X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ASRock Beta BIOS

Originally posted by parsec View Post
    Fine, but BE CAREFUL!! We already have one ASR X79 board owner that flashed to the IVB-E compatible BIOS, while still using their SB-E, and reporting issues. We saw the same thing with the BIOS updates for IVB CPUs, on SB chipset boards (P67, Z68, etc.), when the user was still using their SB CPU. The INF and IME updates needed along with the BIOS update may cure things, but I've seen these problems to many times to feel safe about these "transition" BIOS updates.
    I seem to be lucky, I didn't even update the drivers and had no problems, I have back dated my bios just for testing and went back to the newest. I have thrown in unmatched memory and still run quad, have thrown in all kinds of memory not on the list and never had a problem.

I noticed you posted somewhere about memory and how now it's important to be on the list.

Which is almost impossible, most times the memory is outdated and not for sale, then there is no memory over 4gb, most everyone is running 8, 16, 32, and not one in the list, so how does anyone get it when there is nothing listed.

Comment

Originally posted by odiebugs View Post
      I seem to be lucky, I didn't even update the drivers and had no problems, I have back dated my bios just for testing and went back to the newest. I have thrown in unmatched memory and still run quad, have thrown in all kinds of memory not on the list and never had a problem.

I noticed you posted somewhere about memory and how now it's important to be on the list.

Which is almost impossible, most times the memory is outdated and not for sale, then there is no memory over 4gb, most everyone is running 8, 16, 32, and not one in the list, so how does anyone get it when there is nothing listed.
      So you've applied the IVB-E CPU support BIOS/UEFI version to your ASRock X79 board, and all is well? No problem with multipliers or any OC?

If not, great, and interesting too, the key may be not updating the drivers, really just IME or actually apparently the IME firmware version. The IME firmware is a basic part of the SB to IVB CPU BIOS update, according to Intel. The question is where is the firmware update done, as part of the BIOS update process, or in the IME software update?

About the memory, I always tell users to use memory from the QVL/Compatible list. Or I should say, I say that to people that are surprised that the randomly selected memory they have did not work. This and other forums are filled with memory compatibility problems with new mother boards. Those people are looking for a definite answer about what memory works. If I don't use the board they have, what else can I tell them?

Yes the list is very limited and incomplete, but it is safe to recommend using the list. Many users with this issue complain about needing to buy new memory, they can't afford it. That also means they don't have any other memory to even try using.

You and I have boxes of PC parts we can try in our PCs, but not everyone is like us. I have memory that is said to work with CPU X and chipset Y by the manufacture, but did not work in that case. I've also used mismatched sets of the same model that work fine. I have mixed memory models in DDR2 memory boards that worked fine. I've never been able to do that with DDR3. The only "generic" DDR3 memory I've found is the Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US, which is very hard to find anymore.

So you just toss any DDR3 DIMMs in a mother board and they work? Come on...

Comment

So you've applied the IVB-E CPU support BIOS/UEFI version to your ASRock X79 board, and all is well? No problem with multipliers or any OC?

If not, great, and interesting too, the key may be not updating the drivers, really just IME or actually apparently the IME firmware version. The IME firmware is a basic part of the SB to IVB CPU BIOS update, according to Intel. The question is where is the firmware update done, as part of the BIOS update process, or in the IME software update?

About the memory, I always tell users to use memory from the QVL/Compatible list. Or I should say, I say that to people that are surprised that the randomly selected memory they have did not work. This and other forums are filled with memory compatibility problems with new mother boards. Those people are looking for a definite answer about what memory works. If I don't use the board they have, what else can I tell them?

Yes the list is very limited and incomplete, but it is safe to recommend using the list. Many users with this issue complain about needing to buy new memory, they can't afford it. That also means they don't have any other memory to even try using.

You and I have boxes of PC parts we can try in our PCs, but not everyone is like us. I have memory that is said to work with CPU X and chipset Y by the manufacture, but did not work in that case. I've also used mismatched sets of the same model that work fine. I have mixed memory models in DDR2 memory boards that worked fine. I've never been able to do that with DDR3. The only "generic" DDR3 memory I've found is the Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US, which is very hard to find anymore.

So you just toss any DDR3 DIMMs in a mother board and they work? Come on...
        I threw in DDR1 and it worked

I actually know that we don't update a BIOS unless we have the problem that the newer BIOS fixes, or updates rom's or CPU, so when there is problems, I know it's my fault for updating.

I installed the newest BETA, L2.01 and then ran the OC utility. All was fine, had CPU upto 4.1, ran passmark and returned 10240. Without OC it's around 9400.

Then after a few boots, I had to boot and she started to turn off boot, this would do it about 5 times then boot ok.

I turned off the utility and she still did it during a cold boot. So I re-flashed the 2.01 and all was ok.

There's a bug OC the sandy on the Ivy BIOS, but I don't OC, just did it to see. They will need to work out some bugs, or note not to use newer on the sandy.

She is booting fine, I just installed the newest 8.1 9471, just kidding, I would never install a OS that was Micro confidential.

I built a few systems, and had the chance to try some Gskill, Geil, Corsair, the only problem was corsair, but I swapped the ram around and she booted just fine.

I always tell people stick to the QVL also, but when they don't have anything for 8,16,32, I just say I'll pick one close to the model/brand in a higher size then what's on the list.
        Last edited by odiebugs; 08-13-2013, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Best Bios for the X79 Extreme9 is L3.43a

Compared with 3.61

Enhanced Halt State (C1E), now works with the E5-SBEP(3.61)
          Voltage Control, doesn't work anymore with 3.61, Voltages are not displayed correctly, but works in 3.43a.

PCIe 3.0, , Blackscreen after the first boot, fixed in 3.43a.
          OC-Profil, Good OC possibilities in 3.43a.

So i think 3.60 and newer are based on 3.30 ;(

Comment

Originally posted by Cyras View Post
            Best Bios for the X79 Extreme9 is L3.43a

Compared with 3.61

Enhanced Halt State (C1E), now works with the E5-SBEP(3.61)
            Voltage Control, doesn't work anymore with 3.61, Voltages are not displayed correctly, but works in 3.43a.

PCIe 3.0, , Blackscreen after the first boot, fixed in 3.43a.
            OC-Profil, Good OC possibilities in 3.43a.

So i think 3.60 and newer are based on 3.30 ;(

Trying to get asrock to remove the "support line 2 that say's support RST 12.7", I assume this is why people are updating a BIOS that is only for supporting IVY, and Ivy isn't out , so not sure why anyone would update when they don't have it besides the listing of RST.

Or put in a note not to for people who don't realize you don't install a BIOS for a Ivy when you have sandy.

Until some bug's are worked out and the newest can run both with no problems.

Comment

Oh yes thats right, and another problem is that ASRock has deleted all other bioses and so the user has no alternative for Sandy Bridge-E/EP CPUs, at this time and in the next time ;).

Comment

I threw in DDR1 and it worked

I actually know that we don't update a BIOS unless we have the problem that the newer BIOS fixes, or updates rom's or CPU, so when there is problems, I know it's my fault for updating.

I installed the newest BETA, L2.01 and then ran the OC utility. All was fine, had CPU upto 4.1, ran passmark and returned 10240. Without OC it's around 9400.

Then after a few boots, I had to boot and she started to turn off boot, this would do it about 5 times then boot ok.

I turned off the utility and she still did it during a cold boot. So I re-flashed the 2.01 and all was ok.

There's a bug OC the sandy on the Ivy BIOS, but I don't OC, just did it to see. They will need to work out some bugs, or note not to use newer on the sandy.

She is booting fine, I just installed the newest 8.1 9471, just kidding, I would never install a OS that was Micro confidential.

I built a few systems, and had the chance to try some Gskill, Geil, Corsair, the only problem was corsair, but I swapped the ram around and she booted just fine.

I always tell people stick to the QVL also, but when they don't have anything for 8,16,32, I just say I'll pick one close to the model/brand in a higher size then what's on the list.
                So you can confirm the SB CPU OC issue with the new IVB-E compatible BIOS. That's the point of that guy's post. Fortunately that is the "only" issue with this new BIOS... hopefully. Intel reported a similar issue with their own 6-series chipset boards (Z68) so yet again here.

Comment

So you can confirm the SB CPU OC issue with the new IVB-E compatible BIOS. That's the point of that guy's post. Fortunately that is the "only" issue with this new BIOS... hopefully. Intel reported a similar issue with their own 6-series chipset boards (Z68) so yet again here.

I know, was just off kilter, just don't think someone should blame asrock when the update is mainly for Ivy, not sandy. Must be going though mind life crisis.

But this does fall along the lines of someone buying a board that's only SLI and goes with crossfire after only to find it doesn't, then blaming the MFG.

Someone clearing CMOS to update then locks up because the manual states not to clear before or after, just an example.

The basis point is people do things, buy things, don't read or pay attention they fluff off their own responsibly.

On a note, I don't think asrock should have put out the update until sept, or deleted the sandy bios, placed in a note not to use Ivy on a sandy, but then what MFG explains things.
                  Last edited by odiebugs; 08-13-2013, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I know, was just off kilter, just don't think someone should blame asrock when the update is mainly for Ivy, not sandy. Must be going though mind life crisis.

But this does fall along the lines of someone buying a board that's only SLI and goes with crossfire after only to find it doesn't, then blaming the MFG.

Someone clearing CMOS to update then locks up because the manual states not to clear before or after, just an example.

The basis point is people do things, buy things, don't read or pay attention they fluff off their own responsibly.

On a note, I don't think asrock should have put out the update until sept, or deleted the sandy bios, placed in a note not to use Ivy on a sandy, but then what MFG explains things.
                    I must agree with you about some users that just blindly apply the latest BIOS, firmware, or alpha/beta drivers that are available. New is not always equal to better, there are many examples of that with IRST drivers, for example.

It's also true that some users do not study the updates closely enough, or at all. Mobo manufactures must know this, so really need to add multiple, clear warnings about these updates, particularly in the case of these CPU compatibility changes. That would save everyone, including themselves, a lot of grief, trouble, and frustration. Why they don't add these warnings is such a mystery to me.

It also is apparently SO important from a marketing standpoint to be the first to do something, such as have the IVB-E compatible BIOS available. That doesn't impress me at all.

Comment

I must agree with you about some users that just blindly apply the latest BIOS, firmware, or alpha/beta drivers that are available. New is not always equal to better, there are many examples of that with IRST drivers, for example.

It's also true that some users do not study the updates closely enough, or at all. Mobo manufactures must know this, so really need to add multiple, clear warnings about these updates, particularly in the case of these CPU compatibility changes. That would save everyone, including themselves, a lot of grief, trouble, and frustration. Why they don't add these warnings is such a mystery to me.

It also is apparently SO important from a marketing standpoint to be the first to do something, such as have the IVB-E compatible BIOS available. That doesn't impress me at all.

I love U

Comment

I love U
                        Now if I only knew what to write that would cause women to respond like that to me...

No offense Odie, but not my type... not looking for a bro-mance.

Comment

Now if I only knew what to write that would cause women to respond like that to me...

No offense Odie, but not my type... not looking for a bro-mance.
                          Just messing with you, I'm only on one side of the fence, the side with the 36D 24 36. LOL

Comment

Just messing with you, I'm only on one side of the fence, the side with the 36D 24 36. LOL
                            Not to worry, I get it.

Hey, you reminded me about the "measurements" thing, we don't hear about that anymore. No doubt a sexist thing, I get that too.

Comment

New OC MOD Bios for Ivy-E.

Clock Generator Configuration

QPI-Link Config.

Extreme9 L3.62 (Mod):
                              • ADD Clock Generator Configuration
                              • ADD QPI-Link Config.
                                Download

Extreme11 L3.01 (Mod2):
                              • Improve CPU performance
                              • ADD QPI-Link Configuration
                                Download

Comment

Originally posted by Cyras View Post
                                New OC MOD Bios for Ivy-E.

Clock Generator Configuration

QPI-Link Config.

Extreme9 L3.62 (Mod):
                                • ADD QPI-Link Config.
                                  Download

Extreme11 L3.01 (Mod2):
                                • Improve CPU performance
                                • ADD QPI-Link Configuration
                                  Download
                                Is there a new Fatal1ty X79 Professional bios for Ivy-e too?

Comment

Working...
                                X