• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

I may be able to, I will go check it out now

Comment

Replied to his post, so if you are talking via PM with him please let him know. If not let me know and I will PM him

Comment

I was having trouble with my motherboard so I updated the bios. This caused more problems so I changed the bios back, loaded fail-safe default bios and now it won't post. I get a long beep followed by three short beeps. The manual says this has something with the keyboard, but I tried both a usb and a ps2 keyboard with no change. I reset the CMOS and that didn't help. I used @bios, which I know now may have been a mistake from reading your great post here. My motherboard (GA-MA770-DS3) is supposed to have "virtual dual bios", but I can't find any directions on how to use this feature. I don't have a floppy drive on this computer and couldn't get to it if I had. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Comment

Don't ever use fail safe, there is no reason to ever need this.

Please clear your CMOS using the long method as mentioned on page one, post #2. Then load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot. If you cannot clear your CMOS using that method, then you may have to either short your board or send it in for RMA and add your board to the list of ones killed by @BIOS. You can also try shutting your power supply on/off really quick many times, while trying to turn the board on. Sometimes that will get it going so you can recover. You may also try removing all your memory but one stick and then start it, or put in a different stick then try again.

Dual BIOS is not something you can access, it is done automatically by the board if something fails, unless you use @BIOS and things go wrong such as this.

Comment

So I've flashed bios many times in the past.. however I flashed last night sucessfully.. there was some checksum 0f00 thing that popped up when it asked me if i "really" wanted to flash. It seems to work fine now.. says F5 and i had to manually re-enter all my bios settings.

set up raid and off I went.

Here at work (laughs@work) I was reading your post about flashing for some reason and I saw the part that you should "load optimized defaults" following the flash.

I didn't do that.

Essential? If everything is working right now should I do it when I get home?

Comment

That is normal, explained on page one. Sorry the images are down for this guide, they will be back up on the 10th.

Yes, optimized defaults is essential. Please do this when you get home, then save/apply/reboot F10 BACK to the BIOS. You must go immediately back to the BIOS before windows, so you can set your RAID settings again otherwise you will corrupt your array.

Comment

Thank you for a timely response. You're a great asset to this bulletin board and the gigabyte community.

I will go home and follow your recommendation.. it can't hurt.

I did experience a freeze up this morning when i booted into windows.. it just hung forever.. the mouse unfroze for a min then back to life then solid freeze.. i rebooted and everything was fine.. hopefully this will solve that. (i'm banking that I forgot a sata ahci setting or something.)

Comment

Thanks for your support! I try my best to help as much as possible, when I can.

It is suggested for sure, Gigabyte even reminds you in red test on the BIOS download pages.

Be sure you do what I said above in regards to your RAID array, there is an image on page one that should still be visible for steps to safely flash with RAID.

Freezes could be anything, drivers, programs, or BIOS settings which I can help you with later if you need it.

Comment

I format my usb flash thumbdrive as fat, then load the bin file onto it. but after reboot cannot recognize the drive? any clues?

The only way last time was to update in bios qflash is with an external flsah drive that i formatted to fat but since then it is formatted back to ntfs and is nearly full.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by minsik View Post
                      I format my usb flash thumbdrive as fat, then load the bin file onto it. but after reboot cannot recognize the drive? any clues?
                      Is USB Storage Function in Integrated Peripherals enabled?

Comment

Some USB wont work, how large is the one you are trying to use? Did you try to format it again to FAT32? If not try that, or try a smaller one.

If you don't have any luck, you could make a small 512MB partition FAT32 on your external that you used before, since you know it works.

If you need help doing that let us know

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                          Some USB wont work, how large is the one you are trying to use? Did you try to format it again to FAT32? If not try that, or try a smaller one.

If you don't have any luck, you could make a small 512MB partition FAT32 on your external that you used before, since you know it works.

If you need help doing that let us know

Very much appreciated the help you give. thanks from me personally.
                          I did try using a verbatim traveledge stick that has booted freenas and other o/s quite ok on many machines. also another usb stick thats used likewise but no joy in this ga-p55-ud3 MB at all. So yes i did a format of another sata spare drive lying around and did it that way. Just a little frustrating that modern features like MB recognising the usb stick for files is a dud (for me anyway)
                          again thank you for the hard working team and the cooperative people like yourself will ng to help. pehaps with versin 7a i will retry the reading and see if it works on that version.

Comment

Glad to hear you got it flashed!

So are you sure you have all settings correct? USB Storage enabled, USB 1/2 enabled and you leave the USB drive installed when you reboot to Qflash?

I have a few that are ok to boot from, but wont work with Qflash. Some just wont, smaller ones tend to work much easier like 256MB or 512MB, larger ones such as 2GB + seem to be hit or miss.

Comment

Hi, great work in this thread.
                              I think I'm in big trouble now.
                              I have a Board GA-EP35-DS3L, Intel E8400, 8GB DDR, Rosewill 600W. Yesterday night I returned to my house, I found the computer without internet connection (Windows 7 Ultimate). When I gave him repair the nets, in the middle of the process a error window appeared blue and computer turns off.
                              It Just turn on automatic and it started with a Rescue of the bios mess (black background).
                              Then simply turn off .
                              Since that moment the computer do not post, just try for start 10 seconds and shuts off, wait 10 seconds and try again and so it goes. He does it every time until you turn off the Power.
                              Could be Qflash resolve it ? it dont post now
                              I replace the battery

thanks x help

Comment

You need to get in BIOS 1st in order to flash.
                                Try clearing the CMOS with a jumper on CLR_CMOS and the battery out for 30 minutes, after you unpluged the power of course.
                                If this does not solve the problem try an overnight clear.

Comment

Working...
                                X