This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

The question is, why would I do anything to this GPU when the last 6 or 7 BIOS' have worked fine? It's just this beta f8c that's screwy. I have yet to see anyone with a 3870x2 and 955 with this mobo functioning at full speed. 4870x2 yes. 3870x2 no.

I appreciate you trying to help LSDme but frankly if GB doesn't come up with a working BIOS soon, this mobo gets put in a HTPC and the main rig gets an Asus M4A78T-E as I jump to AM3 DDR3 and all ASUS hardware.

Thanks again!!
    Spider: Phenom II 955BE, Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5, Asus 3870x2, ASUS Xonar D2X pcie, 4 x 1gig OCZ2N1066SR2GK @800, OCZ StealthXstream 600w, Antec 900 case. Vista x64 HP SP1
    #2 Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 1950pro, Asus A8V-D, Enermax 465P
    #3 2500 Barton, x800xl, ASUS A7N8X-E, Antec 400

Comment

Hi there,

I bought a GA-MA790XT-UD4P together with a Amd Phenom II X4 955.
      I read that it is necessary to update the BIOS for full support.
      However, it is my first time doing this so I have some questions:
      I copied the new bios file on a USB-Stick to flash it with QFlash. Is that correct?
      Now I dont know what to do afterwards. In your guide you say:
      *NOTE*
      Once you have flashed and rebooted back into the BIOS choose Load Optimized defaults and save and apply. This is a required step for the flash process to complete, and for the new BIOS to be properly loaded into the chip.

Then reboot Back into the BIOS again before you go into windows. You will need to set your hard drive settings again in the Advanced BIOS page. MOST IMPORTANTLY do not try to load Windows if you are using a RAID setup without setting these disk settings again or you will corrupt your RAID Array.

Please do not skip the above steps and try to load windows, this is for anyone who is reading this who is using RAID, which alot of us do.

These are the steps needed using the Intel Controller to assure your Array will not be lost post flash

Comment

Originally posted by Hardwood View Post
        The question is, why would I do anything to this GPU when the last 6 or 7 BIOS' have worked fine? It's just this beta f8c that's screwy. I have yet to see anyone with a 3870x2 and 955 with this mobo functioning at full speed. 4870x2 yes. 3870x2 no.

I appreciate you trying to help LSDme but frankly if GB doesn't come up with a working BIOS soon, this mobo gets put in a HTPC and the main rig gets an Asus M4A78T-E as I jump to AM3 DDR3 and all ASUS hardware.

Thanks again!!
        Ya you are right, but since they pulled 955 support for now that may be part of the reason why?

I hope they get you a working BIOS soon as well, hate to see you switch teams!

Sorry I cannot do more myself or I would

Yes, all you need to do is copy the extracted BIOS file onto your USB Stick then flash from Qflash.

Since you are not using RAID you do not have to worry so much about my tips on loading optimized as it will not be so important to you to have your disk settings correct. And since you do not have windows even installed yet you are good to go with the flash.

Just flash, load and apply optimized and then save/apply F10, reboot to the BIOS and setup your intended settings.

Comment

Well I bit the bullet, backed up everything and tried the F8C again. This time I used f8a's flashspi and booted from a floppy with the 9600 still installed. The flash seemed to work so I put in the 955 and it's all performing as expected.
          Spider: Phenom II 955BE, Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5, Asus 3870x2, ASUS Xonar D2X pcie, 4 x 1gig OCZ2N1066SR2GK @800, OCZ StealthXstream 600w, Antec 900 case. Vista x64 HP SP1
          #2 Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 1950pro, Asus A8V-D, Enermax 465P
          #3 2500 Barton, x800xl, ASUS A7N8X-E, Antec 400

Comment

Nice to see all is now well with your 955 and your GFX Card!

Comment

Question about updating bios on EX58-UD4P

I found there is "clear CMOS default" as new setting, doesn't appear on the original post.

that's what I did:
              Keep DMI Data = Disable
              Clear CMOS default = Disable
              then I flashed successfully, reseted PC then entered Bios and chose "Load Optimized Default" is what I did correct?
              X58A-UD7 Rev1 | Core i7 920 @ 191x21 4GHz | Thermalright Extreme 120 REV A | Corsair 6GB Dominator GT 1600 C7 | Sapphire HD4870 Toxic 1GB 800/1000 | Antec TPQ-850w

Comment

Yes that is fine. I always disable Keep DMI, but either way on either setting would be fine. Just as long as you load optimized after you flash you will be fine.

Remember to check your disk settings before loading windows

Comment

You are a god, I was nearly going to buy a new board after reading many threads on different sites. After much head banging i found your article...fantastic, clear concise instructions. Within an hour all was good...it will be a while before I update my bios and certainly would not use @BIOS again.

Comment

Nice to hear this helped you out!!

So what happened? You used @BIOS and thought you bricked your board? Which method helped you get it recovered?

Glad all is well!! Post back anytime if you have any issues or questions

Comment

hi, i have a MA770-UD3 and my question is what does mean "load CMOS default" in Q-Flash?
                      thanks

Comment

@Lsdmeasap

I need your help! Updating my BIOS using Q-flash was successful (or not!?), however, after doing the suggested update (p31ds3l.f9) and rebooting, the same process of "Qflash utility preparing to load..." just keeps on looping.

To add up, this odd ticking sound (I think this is the CMOS battery - this is how it goes - titititititick....) just before the Qflash utility page.

Is this an error with the CMOS batt?
                        My mobo?

I tried clearing CMOS, removing CMOS batt but could not find any solution regarding the error I have encountered. Really hope you can help me.

MOBO:
                        GA-P31-DS3L (rev. 1.x)

Thanks!

Comment

When I want to update the BIOS with the new F7 from the Gigabyte website, i get a message: " CHECKSUM = D500 / Are you sure to update BIOS?". I use an USB stick for the update. What shoud I do? Update, or not?

And another question is that i need to change "Keep DMI Data" from Enable to Disable? This is what i read on the first post, but there is something about RAID, i think.
                          Desktop: Intel i7 920 @ 3.2Ghz | Titan Fenrir Evo | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz CL9 | Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB| Seagate 500GB Enterprise ST3500320NS
                          Samsung F3 1TB HD103SJ | Antec Twelve Hundred | Optiarc 7260S | Fortron Epsilon 700W | Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW | Logitech 2.1 Z2300 THX | Logitech G5 & Logitech G15
                          Netbook: Acer Aspire One AOD255E-N55CQcc Brown | Intel Atom N550 | 2GB DDR3 | Intel GMA 3150 | 320GB HDD | 10.1" Glossy LED | 6 Cell @ Up To 8 Hours | 1.3MP Webcam

Even if others did not consider that you have any value - for your dog you're the center of the universe.
                          My number one rule is hope at all good in the world but to expect everything to be worse.

Comment

I just bought a UD5 on newegg, and I am going to receive it in 2-3 days.
                            7. Install Winrar and right click the BIOS.exe file and choose extract "here". Three files will be extracted, Autoexec.bat, Flash895.exe, and a .Fxx Bios File. You will need the Flash895.exe and the BIOS.Fxx File only

8. Place Flash895.exe and the BIOS .Fxx file onto the USB stick

9. Plug in your USB drive and reboot to enter bios.

10. Load Optimized Defaults, set the ram voltage to the specified Voltage for your ram

11. Go into the Hard Disk Boot Priority Option In Advanced BIOS Features Page and select your USB drive as the first bootable drive.

12. Reboot.

13. Once it boots to the USB, you will see a Windows 98 screen, and then the DOS prompt.

14. Run flash utility by typing "flash895 p35ds4.fxx" without the quotes at the DOS prompt

*NOTE*
                            You will need to change the ^^ p35ds4.fxx ^^ in the above command to the exact name of the BIOS file you have.
                            This really confuse me. You said on step 7 that after you extracted the BIOS.exe file, there should be 3 files in it. I opened the EX58UD5.F8f, and found only one file which is the EX58UD5.F8f. I don't see the other two.

Also, according to this Gigabyte Q-flash.pdf the only file is needed is the .fxx.

Which one is the proper way to flash the Gigabyte EX58-UD5?
                            I also noticed that your guide is before x58 mobos have been released. Does it mean this is only for socket 775 gigabytes.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.zaldivia View Post
                              @Lsdmeasap

I need your help! Updating my BIOS using Q-flash was successful (or not!?), however, after doing the suggested update (p31ds3l.f9) and rebooting, the same process of "Qflash utility preparing to load..." just keeps on looping.

To add up, this odd ticking sound (I think this is the CMOS battery - this is how it goes - titititititick....) just before the Qflash utility page.

Is this an error with the CMOS batt?
                              My mobo?

I tried clearing CMOS, removing CMOS batt but could not find any solution regarding the error I have encountered. Really hope you can help me.

MOBO:
                              GA-P31-DS3L (rev. 1.x)

Thanks!
                              So did you get it yet? Sorry for the late reply!!

Originally posted by d4m4g3 View Post
                              When I want to update the BIOS with the new F7 from the Gigabyte website, i get a message: " CHECKSUM = D500 / Are you sure to update BIOS?". I use an USB stick for the update. What shoud I do? Update, or not?

And another question is that i need to change "Keep DMI Data" from Enable to Disable? This is what i read on the first post, but there is something about RAID, i think.
                              That is normal to see Checksum info, always be sure this is four digits before you flash and you will be fine if the BIOS is for your board.

Keep DMI Data Disable, this way none of your old settings are saved/used in a newer BIOS version. If you are flashing the same BIOS version in again you can leave enabled.

Originally posted by 123456iambelial View Post
                              I just bought a UD5 on newegg, and I am going to receive it in 2-3 days.

This really confuse me. You said on step 7 that after you extracted the BIOS.exe file, there should be 3 files in it. I opened the EX58UD5.F8f, and found only one file which is the EX58UD5.F8f. I don't see the other two.

Also, according to this Gigabyte Q-flash.pdf the only file is needed is the .fxx.

Which one is the proper way to flash the Gigabyte EX58-UD5?
                              I also noticed that your guide is before x58 mobos have been released. Does it mean this is only for socket 775 gigabytes.

Thanks
                              That refers to a direct download from Gigabyte servers, where you would get the BIOS File, a batch file and the flash utility.

There are MANY ways to flash and all use different files and methods. If you are using Qflash all you need is the .fxx BIOS file.

This guide applies to all Gigabyte boards, even X58

If you need more help or something explained further let me know

Comment

I updated my BIOS from F7 to F8e.

I had this BIOS error last night when I turned my PC on. It was warning something, I can't really remember.
                                What it did was it went back to F7 BIOS.
                                Does it mean I am using the backup BIOS chip and the primary chip is dead already.
                                I just flashed it once like 3 days ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X