No announcement yet.

Connecting thru network error, slow shutdown fix, XP Tweaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I knew about all those tweaks, except for the shutdown one. and of course it does work, woohooo

Comment

Excellent Tweak, those sockcuckers at Microsoft were stealing my valuable bandwidth!

This Tweak is a must.

Comment

wat does this QOS packet thingy do anyway?

is it ok if you don't have it installed, cause i uninstalled it when i got my home network setup

Comment

Grim Reaper,

No Sh*t - Thank YOU! All of a sudden it was taking about 18 seconds to shut down XP. Couldn't figure out what happened until I found this forum and saw you post on nVIDIA Driver Helper Service. I had just upgraded the nVidia drivers at about the same time I started the delay, so set it to manual, and boom, shut down in 4 seconds!!!

thanx,
          dagger

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
          nps...

another thing that can help shutdowns is going to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools --> Services & setting the nVIDIA Driver Helper Service to manual...

Comment

Oh ya - how did you figure out this nVIDIA tweak?????????

dagger

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny
              wat does this QOS packet thingy do anyway?

is it ok if you don't have it installed, cause i uninstalled it when i got my home network setup
              if you uninstall QOS it will still reserve 20% of your bandwidth anyway, don't ask my why or how, but it does

edit: but does anyone know if it really uses the bandwidth unless MSIE/updates or anything like that are actually being used?

Comment

:):)

as wuntvor said, xp likes to reserve 20% of the bandwidth to itself...with this tweak, we're taking it back :)

whoever the person was that asked me how i found out about it, i accidentally did it one day, & when i shutdown it went really fast, so i went thru each service to see which had sped it up...turned out it was the nVIDIA Help one...and this service isn't needed so i just left it as manual :)
                At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

Grim Reaper,

It was me who asked about how did you find out about the nVidia process - I had just found this site and hadn't registered yet.

Thanx again for the tweak - XP shuts down in less than 5 seconds now :)

On another XP focused forum, they are saying that if you have not QoS services running (like using XP applications to run SIP VoIP, etc), then this 20% bandwidth reservation is an Urban Myth. From my experience, I have a 1.5M DSL service. I just upgraded from 98se to XP Pro, and I'm still maxing out the pipe at 1.45M downloads - same as in 98se............?

cheers,
                  dagger

Comment

:)...

also, this other forum wouldn't happen to be wxperience would it? also, i haven't actually run tests to see if what they say is true...one of them there probably has, so ill just go along with what he says...:)

also, was it going at 1.45 before or after u did the tweak?
                    At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

Got a question... I have a desktop (P3-600, 256 MB RAM, XP Pro, ZoneAlarm, Norton 2002...), I share the Internet connection on it with a laptop (thru ICS).

The problem is after awhile of using the desktop, it changes to the Windows classic theme, then back to the XP theme (takes less than a sec), when this happens, the laptop's connection to the Internet (and the networked files on the desktop) completely dies! Can't do anything until I reboot the desktop. The laptop then is connected again (Laptop has static IP).

Thanx 4 any help!

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
                        :)...

also, this other forum wouldn't happen to be wxperience would it? also, i haven't actually run tests to see if what they say is true...one of them there probably has, so ill just go along with what he says...:)

[dagger]: I believe it was wxperience forum.

also, was it going at 1.45 before or after u did the tweak?
                        [dagger]: I did not do any tweak (QoS?) - after loading XP and RASPPPOE, I tested throughput and it was the same as when I was running Win98se - and at the max throughput I can get with the 1.5M service. Thus - XP isn't "reserving" any bandwidth I can notice!

Comment

same here dagger, but I still don't like the idea of windows being able to reserve any of my bandwidth :D

Comment

wuntvor - I hear what your saying, but I'll take Window's side on this one IF it is done correctly.

As we all know, the internet protocol, TCP/IP, is a "best effort", variable packet length, connectionless protocol that was optimized for data transport across packet networks. This works fine for file transfers, which is non-mission critical, and non real-time bearer traffic. However, for other applications, like voice and video, these apps can't tolerate much in the way of delay, jitter, etc which cause unacceptable voice or video quality.

So, my limited understanding of what Microsoft has built into XP is applications/mechanisms to provide services beyond current "web browsing" computer services. I heard that, for example, they built in a SIP client, which supports VoIP, as well as many other multimedia services yet to be deployed. Thus, by implementing a "QoS" capability that enables them to allocate bandwidth for high priority services, this will allow these new type of services that can't tolerate say a VoIP packet stuck in a queue behind a large file transfer packet. It is one way IP is trying to accomodate required packet priorities that different services will demand. So, if I were to ever want decent VoIP service over my data connection using a SIP client on my PC while I'm using it to do file transfers/web page downloads, etc simultaneously, then I will need some sort of Quality of Service prioritization mechanism on my PC. If done correctly, XP's QoS feature may be of real value.

cheers,
                            dagger

Comment

hmm, interesting poing, I hadn't even thought of that. Nice explanation of what exactly you meant too :thumb:

if/when I ever get into video streaming or whatever, I'll test it out and see IF it is done right ;)

Comment

Thanks for these Tweaks dude, they are heaps good.. I was just wondering though.. how do you find out that sort of stuff? did you just find it on the web somewhere? or what... :confused:

Comment

Working...
                                X