X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASRock 970 Extreme4 FX-8350 Unstable with Stock Settings

Originally posted by pmarcus View Post
    Arni,

I think I mentioned in the PM, one of my systems I had to go to 1.3875 on the core and 1.65 on the RAM to get them stable. They seem to be fine overclocked that way and with stock speed. Good luck!
    im hoping they can fix this with BIOS update?? , hoping we can try the BETA bios soon!!

Comment

Originally posted by pmarcus View Post
      Arni,

I think I mentioned in the PM, one of my systems I had to go to 1.3875 on the core and 1.65 on the RAM to get them stable. They seem to be fine overclocked that way and with stock speed. Good luck!
      Yes I saw your message, but I also disabled Turbo core option in bios and my cpu is FX-8150, so it is slower than yours. That is why I think 1.3675 is more than enough for 3600 MHZ speed. I'll try to put more voltage on RAM and maybe will make it 1.55 or 1.60v. Anyway the system is working more stable after I put the voltages manually, so there is definitely something wrong with auto settings on this motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by z24 View Post
        im hoping they can fix this with BIOS update?? , hoping we can try the BETA bios soon!!
        I hope so too. Actually I found one beta bios on their website here ASRock > 970 Extreme4 but I didn't try it yet. I am still waiting for answer from Emily.

Comment

So for now the system is working stable. I have bee running Intel Burn test and OCCT burn for 24 hours without any errors. I hope that the problem was solved. So I think that the problem was mainly in RAM voltage, because after increasing only CPU voltage the system gave me error. So I would recommend to put CPU and Ram voltages manually who have some problems with motherboard until they make new Bios.

Comment

Originally posted by Arni View Post
            So for now the system is working stable. I have bee running Intel Burn test and OCCT burn for 24 hours without any errors. I hope that the problem was solved. So I think that the problem was mainly in RAM voltage, because after increasing only CPU voltage the system gave me error. So I would recommend to put CPU and Ram voltages manually who have some problems with motherboard until they make new Bios.
            Arni whats the final setting to get your system stable??

Vcore and Vdimm......and other setting??

i think voltage control might be the key. we have re-test the Same Exact FX8150 chip that fail in the Asrock 970 EXTREME4 we have put into ASUS M5A99X Mainboard

and it works beautifully with PRIME95 , Asrock 970 EXTREME 4 definitely got some issue!! now im waiting on NEW BIOS to fix the issue!!

Comment

Beta Bios 2.20A (from ASRock website) had no impact on the problem. I don't know if the bios that Emily from ASRock said she had available is different as I have not heard from her with a copy of the beta bios she referred to.

Comment

Dear all,

Sorry for the late reply.
                Because we did more test with the beta BIOS before, we spent some time double checking the BIOS.

For this issue, please kindly update 970 Extreme4 BIOS L2.21B from below link to try.
                Link: http://download.asrock.com/bios/AM3+...L2.21B)ROM.zip

After testing the BIOS, please kindly provide the test result for me.

If any question, please let me know.
                Thank you very much!

Have a nice day
                ASRock TSD
                Emily
                Last edited by ASRock TSD - Emily; 01-15-2013, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ASRock TSD - Emily View Post
                  Dear all,

Sorry for the late reply.
                  Because we did more test with the beta BIOS before, we spent some time double checking the BIOS.

For this issue, please kindly update 970 Extreme4 BIOS L2.21B from below link to try.
                  Link: http://download.asrock.com/bios/AM3+...L2.21B)ROM.zip

After testing the BIOS, please kindly provide the test result for me.

If any question, please let me know.
                  Thank you very much!

Have a nice day
                  ASRock TSD
                  Emily
                  I upgraded Bios to this one. Will inform later if it helped or not. Thank you.

Comment

The beta bios 2.21B seems to work better.

With stock settings Prime95 has run without issue for about 20 hours.

I noted that the idle voltages are much higher than before also (which might be how they fixed the problem)
                    idle voltage is 1.416 according to the bios
                    during a 1 core stress test the voltage was 1.42V
                    during an 8 core stress test the voltage was nominally 1.33 to 1.36 but dipped as low as 1.296. CPU temp was about the same as I have seen at 75C with the stock cooler.

So in short I think this does address the problem with stability of the processors. I have only tried this on one of the 3 systems so far.

One other note is that I still had to overvoltage the 1866 memory which is rated for 1.5V. It needs to be run at 1.65V. Given that the board is rated for 1333 memory (which works fine) I don't think I'd fault ASRock on that.
                    Last edited by pmarcus; 01-16-2013, 08:14 AM. Reason: updated prime95 test

Comment

Indeed it is working much stable on 2.21B Bios on stock settings. I have been running OCCT burn and Intel Burn test for about 3 hours and everything is fine. Will let it run overnight to see the results. I didn't even changed any setting for RAM, everything is by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Arni View Post
                        Indeed it is working much stable on 2.21B Bios on stock settings. I have been running OCCT burn and Intel Burn test for about 3 hours and everything is fine. Will let it run overnight to see the results. I didn't even changed any setting for RAM, everything is by default.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 16-01-13 1 58 34 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	753471

Guys the result seem to good so far...will leave it on Over night to see if it pass 15hour prime 95 test!!

will keep sending the result, Fx8150 with stock setting and BETA BIOS L2.21B

everything stock no adjustment made at all!!

Comment

Dear all,

Thanks for the detailed test result and the help!

If any question, please feel free to let me know.
                          Thanks!

Have a nice day
                          ASRock TSD
                          Emily
                          Last edited by ASRock TSD - Emily; 01-17-2013, 05:03 AM.

Comment

I had the same issue with ASRock 970 Extreme4 (BIOS v2.20) and a brand-new FX-8350. The same system setup was rock-stable with my old Phenom II 965 X4.

Upgrading BIOS to v2.21B seems to have resolved this issue. Now my system seems stable and Prime95 hasn't produced any error for 1 hour (or so) at stock (auto) settings,
                            while previously some applications would rarely hang, and Prime95 produced errors within seconds/minutes.

Notes:
                            Using XMP Profile 1.2 / Memory speed @DDR3-1600 / Auto memory timings.
                            Max CPU temperature ~67 Celcius under full load / Zalman CNPS10X Extreme PWM Setting = Low (Max ~1600RPM).
                            Disabled CPU thermal throttling.

I will try to leave my system running overnight (at least 12 hours) and report the results.

Thanks Emily!
                            Last edited by MadMaxx; 01-17-2013, 02:14 PM.

Comment

My system has been running burn tests for about 2 days already without stopping and it seems everything is working fine. Thank you Emily. BTW it would interesting to know what was the problem that was fixed in this bios. If it is possible could you please let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMaxx View Post
                                I had the same issue with ASRock 970 Extreme4 (BIOS v2.20) and a brand-new FX-8350. The same system setup was rock-stable with my old Phenom II 965 X4.

Upgrading BIOS to v2.21B seems to have resolved this issue. Now my system seems stable and Prime95 hasn't produced any error for 1 hour (or so) at stock (auto) settings,
                                while previously some applications would rarely hang, and Prime95 produced errors within seconds/minutes.

Notes:
                                Using XMP Profile 1.2 / Memory speed @DDR3-1600 / Auto memory timings.
                                Max CPU temperature ~67 Celcius under full load / Zalman CNPS10X Extreme PWM Setting = Low (Max ~1600RPM).
                                Disabled CPU thermal throttling.

I will try to leave my system running overnight (at least 12 hours) and report the results.

Thanks Emily!
                                guys and Emily we have test the FX8150 + 970 EXTREME 4 over 20 hour PRIME 95 PASS

here is the result

Click image for larger version

Name:	screendump.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	753475

How ever i would still like to know what has been fix and what is the original Problem??

Comment

Working...
                                X