This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Yes, that would be fine to use, why were you unsure?

Comment

Because, I read the help, and /D set CMOS default and /E clear CMOS
      isn't that same function?
      X58A-UD7 Rev1 | Core i7 920 @ 191x21 4GHz | Thermalright Extreme 120 REV A | Corsair 6GB Dominator GT 1600 C7 | Sapphire HD4870 Toxic 1GB 800/1000 | Antec TPQ-850w

Comment

No, not the same function.

Comment

I'm about to flash BIOS for my ex58-ud5 motherboard. I have followed this guide and everything works fins until I enter Qflash or DOS when flashing with a bootable USB. Then the keyboard stops responding for some reason. It's a HP keyboard I borrowed from school temporarely because I have wireless mouse and keyboard and as far as I can remember, you must have a wired keyboard when flashing BIOS.
          I've done a flash last year to upgrade to version F3 because it was incompatible with intel's i7 processors. Then I did it with a bootable USB following this guide here and it went fine. But now I want to flash BIOS again with F9k version because I'm experiencing a lot of recurrent freeze with windows 7. Maybe an upgrade with help with that.

Does anyone know why the keyboard becomes unresponsive when entering DOS or Qflash. It works fine otherwise, I can access BIOS and all the settings and even Qflash, but I just can't click on "Update BIOS from drive" or even go back once in Qflash or DOS state. Is there any solution for this? Is there any other way of upgrading BIOS except bootable USB or Qflash? Unfotunately I don't have a floppy so I can't try out that.

//Thanks

Comment

flashing with a bootable USB

The QFlash update works for me but the USB stick/pen does not need to be bootable

Ask QFlash for a flash from a USB stick/pen that just has the replacement BIOS on it

Peter
            Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping 2.66Ghz @ 4.00GHz
            Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard
            OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz
            BFG GeForce 285 GTX 195.62 WHQL drivers
            Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
            Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
            Corsair HX 1000W
            MSFFB2 native drivers
            TIR5 Final B drivers

Comment

Right ^^

To flash from USB you do not need a bootable one, but using one should not give you any issues. All you need is the actual BIOS file (filename.Fxx), leave your USB plugged in and reboot to qflash via End Key at startup or F8 on the MAIN BIOS page.

Since you have a bootable you can use DOS, you will need a PS/2 keyboard most of the time though. Is the one you are using now that is giving you issues USB? If so you are going to either need to use a USB to PS/2 adapter, or you may need to dig up another PS/2 keyboard to use if yours fails to work.

If you do not have any other keyboards, you can simply boot to USB with a autoexec.bat file and flash that way. You can also make a FAT32 partition on the end of your hard drive and flash from Qflash from their if your USB does not show up in Qflash at all.

Some wireless keyboards may work, so do try yours out with a USB to PS/2 adapter if you have one.

You can update with @BIOS, but I only suggest that as a dead last resort

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I finally managed to flash bios with Qflash. After a couple of hours it just worked with the ps/2 keyboard. Didn't do anything special but trying out to get i work i Qflash. It was weird that it worked after 3 hours or so, but at least I managed to flash it.

Comment

I flashed my P35-DS3R rev1 with the newest bios F13 using Q-flash and a usbdrive. The flash went fine and i exited Q-flash and rebooted.. but the screen stayed blank and it hasnt POST'ed since. No errorbeeps, tried switching around DIMMs, clearing cmos for 20+ mins. I've tried the recovery method using floppy but theres not enough memory on the FDD. only 500kb left after i make it bootable so i cant fit the biosfile and flashtool on it.

What did i do wrong?

Comment

Will clearing the CMOS destroy a RAID array?

Also, once and for all, where is the RAID array settings stored in a motherboard? Settings such as stripe and array size.

Comment

So I flashed my p55-ud2 to the new f7 bios from a USB using Q-flash, said the update went fine and now I'm stuck in a cycle where it just keeps rebooting after showing the 2oz copper screen

Tried clearing CMOS (remove psu cable, take out battery, use metal object to bridge the two pins, wait and then plug et in again?) but didn't help

Can't enter into the bios, and I tried putting the cd in the drive connected to SATA2_0 but nothing happens

Why isnt the backup bios kicking in and is there really nothing I can do here before I have to RMA this sucker? Thanks for the info-I appreciate any help I can get

Comment

I only would like to add, if you intend to Back-up your old BIOS, it took 11 minutes using Q-Flash to do that. Don't get anxious or worried that the BIOS or computer froze. It just takes forever - 11 minutes is a long time to wait.

After you back-up, you can immediately flash the new BIOS - no need to reboot - takes about 2 minutes to flash. No other files needed but the Fxx flash file on a Floppy or FlashDisk. (I used a FlashDisk automatically seen in Q-Flash.)

I also understand if one uses the window method, it could fail 1 out of 10 times, so its best to stick with Q-Flash. Simple, clean and nothing to it.

Comment

Originally posted by stingray072 View Post
                          Can't enter into the bios, and I tried putting the cd in the drive connected to SATA2_0 but nothing happens ....................
                          Most likely a memory error. I would remove all sticks but one. Two basic culprits of not getting into the CMOS. Memory or video.

If its video - you can test by removing the video card. Have a floppy of W95 or ME boot disk that you understand in the dark screen. Try to boot into a DOS prompt. When you know the tick it takes to actually reach the prompt, then it will be your video card. But most likely it will be a memory setting.

Comment

Hi new to this forum stuff. But have a problem with this checksum loaded defaults error. My computer is a old gak8nsn-939 amd64 3700 with corsair 3200xlpro memory. It crash while i was using it and on reloading it came up with this checksum error.If I press f1 it will run windows all day but with the bios set to old defaults (date on 2006). Enter bios to reset the settings and save,reload and it just locks up black screen lights go out on memory not even the post. clear cmos and it starts all over again . I have flash it with flash895 with k8nn939.14b which is the latest even though it was already on 13. I have changed and checked battery 3.1v and its sitting ok in the socket .Have flashed in dos god knows how many times using different way and setting.even disconnected everything and changed to different memory. been looking and googling for days now. Have tried everything to no avail taken me 6 days now and am looking for new board so i can keep this system running.Any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance

Comment

Do any of the above users still need help with your issues? If so please let us know, sorry no one has posted any replies for you so I thought I would check to be sure since though since the posts are a bit old.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                                Do any of the above users still need help with your issues? If so please let us know, sorry no one has posted any replies for you so I thought I would check to be sure since though since the posts are a bit old.
                                Spetsnaz201 had a problem flashing his BIOS. It turns out his boared came with the wrong BIOS, I though maybe you could gelp him.

Comment

Working...
                                X