No announcement yet.

Connecting thru network error, slow shutdown fix, XP Tweaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmmm good stuff but ive seen/done it before, commonnnn give us the goods that arnt public :):):)...

Comment

When I try to change the registry to make the shutdown time faster, as in the tip given here:

"Open up REGEDIT and goto "HKCURRENTUSER\Control Panel\Desktop\" and set the key "HungAppTimeout" to 5000(which is default) and make "WaitToKillAppTimeout"
      4000 (20000 is default).

Also, go to "HKLOCALMACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\" and set the key "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" to 4000 too."

I can't change the registry values because my registry does not have HungAppTimeout or WaitToKillAppTimeout in HKCURRENTUSER\Control Panel\Desktop\

I did find them both in HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

Does anybody know if that will work as well? Or, since I don't have those two values in HKEY_LOCALMACHINE, will my shutdown time be fast regardless, since there is no value of 20000?

Thx for the help!

Comment

Hello, first
        Although my rating writes "newbie" on this board, I'm no PC newbie at all :devil:

Now for the challenge: since I'm a tweaker since W3.1, I couldn't help tweaking XP via various proggies or manu propria, with no problem at all until recently, when I stumbled into something peculiar, totally new to me

Brief, I seem to have lost the "stand by" button (It is grayed out now; inactive), along with the shut down and sleep function keys on the keyboard

Note that this happened after a HD format & clean install. They were not the first ones, but just now this happened. I tried another clean install, with the same result... Have you any clue about what could've caused this?

Thanks in advance! : peace2: :cheers:
        LS

@ edit: My PC is p3/800, 128 MB RAM, no UPS, and same hardware configuration in last 2 years

Comment

what's "QoS Packet Scheduler " and how do I know if I've got it?

(I ask because my boot up is quick, but my shut-down is slow)

thanks,

Sunshine

Comment

Originally posted by Sunshine
            what's "QoS Packet Scheduler " and how do I know if I've got it?

(I ask because my boot up is quick, but my shut-down is slow)

thanks,

Sunshine
            go to start-->control panel-->network connections
            Right click on the icon of your local area network. Chose properties.
            In the next wondows that pops up, you will see QoS packet scheduler mentioned (if you have got it installed ofcourse).

about wat it is...look for dagger's explanation of packet scheduler on page 2 of this thread. its a good one!
            Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
            Last Updated:
            10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
            ======================
            jabber : [email protected]
            =======================
            Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
            yabaa dabaa doo...
            Customized for 1024x768

Comment

ok, now i got a real question for you. I have seen both those tweaks and i know exactly where you got them from...
              lets see if you can live up to this reputation of yours in your thread.
              Heres my question:

It has been my long desire since I recieved XP home to gain access to the QoS Packet Scheduler......What a conveinant thing for microsoft to leave out gpedit.msc on XP home edition. So I need to know how to free up the 20% of restricted access. Thanks

Comment

Simple. To turn off QOS (Quality of Service), go to Services and turn off (Disable) the QOS RSVP service. Done.

If you want to make doubly sure, go into the Networking properties tab for your Connection and untick (and even Uninstall) the QOS Packet Scheduler item there.

All the tweaks in group editor can be performed by other means such as Registry editing or otherwise, so don't panic.
                My Machine

Comment

yo, I think I "accidently" installed a second network connection when I was trying to dl some type of "celeb" movie. Anyway, I only realized now that damn thing created it's own network connection, other than my normal Local Area Connection. But it says I can't delete it while it's connected or trying to connect. HELP PLEASE!!!

Comment

Out of interest what does allowing guest logins fix?

I think this is a bug I don't know about.

Comment

Re: Connecting thru network error, slow shutdown fix, XP Tweaks

Now for the faster shutdown which has worked every time that ive seen...

Open up REGEDIT and goto "HKCURRENTUSER\Control Panel\Desktop\" and set the key "HungAppTimeout" to 5000(which is default) and make "WaitToKillAppTimeout"
                      4000 (20000 is default).

Also, go to "HKLOCALMACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\" and set the key "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" to 4000 too. That should make the shutdown complete in 4 secs.

Hope this all works!!! :thumb: :)

**** One thing no-one has mentioned on any website or thread I have found in reference to slow shutdown for windows xp is the size of your paging file. I experienced 3-4 minute shut down period and did a number of tweaks which didn't seem to help. As soon as I reset the paging file size to system managed size everything was fine and dandy- and faster because of the tweaks I had done previously.
                      "Start\Settings\Controlpanel\System\Advanced\Perfo rmance\Advanced\Virtual Memory\Change" Set to system managed size ****

Comment

Re: Connecting thru network error, slow shutdown fix, XP Tweaks

Without reading your post or the thread, I'd say that you would have been more helpful two and a half years ago.

Comment

Working...
                        X