and then go into MIT and see if you see it? It could maybe be hidden, but should not be

Comment

I have thougt about another better cooler but it can be as you said it wont go any higher with my Q6600 G0 anyway so I think I will leave it at 3.4 as its fast enough, I don't know how many frames more I will get in games but it cant be many as 200Mhz aint the whole world I think!

So it will do for me and I will get a shiny new GTX280 and keep my 8800GT 512Mb for PhysX :D

Yepp I have tried the Control + F1 but it wont help.
                  Very strange that the (trd) setting dont show up in bios the only on that shows is!

trrd = 3 default
                  twtr = 3 default
                  twr = 6 default
                  trfc = 46 default but shows 48 in Memset as I said so I will set it at 48 and test :)
                  trtp = 3 default
                  cmd = 2 manually

So thats my setting so it looks like I have to change to a non beta bios, strange!

BTW, Do you recomend that I set up Cpu PLL and Cpu termination in some other values then default as it seems it can harm the CPU, atleast if one got a 45nm but mine is as you can see a Q6600G0 = 65nm!
                  So do you think it's okey for me to have it at default and if you think I may change some other settings e.x the clock skew or what they all is called please let me know?
                  So many settings my head spin hehe!

Thanks for the help mate you are doing a fantastic job here and Giga should definetly give you a fat pay check :)

Best Regards
                  /MaxFX
                  Last edited by MaxFX; 09-15-2008, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Ahh maybe you just need to flash the Same BIOS again, or a different one. It should be there

And yeah, 3.4 or 3.6 not too much difference.

Ya, you can set the default for PLL if you like of 1.5, but it may need more due to your overclock. Same for VTT, I would try to keep that at 1.4-1.6

Clock skew you can leave in the ram area. As for MCH and CPU skews, you can adjust them to see if it helps. Often times it will witha overclocked Quad. Try CPU Skew 50ps-150ps, and MCH Skew 50ps-250ps

Comment

Hello!
                      Cant seem to get me clock stable, it will BSOD in Intelburntest grr.

I wonder what it can be as I have tested the Ram in Memtest86+ with your suggested settings, test 2 in 10 min and test 5 over one hour with no error!
                      Test 2 and 5 passed over 30 passes each!

And its stable in OCCT default 2 hour test but in Intelburntest its a no go.
                      So it may be as ppl say that that program stress your comp the absolut most. im getting like 77degre in it but in Prime95 I only get 67degre as most with Hardwaremonitor!

And it doesent matter if the MCH voltage is set at 1.2 - 1.3 or 1.4 so thats probably not the problem then and my timings seems okey so what can it be.

I havent played with the MCH and CPU skews as you mentioned yet but they shouldent be the problem you think ?
                      And what are the exactly do, will I get some more performance of my ram if they are set lower then default ?

Best Regards
                      MaxFX
                      Last edited by MaxFX; 09-17-2008, 12:06 PM.

Comment

77 degrees? What is showing you this temp, and what version is it. And is that core temp or CPU temp?

That may be why Intelburn test fails, it is too hot.

I cannot advise you about the rest of your questions as I do not know what you are now using for settings and would like to use instead.

Yes, lower then default will be better, if you ram will do it and be stable. And that applies only to certain things, some lower will be worse

Comment

From the horses mouth (OCZ)

The importance of tRFC and 4/8GB of memory - OCZ Forum

I have 2 x 2GB OCZ Nvidia SLI edition PC6400 and was trying a small/medium overclock on my GA-P35C-DS3R recently. This setting on Auto in the bios (TRFC) was reading 46 which should have been set higher by the board if the SPD has been updated as per the OCZ link above.

Anyway after reading LsdMe's guide, I raised the TRFC to 56. As per the above OCZ link, DDR voltage can often be reduced too (as i found). I don't know yet if raising the value has impacted that much on performance but it has given rock solid stability in overclocks - ie checking with Memtest V2.01.
                          GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Ya, I do not often speak out of turn. Some will do fine with less then 52, but it all depends on the brand of sticks, the IC chips used in them, and the overall choice of all other settings, speeds, and voltages in use.

Any 2x2GB 52-62 is a good starting range, starting with 62 and working down. Some get to 48 and still remain stable, others can do 50. In the end, some brands, IC Chips wont be stable under 52-54. So that is why you always see my give ranges

Gigabyte boards are not OEM boards, and for sure need to have as many things manually set and tweaked in the BIOS. Unlike a OEM board which things will be set/locked high or locked in a high AUTO setting with POOR performance, but stability that a OEM should provide

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                              77 degrees? What is showing you this temp, and what version is it. And is that core temp or CPU temp?

That may be why Intelburn test fails, it is too hot.

I cannot advise you about the rest of your questions as I do not know what you are now using for settings and would like to use instead.

Yes, lower then default will be better, if you ram will do it and be stable. And that applies only to certain things, some lower will be worse

Comment

Working...
                              X