X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Originally posted by StrongMind View Post
    Unfortunately, nothing works ... It seems that I'm throughing this board away and getting a new one ...

Any suggestion? I'm thinking about GA-G41M-ES2L; does it fit with my old processor (Pentium 4 - single core - socket 775)? is it a good board in general?
    Sorry to hear!

How much $$ are you wanting to spend on a board? You do know the board you mentioned is a small one right? It is Micro ATX, just letting you know in case you didn't notice. You would need to be sure it will fit in your case since it is not normal ATX Size, some cases wont hold Micro ATX A lot of cases do accept both, just saying you should check before buying.

What Pentium 4 do you have? Model or name #? Just checking, it does support a lot of P4's, I just wanted to be sure before telling you yes.

Here is the list if you wanted to check yourself
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - CPU Support List - GA-G41M-ES2L (rev. 1.0)

Originally posted by EvanOfCaerleon View Post
    Thank you Lsdmeasap this thread is very helpful, much appreciated

I'm running an EX58-UD5 and looking to update BIOS to F7

I got the mobo in a bundle from overclockers.co.uk last May, the board runs fine but lately I did need to reset the BIOS (button at the back) on getting crashes with hyper-threading enabled

I can see from your advice that I didn't reset BIOS to default settings after the BIOS reset and so I see a (checksum) warning message as the machine boots up - but there are no other problems and a clean Win7 install at the weekend is running fine

I've got a 4GB FAT32 USB drive ready with the F7 BIOS and will do the Q-Flash (yes not the @ one, I spotted your warnings in time) :) in a day or two but a question please?

The motherboard came with the CPU already overclocked to 4GHz and that worked with no problems at all. My resetting the BIOS a couple of weeks ago would have lost the overclock I think and I'm contacting overclockers for details of the overclock

But I'm wondering- maybe the original overclocked settings are backed up on the BIOS chip and I can switch those settings in while booting up, I have the bootup '2oz copper' image coming up with a few keys advised at the bottom of the screen, Delete for BIOS setup and so on. Do you know if it's possible to switch back in the original overclocked BIOS settings? One mobo I had used to do that but I'm not sure if it's this one and softly softly treading carefully :)

Thanks again for your QFlash guide and your welcome advice!

Peter

Machine spec-
    Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz @ 4.00GHz
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard
    OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz DDR3
    I highly suggest you update to a newer BIOS than F7, it is very old.

I can help you get overclocked again, they wont be able to really help much since they gave you settings for a old BIOS. Even if they have those written down, they would not work on a new BIOS. Maybe close, but not the exact same ones.

I suggest the Very latest Beta, posted in our BIOS Sticky thread.

While you are still using the old BIOS you can check about what you mentioned, they might have saved them as the BIOS will hold 8 profiles. Go into the BIOS by pressing "Del" key at startup, then on the MAIN Page of the BIOS press F12 and see if you see any named Profiles saved. If you sell 8 blank places then they did not save the settings to a profile.

Don't worry though, I can help you get stable once you update the BIOS, I can help with all the settings!

Comment

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

While you are still using the old BIOS you can check about what you mentioned, they might have saved them as the BIOS will hold 8 profiles. Go into the BIOS by pressing "Del" key at startup, then on the MAIN Page of the BIOS press F12 and see if you see any named Profiles saved. If you sell 8 blank places then they did not save the settings to a profile.
      Thanks Lsdmeasap, named profiles got it

I highly suggest you update to a newer BIOS than F7, it is very old.
      Thanks, hmm I see the F9i in the latest BIOS thread - but at the Gigabyte site the latest downloadable BIOS (not beta) is F7, I was there earlier

Sorry to trouble you but is the F9i indeed the latest BIOS for the EX58-UD5? I'm being cautious as I wonder why the F9i is not at the Gigabyte site, I hope you can understand my caution and thanks again

I can help you get stable once you update the BIOS
      <SHOVES beer cold virtual over>Shoves over a virtual cold beer :)

Peter
      Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping 2.66Ghz @ 4.00GHz
      OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz
      BFG GeForce 285 GTX 195.62 WHQL drivers
      Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
      Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
      Corsair HX 1000W
      MSFFB2 native drivers
      TIR5 Final B drivers

Comment

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A &quot;How To ~ Qflash Guide&quot;

So there was a saved profile, or you just meant you got what I mean?

I suggest the latest beta for sure! Gigabyte just does not post beta's to the public pages for several reasons, you must download them here or elsewhere (Here suggested )

Mmmmmmmm, thanks for the beer

Comment

I understood what you meant is what I meant thanks Lsdmeasap and the check is in the post. Or the tab of Purple Haze :)

No stored profile from overclockers was in there on F12-ing, but it'll surely be me. I'll update the BIOS in a day or two, very interesting to see stored profiles in there, really good motherboard

Gigabyte just does not post beta's to the public pages

Ah I see, thanks once again then and no worries as this forum is very good and very helpful

Peter
          Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
          Corsair HX 1000W
          MSFFB2 native drivers
          TIR5 Final B drivers

Comment

Thanks, I will watch my mail!

Sorry to hear they did not save a profile for you, if they will give you the settings they used then you may have a good starting point, but I doubt they keep information like that.

Don't worry though, I can help you get going at any speed, just let me know once you are ready

Comment

Lucky I was busy last night, new F9j out today pinch punch first of the month <RUNS away>:)

Thanks again. The overclockers profile I'm sure was in there, I did something bad when I hit the reset BIOS button I should think, I didn't reset BIOS to optimised defaults after rebooting I know that now. Was just happy that it booted up without a fuss. No harm done though and I'll flash the new BIOS when I get home (USB stick) - I've printed out the settings from 'The quest for maximum clock' thread and my CPU was running happily at 4GHz from May to November. One extra point for crowbarring in a song title. Almost :)

Peter
              Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
              Corsair HX 1000W
              MSFFB2 native drivers
              TIR5 Final B drivers

Comment

Aight, well let us know how you get along!

Keep in mind I can help for sure, so if things don't work out at first don't be too worried about it

Comment

I found a new way to flash bios using bootable dvd rom, very easy way if someone want to flash the bios from cdrom/dvdrom.
                  I will post it if needed.
                  X58A-UD7 Rev1 | Core i7 920 @ 191x21 4GHz | Thermalright Extreme 120 REV A | Corsair 6GB Dominator GT 1600 C7 | Sapphire HD4870 Toxic 1GB 800/1000 | Antec TPQ-850w

Comment

I've found that the easiest way to flash the BIOS is to copy the updated version to a USB stick, it doesn't have to be bootable (a 2GB Corsair stick, superceded by 4GB and then 16GB from play.com, dead cheap)

This was because the way you mention aquax, which I'd prefer to be able to use, isn't working on this motherboard - for me and perhaps me only and only right now - I can't get the board to boot from a DVD. I've got the DVD as first device to boot from and I wait to see the usual 'Hit key to boot from CD' message (as on Abit, Asus, generally) but I don't see the message for some reason at the moment and a hard drive boots up. I've seen it in the past on this mobo and earlier boards. Someone will know I hope :)

Peter
                    Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
                    Corsair HX 1000W
                    MSFFB2 native drivers
                    TIR5 Final B drivers

Comment

I've found that the easiest way to flash the BIOS is to copy the updated version to a USB stick, it doesn't have to be bootable (a 2GB Corsair stick, superceded by 4GB and then 16GB from play.com, dead cheap)

This was because the way you mention aquax, which I'd prefer to be able to use, isn't working on this motherboard - for me and perhaps me only and only right now - I can't get the board to boot from a DVD. I've got the DVD as first device to boot from and I wait to see the usual 'Hit key to boot from CD' message (as on Abit, Asus, generally) but I don't see the message for some reason at the moment and a hard drive boots up. I've seen it in the past on this mobo and earlier boards. Someone will know I hope :)

Peter
                      yes I wasn't able to boot too, but I found a new tool which I can boot to dos and even browse my NTFS HDD and I can flash from HDD too.

tested on:
                      EX58-UD4P
                      EX58-UD3R
                      EP45-UD3R
                      X58A-UD7 Rev1 | Core i7 920 @ 191x21 4GHz | Thermalright Extreme 120 REV A | Corsair 6GB Dominator GT 1600 C7 | Sapphire HD4870 Toxic 1GB 800/1000 | Antec TPQ-850w

Comment

Peter
                        Use F12 and choose your CD device by name to boot from CD then. This could be caused by your BIOS setting to AHCI as well, change that to IDE and try again the normal way if you want

Comment

Here is the instruction if someone want to flash bios from NFS partition HDD or from CD/DVD

1- First download this utility "boot_iso"
                          Hotfile.com: One click file hosting
                          2- Second burn the iso with any burner tool, I used UltraISO, put the bios file and the bios flashing utility "flashspi" at the same time you burn the iso file
                          3- Now the CD/DVD rom is ready to boot, load optimized default, save and exit, press F12 and select CDROM, it will load the files, select enable support for CDROM, and it will be ready, now you can browse your NTFS partitions and even flash from them. I used DVD, it was drive G:, so I typed G:/ then "DIR" to make sure it is the correct partition I want, and use this command "FLASHSPI BIOSNAME.Fx /C /D /E" then bios flash will start.

Comment

I found a new tool which I can boot to dos and even browse my NTFS HDD and I can flash from HDD too

Sounds good thanks for any more info aquax

There's a boot-from-USB-stick which sounds worth a look at too

Peter
                            Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
                            Corsair HX 1000W
                            MSFFB2 native drivers
                            TIR5 Final B drivers

Comment

USB Boot stick is great, you can boot from it to flash or just simply flash from Qflash

Comment

Hey Lsd,
                                is that FlashSPI command correct "FLASHSPI BIOSNAME.Fx /C /D /E"?

Comment

Working...
                                X