Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Welcome to GIGABYTE Technical Support!

Hi Janus, or anyone else who might help,

I have just assembled a new system from the following components:

o Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-D2SH rev 1.0 motherboard
    o AMD Athlon 4850e AM2 45W Dual Core CPU
    o 2x 2GB (matched pair) Patriot PC2-6400 C4 Viper Extreme Performance RAM
    o Antec Minuet case with 350W power supply

The board has integrated video (AMD 780G)

I have assembled my own PCs every few years without any probs. However, each time I do, the various standards have moved on a bit so there is always a possibility of making a mistake. I read the installation guides (motherboard and case) before starting and have re-read them carefully again.

When switched on, there is a repeating beep sequence that is not in any Gigabyte or Award BIOS documentation I can find, and no other sign of life, except the CPU fan is spinning and the power LED illuminated. There is no video signal at all, digital or analog.

There are 3 - sometimes 4 - beeps with pauses inbetween, followed by what sounds like two shorter beeps in quick succession. A whole sequence takes about 15 seconds. The beeps last about 1 second, and the pauses about 3-4 seconds. I suppose it could actually be the "continuous short beeps" (power problem) or the "continuous long beeps" (graphics card error - there isn't one). I have a recording but this forum won't let me upload it.

Isn't it about time mainboards spoke in a tinny voice instead of beeping at you?

Anyway, both the 4-pin +12V and 24-pin ATX supplies are connected to the board. I have a multitester if anyone can suggest some good things to test. But please spell it out.. what to put the red probe on and what to put the black one on... ;-)

To try to isolate the problem, I have reseated the CPU, the RAM (and tried it without - same beep sequence), and have now got everything disconnected except the power, speaker, keyboard and video, with the board sat on a plastic sheet to ensure there is no shorting on the case. Result - exactly the same as before.

I have reset the CMOS by removing the battery for a few minutes and replacing it.

I have tried it with no memory, and with each stick in turn on its own - same result.

The place I bought the components from is one of those pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap places, so their customer service isn't great. If I can at least isolate the problem, it will help me to get a return code to replace the faulty component, if there is one.

Thanks!
    Dave
    Last edited by dmarti14; 01-09-2009, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Hey there, just built a i7 system around a EX58-UD5 mobo, and everything is working perfect right now except for one minor problem, though it might just be cosmetic? During post, and in the bios, it's reporting 4gb of memory. On one boot it even showed only 2GB of RAM. In windows and cpu-Z, it's showing the full 6gb, which I guess is all that matters...but still, just want to confirm this is a bios reporting bug and has no effect on my computer's performance.

P.S. currently using F5c bios, but motherboard shipped with F3 bios and both displayed the exact same issue.

Appreciate any insight into this glitch.

Comment

Originally posted by d3nv3r View Post
        On the MB's DVD (the one with the drivers) there are some utility software and one of them shows temps of the cpu. This software showed a 44 degree temp on the cpu and in BIOS I saw a 56 degree temp at the whole system feature. It's not a threat (yet, at least) but it does concern me a bit. Thanks
        Ahh you mean EasyTune eh, well in the BIOS certain Power features are not in effect that are/may be in windows. That may be why you see higher temps in the BIOS vs windows. Please use Everest for voltages/temps and CoreTemp or RealTemp to check your Core temps

Originally posted by rubberkidney View Post
        Hi i just got/put together a new pc, i finished putting it all together and turned it on and...nothing. The Phase leds are all lit up..the case fan and the cpu fan jiggle for just a moment then go dead. im attempting to start it up with just 2 gigs of RAM OCZ 1066. my processor is quad core Q6600 2.4 GHz, and my Gigabyte motherboard is model GA-EP45-UD3R/UD3, 500W powersupply, western digital 1 TB hdd, geforce 9600 vid card. i tested the videocard in another machine and it works fine. Still need to try to swap out the ram. Cant test the mother board or the cpu since i have nothing else to put them in. Thanks for your time.
        Please try with only one stick of ram. Have you tested this ram with memtest86+ to be sure it is not DOA? Test in another board if you can, if not use yours if you can >>>
        Memtest86+

If you still have no luck, please try Clearing your CMOS, In Post #2 here I have outlined my suggested method >>

Originally posted by dmarti14 View Post
        Hi Janus, or anyone else who might help,

I have just assembled a new system from the following components:

o Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-D2SH rev 1.0 motherboard
        o AMD Athlon 4850e AM2 45W Dual Core CPU
        o 2x 2GB (matched pair) Patriot PC2-6400 C4 Viper Extreme
        Performance RAM
        o Antec Minuet case with 350W power supply

The board has integrated video (AMD 780G)

I have assembled my own PCs every few years without any probs. However, each time I do, the various standards have moved on a bit so there is always a possibility of making a mistake. I read the installation guides (motherboard and case) before starting and have re-read them carefully again.

When switched on, there is a repeating beep sequence that is not in any Gigabyte or Award BIOS documentation I can find, and no other sign of life, except the CPU fan is spinning and the power LED illuminated. There is no video signal at all, digital or analog.

There are 3 - sometimes 4 - beeps with pauses inbetween, followed by what sounds like two shorter beeps in quick succession. A whole sequence takes about 15 seconds. The beeps last about 1 second, and the pauses about 3-4 seconds. I suppose it could actually be the "continuous short beeps" (power problem) or the "continuous long beeps" (graphics card error - there isn't one). I have a recording but this forum won't let me upload it.

Both the 4-pin +12V and 24-pin ATX supplies are connected to the board. I have a multitester if anyone can suggest some good things to test. But please spell it out.. what to put the red probe on and what to put the black one on... ;-)

To try to isolate the problem, I have reseated the CPU, the RAM (and tried it without - same beep sequence), and have now got everything disconnected except the power, speaker, keyboard and video, with the board sat on a plastic sheet to ensure there is no shorting on the case. Result - exactly the same as before.

I have reset the CMOS by removing the battery for a few minutes and replacing it.

I have tried it with no memory, and with each stick in turn on its own - same result.

The place I bought the components from is one of those pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap places, so their customer service isn't great. If I can at least isolate the problem, it will help me to get a return code to replace the faulty component, if there is one.

Thanks!
        Dave
        Please try clearing your CMOS with the method I outlin here in post # 2, then try with only one stick of ram >>>

Have you or can you test this ram one by one in another system, if so please run 5 full passes on each stick to be sure you do not hav faulty ram >>
        Memtest86+

Then if still no luck, I would try removeing the CPU and insepcting the socket for bent pins, and then reinstall the CPU and try again

Originally posted by gFiz View Post
        Hey there, just built a i7 system around a EX58-UD5 mobo, and everything is working perfect right now except for one minor problem, though it might just be cosmetic? During post, and in the bios, it's reporting 4gb of memory. On one boot it even showed only 2GB of RAM. In windows and cpu-Z, it's showing the full 6gb, which I guess is all that matters...but still, just want to confirm this is a bios reporting bug and has no effect on my computer's performance.

P.S. currently using F5c bios, but motherboard shipped with F3 bios and both displayed the exact same issue.

Appreciate any insight into this glitch.
        See this, and see if you have a bent pin >>

Comment

Greetings all Gigabyters,

Hope someone can suggest a way around this little boot-glitch I seem to have.
          All mboard and system specs are below my narrative. Thanks for any suggestions.

On Page 6 of this mobo manual, Section 2-1, Startup Screen, it describes how to turn off the "SATA is found running in IDE MODE" by pressing "N" for NO and to stop showing this message. Please tell me how to get this to actually work. I do not want to use AHCI mode. The "N" has been pressed over 10 times at varying points in the boot time and this message continues to show up and halt/stop the boot process.
          Thanks.
          Craig

---
          Motherboard Model: GA-E7AUM-DS2H (rev. 1.0)
          M/B Rev : 1.0
          BIOS Ver : F1
          Serial No. : SN085000025668
          Purchase Dealer : Newegg
          VGA Brand : Nvidia Model : NV GeForce 9400
          CPU Brand : Intel Model : E8400 Speed : 3.2 GHz
          Operation System : Win XP SP : 3
          Memory Brand : Corsair Type : DDRII
          Memory Size : 2 GB Speed : 800MHz

Comment

Hi there,
            Did you hear any bios error beeps? Usually a long beep followed by a short beep indicates a memory stick problem.
            CB27

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              Please try clearing your CMOS with the method I outlin here in post # 2, then try with only one stick of ram >>>
              OK thanks for the tip I'll try that.

Have you or can you test this ram one by one in another system, if so please run 5 full passes on each stick to be sure you do not hav faulty ram >>
              Memtest86+
              Unfortunately don't know anyone with a system new enough to take DDR2. Most have laptops nowadays. Might be able to dissect a PC at work tho, I'll have a go. The beeps are the same with no RAM, or just one stick but maybe that's what you're thinking?

Then if still no luck, I would try removeing the CPU and insepcting the socket for bent pins, and then reinstall the CPU and try again
              Have tried that already but thankx for suggestion.
              Last edited by dmarti14; 01-09-2009, 02:10 PM.

Comment

How did the Clear CMOS go? Ya, you are going to have to start now with Testing that ram to be sure it is not faulty/DOA it happens and would be the next thing to test before you may want to consider RMA on the board as it may be faulty.

You have tried with the minimal connected right, to rule out a bad drive stopping the startup right?

You do have the ATX 12V 4/8Pin and ATX 24 pin connected right? Have to ask, ya would be surprised how many times I see users not plugging in the 4/8Pin ATX Plug

Originally posted by CB27cb27 View Post
                Greetings all Gigabyters,

Hope someone can suggest a way around this little boot-glitch I seem to have.
                All mboard and system specs are below my narrative. Thanks for any suggestions.

On Page 6 of this mobo manual, Section 2-1, Startup Screen, it describes how to turn off the "SATA is found running in IDE MODE" by pressing "N" for NO and to stop showing this message. Please tell me how to get this to actually work. I do not want to use AHCI mode. The "N" has been pressed over 10 times at varying points in the boot time and this message continues to show up and halt/stop the boot process.
                Thanks.
                Craig
                To Use AHCI mode, you would need to enable it, then do a clean install using the AHCI Driver

Comment

Hi,

I've got a problem with the BIOS of my GA-EX58-UD5 Firmwire 3.
                  I've installed a password for the bios and now I can't use the full BIOS! before I enter my password I can see the whole menu is yellow, but when I've entered my password I can't select every menu I want. I've tried to clear the CMOS but that doens't work.
                  How can I make full use of my BIOS again?

Comment

Can you disable the Password?

Try clearing the CMOS Fully using this method >>>

Here is also some reading that may help if fully clearing your CMOS does not and you cannot disable the password >>>

Comment

How did the Clear CMOS go? Ya, you are going to have to start now with Testing that ram to be sure it is not faulty/DOA it happens and would be the next thing to test before you may want to consider RMA on the board as it may be faulty.
                      Made no diff unfortunately, by the way perhaps you should highlight the "disconnect the power at the wall first" bit, I nearly missed it.

You have tried with the minimal connected right, to rule out a bad drive stopping the startup right?

You do have the ATX 12V 4/8Pin and ATX 24 pin connected right? Have to ask, ya would be surprised how many times I see users not plugging in the 4/8Pin ATX Plug
                      Yes to both qs, the power supply connection had me initially though! I'm going to take the RAM into work tomorrow to try it on a PC there. I found some info that repeating long beeps can indicate a RAM problem.

Comment

i did it finally with the clear CMOS button on the backpanel. everything was set to default and the password was gone. now i can try to set a raid :-)
                        tnx for the quick respond!

Comment

Glad to see you got it cleared A4-tje!

@ Dmarti14

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

Comment

I tried the RAM in another PC - its the RAM. The other PC (a Dell) wouldn't boot either. The motherboard seems to work fine with some other memory I borrowed.

Do you believe the RAM is faulty, or have I misunderstood the specifications? It is PC2-6400 RAM, which I thought, in theory would be compatible. It has latency timings of 4-4-4-12, and voltage requirements of 2.2 - 2.4V.

Thanks for the pointers

Comment

Yes, sounds like the ram may be faulty... But since that is high voltage rated ram it just may not be booting due to the default 1.8V of the board.

Use the ram you have that works, go into the BIOS and set 2.1V and save and apply/reboot then shut down and install your other ram. 2.2V is not likely needed, that is why I suggested 2.1V

Please link me to your ram if you can, if not tell me what model # it is

Comment

How is it possible to set RAID?
                                I've got 2 harddrives for games and programs, now I want 3 more 1T hd's in RAID 5.
                                Everything goes correct until i want to boot up. Then it gives an error (cant see what it is) and the system reboots, It does it all the time. Starting xp in safe mode doesn't help also.
                                I don't want to set the other 2 HD's in RAID because I want them to stay like they are.
                                I'm using firmwire F3

Comment

Working...
                                X