This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Yes, it very well could be. You normally need to tweak and retest things with BIOS version changes as previous settings may not work with new BIOS. You may need more or less of any given setting.

Since that is where you normally run 1.42V then yes, you may just need more or even less. Try a bit more and see

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Yes, it very well could be. You normally need to tweak and retest things with BIOS version changes as previous settings may not work with new BIOS. You may need more or less of any given setting.

Since that is where you normally run 1.42V then yes, you may just need more or even less. Try a bit more and see
      I cant go higher than that, im running on stock cooler :x

I figured out it was the bios that just wasnt any good, i changed it to a version that was older, but still better than the beta i was running. It seems to be doing great on optimized settings.

Thanks a lot for this guide, ill be sure to use it again if i forget how its done :)

Comment

Ahh well then you may need to back things down a bit again and try re-tweaking everything. Otherwise you may need to get a new cooler or go back to the Previous BOS you liked.

Glad to see you got things going smoothly again though, post back anytime if you need help with anything

Comment

what is the hotkey to flash the backup bios?
          X58A-UD7 Rev1 | Core i7 920 @ 191x21 4GHz | Thermalright Extreme 120 REV A | Corsair 6GB Dominator GT 1600 C7 | Sapphire HD4870 Toxic 1GB 800/1000 | Antec TPQ-850w

Comment

If your BIOS will allow it, ALT + F12. This Can void your warranty though, keep that in mind. Gigabyte wants the backup BIOS to remain as they have shipped it, or Qflash updates it.

Comment

The BIOS for the new P55-UD4P looks to be 2MB not 1MB.

Is this correct? It says the BIOS file should be 1MB.
              P55-UD4P - i7860 - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - 1600Mhz Mushkin 7-8-7-20 - 3 WD 640GB Black
              880GMA-UD2P - X6 1055T CPU - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - GSkill 1333 8-8-8-21 - 2 500GB WD Black
              2 or 3 other systems I like to play with and a laptop

Comment

Yes, they used larger Chips on the new boards to add room for all the new Smart6 features.

P55 should be 2MB you are correct

Comment

Thank you. I am getting one today. I wonder what version the first boards will have in the BIOS stock......

Can't wait to get it running with my i7860!
                  P55-UD4P - i7860 - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - 1600Mhz Mushkin 7-8-7-20 - 3 WD 640GB Black
                  880GMA-UD2P - X6 1055T CPU - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - GSkill 1333 8-8-8-21 - 2 500GB WD Black

Comment

Likely the first or second BIOS made, you can always get the latest in the BIOS Sticky

Good luck with the build!

Comment

If I get the latest BIOS in the sticky here, do I need to worry about the motherboard revision? (1.0, 1.1, etc) I know the new ones will not matter, but with other boards....do the latest BIOS work with ALL revisions?

Like my EP45-UD3P is 1.1 revision. I see no place you van choose like on the Gigabyte site.

Comment

Depends on the model, since you have P45-UD3P rev 1.1 (Same as 1.0 in this case) you just need the one that is not listed as rev 1.6 :)

F10f

On Gigabyte site you choose the revisions here at the top >>

Comment

A friend is telling me never to flash the BIOS until you "load optimized defaults"
                          I have never heard this, I didn't think it made a difference. I know it's in the guide to load them after you flash but not before. Is this correct? You do not need to "load optimized defaults" before flashing right?

Comment

Thank you for your help Lsdmeasap, you are amazing,

Before you flash a BIOS, do you need to load optimized defaults FIRST?

I was told by a friend he had ruined his board by flashing "over" his current overclock.
                            I don't think this is the case with the current Gigabyte boards. It may have been the case years ago but not now....is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by nate42nd View Post
                              A friend is telling me never to flash the BIOS until you "load optimized defaults"
                              I have never heard this, I didn't think it made a difference. I know it's in the guide to load them after you flash but not before. Is this correct? You do not need to "load optimized defaults" before flashing right?
                              Yes, it is wise to do. I personally do not always do this, but again YES it IS SUGGESTED.

Originally posted by nate42nd View Post
                              Thank you for your help Lsdmeasap, you are amazing,

Before you flash a BIOS, do you need to load optimized defaults FIRST?

I was told by a friend he had ruined his board by flashing "over" his current overclock.
                              I don't think this is the case with the current Gigabyte boards. It may have been the case years ago but not now....is this correct?

I do suggest that you do, that way if your current overclock is not stable then it could cause you corruption issues when you flash. Only takes a second or two to do this.

If your confident that your overclock is 100% Tested stable then you should have no issues.

I often do not do it (Even at 4.2Ghz+), and I have never had any issues. Flashing is fairly safe when you follow a safe procedure. Loading optimized is part of being safe, whether you do that or not is up to you.

Yes, I do believe he "could" have killed a board, with a bad overclock loaded the BIOS flash could have been corrupted in memory during the flash causing him to corrupt the MAIN BIOS. Killed board or not was his choice, there are several ways to recover a BIOS

So, in the end YES you SHOULD load optimized if you want to be on the safe side of things. Do you have to? No, it is not a must, only suggested for a safe pain free flash

Comment

Lsdmeasap, when you load optimized defaults, it sets everything right then. Is there a need to save and exit? If so, do you need to boot into the OS or just back into the BIOS.

Also, at what point (using the USB flash drive method) do you put in and take out the USB flash drive? Does it matter? I am getting conflicting information on these questions.

Edit:

I finally saw in the guide to save and apply optimized defaults then boot back into BIOS to set HD options, then if not running RAID boot into Windows (or other OS)

I am still wondering exactly when to "yank" the USB drive. Maybe it does not matter but I have been told to "yank" it before resetting and after the flash. (which I have done on all 6-7 flashes) Is this the correct way to do it? Am I using risky practices? Thanks
                                Last edited by nate42nd; 09-28-2009, 05:08 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

Working...
                                X