X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Originally posted by 123456iambelial View Post
    I updated my BIOS from F7 to F8e.

I had this BIOS error last night when I turned my PC on. It was warning something, I can't really remember.
    What it did was it went back to F7 BIOS.
    Does it mean I am using the backup BIOS chip and the primary chip is dead already.
    I just flashed it once like 3 days ago.
    Did you Load Optimized defaults after you flashed?

Comment

Originally posted by 123456iambelial View Post
      I updated my BIOS from F7 to F8e.

I had this BIOS error last night when I turned my PC on. It was warning something, I can't really remember.
      What it did was it went back to F7 BIOS.
      Does it mean I am using the backup BIOS chip and the primary chip is dead already.
      I just flashed it once like 3 days ago.

No, that simply means your overclock failed badly, or something else caused a bad failure and corrupted the MAIN BIOS. When that happens the backup BIOS kicks in and copies the BIOS it has onto the MAIN BIOS Chip is all, so you are using F7 then.

If you want to go back to F8e you will need to reflash it, please read the first page of this thread if there is anything you are still unsure about. Or just ask us.

Comment

guys, what is the correct way to use flashspi, I noticed it doesn't clear dmi data, is there specific command I should write or just the normal "flashspi.exe bios.fx" is enough?
        X58A-UD7 Rev1 | Core i7 920 @ 191x21 4GHz | Thermalright Extreme 120 REV A | Corsair 6GB Dominator GT 1600 C7 | Sapphire HD4870 Toxic 1GB 800/1000 | Antec TPQ-850w

Comment

You can use the /? switch to see all the allowed modifiers for the program, I cannot recall if /CP (Clear PnP (ESCD)) and /CD (Clear DMI) work with flashSPI or not.

If you are super concerned with this you can use Qflash, it allows you to set "Keep DMI Data" to disabled.

You may also use Awdflash if you like, then you could use any of the modifiers

And also, yes just the normal flash command you noted would be fine, clear your CMOS manually after the flash and it will be all cleared then.

Comment

thx LSD, I used Q-flash
            X58A-UD7 Rev1 | Core i7 920 @ 191x21 4GHz | Thermalright Extreme 120 REV A | Corsair 6GB Dominator GT 1600 C7 | Sapphire HD4870 Toxic 1GB 800/1000 | Antec TPQ-850w

Comment

So everything ok now then? Hope so, if not let us know.

So hey, you using the UD4P final F9 right? How is it? I'll likely wait and use F10 beta's because I rarely run the Finals myself

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                No, that simply means your overclock failed badly, or something else caused a bad failure and corrupted the MAIN BIOS. When that happens the backup BIOS kicks in and copies the BIOS it has onto the MAIN BIOS Chip is all, so you are using F7 then.

If you want to go back to F8e you will need to reflash it, please read the first page of this thread if there is anything you are still unsure about. Or just ask us.
                I did Load Optimized defaults after I updated the BIOS. I did not OC, I just enabled the USB keyboard and mouse and disabled the Logo.
                When I turned my PC on, it just happened.
                Does it mean my primary BIOS is dead?

Comment

No, that still does not mean your BIOS is dead. Sounds like you are not setting your BIOS Right. Auto/Defaults are not always right and really not suggested by me.

Please make a thread with your Full specs and I can help. Likely you are just not setting up your memory right if you are not overclocking. Simple fix likely,

Comment

Strange,Biosman states not to include the autoexec.bat file with the new bios file.Even while using Qflash.Yet Gigabyte includes it with the file!Whats up with that???

Comment

It is not required for Qflash, only for DOS based flashes and that is why Gigabyte includes it.

If you are using Qflash, all you need is the actual BIOS file (filename.Fxx)

Comment

Hello,
                        Thanks Lsdmeasap for the turorial, I was able to use this tutorial to update my Radeon HD 4890 bios to fix the screen blinks randomly in vista.
                        Thanks again,
                        HM

Comment

Glad you found it helpful!

How did this help you update your Radeon BIOS, this is for motherboard BIOS updates? Or did you mean a motherboard BIOS update fixed your Graphic card issues? If so great to hear it, and glad you found this post useful.

Post back anytime if you have any questions

Comment

Hi, i did the flashing with my usb stick but i ran into a little problem.

The update seemed successful at first when i notice some small changes in my bios, but when i tried to boot it would get to the desktop and a few seconds later my computer would reset. I had already given the ram the amount of voltage it needed but still nothing, so i bumped up the vcore to about 1.42 and it finally worked. Should i be worried that it wouldnt boot on default settings?

This is my motherboard GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-MA770-UD3 (rev. 2.0)

I used the FD bios.

I appreciate your effort in this guide, i tried reading other ones but they were really confusing.

Comment

Did you load and apply optimized defaults after you flashed, then save and apply and reboot, then make your changes? If not that may be why, you must do that.

As for your voltages, sorry I am not sure at all about AMD CPU voltages.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                                Did you load and apply optimized defaults after you flashed, then save and apply and reboot, then make your changes? If not that may be why, you must do that.

As for your voltages, sorry I am not sure at all about AMD CPU voltages.

Yes, and i also optimized before i flashed just to be on the safe side. Could it be that this new bios version just simply require more power to the cpu? i didnt try to bump the voltage a bit i just went straight for the 1.42 mark cause thats what i OC at.

Comment

Working...
                                X