Connecting thru network error, slow shutdown fix, XP Tweaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

------------------------------------------------------
    Got a question... I have a desktop (P3-600, 256 MB RAM, XP Pro, ZoneAlarm, Norton 2002...), I share the Internet connection on it with a laptop (thru ICS).

The problem is after awhile of using the desktop, it changes to the Windows classic theme, then back to the XP theme (takes less than a sec), when this happens, the laptop's connection to the Internet (and the networked files on the desktop) completely dies! Can't do anything until I reboot the desktop. The laptop then is connected again (Laptop has static IP).
    ----------------------------------------------------

I've been having the same problem as this guy, my server keeps switching themes & my other PC (WinME, soon to be XP :D) is diconnected from the network... could it be XP Plus? (I installed it & then uninstalled it cos' there isn't much to it, just games & themes...) :rolleyes:

Btw, that tweak abt deleting the registry key (Scheduled tasks crap) is a godsend!:D :D :D

Comment

Originally posted by ByRN
      Thanks for these Tweaks dude, they are heaps good.. I was just wondering though.. how do you find out that sort of stuff? did you just find it on the web somewhere? or what... :confused:
      lots of previous windows tweaking and www.tweakxp.com has alot of tweaks on it :)

Comment

I tried to follow the instructions but when I open admin tools, I don't see any kind of security tab.

Comment

you guys are amazing, i went to the win xp tweaking guide on youre site(not forum) did almost everything, both guides, that broadband tweaking guide and i must say you people can tweak, i got the devilsown xp, standard it was about 35-40 secs boot time, now i got 4 secs...shutdown speed of 8 secs...really amazing

keep up the splendid work guys!!

greetz,

D :flames:

Comment

Good Job Grim Reaper.. now can ya figure out my dillema in the post below it no why my XP is locking up on startup?? Wonder if I can edit my registry in the XP partition from running Window ME from another partition?? Hmmmm..

Thanks for the advice!!

My big eared cat thanks ya as well! ROFL

Comment

Originally posted by wuntvor

lots of previous windows tweaking and www.tweakxp.com has alot of tweaks on it :)
              Aside from that, you can find them if you go looking for them... :)
              Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
              Managing Director
              Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Ive been trying to use the tweak for the local security fix in XP, but I cannot find a Local security settings in the Administation tools.I am getting a "You do not have acess rights" when trying to print on another computer. How do I get the local security settings icons in Admin tools? Thanks

Comment

You need to be logged in as Administrator or with Administator rights.
                  Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                  Managing Director
                  Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I have tried log in under administrator with safe mode and it still doesn't show up.The name I usually log in under has computer administrator under it in the user accounts menu in the control panel to, and when I log in under this name the local security icon in Admin tools still doesn't show up.Help??

Comment

I disagree with what microsoft said about reserving

bandwidth for streaming intensive apps or games.

For an example, I'll use the game Counter-Strike.

When microsoft reserves the 20% bandwidth my ping on

Counter-Strike will be around 60(that's normal).

But there is a catch here, my choke and loss were an amazing

50-80 loss and choke, I couldn't play anyway. With the tweak,

my ping jumps to 200 but I could still play CS. So in conclusion,

despite Microsoft's comment on TCP/IP and how inefficient it is

at streaming, the QoS still does not offer the solution to the

problem.

Comment

i'm guessing your on cable, since you get a ping of 60, in CS type in the console "rate 99999" (without quotation marks, of course) or however many 9s you see fit :) thats should help you with your choke
                        TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

thanks for the feed back...tell us how andy's fix goes...

also ive added a new fix to the first post...about enabling APM in Power Options in control panel...it seems to help a few ppl with the problem around here, i didn't realise itd actually work all that often when i posted, LOL :)
                          At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

for the right place it's HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion-> Explorer -> -> Remote Computer -> Name Space......

U missed the CurrentVersion bit out
                            :afro:

Comment

I have a probem. With windows xp when i choose to repair my internet connection i sget the following error: The following steps of he repair option failed : Purging the DNS Resolver cache

Any ideas??

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
                                Firstly ill cover the networking error, this works the majority of the time but if not then start another thread & we will try & help u out...

Goto Control Panel & set it back to Classic View
                                Open Admin Tools
                                Open Local Security Policy
                                Expand the Local Policies tab
                                Select the User Rights Assignments
                                On the right-hand side find the key "Deny access to this computer from the network"...if guest is in here then remove it
                                Now find "Access this computer from the network" key & add Guest in here...if Everyone isn't in here then add it too.

when you install XP it doesn't enable the guest account for security reasons...sometimes even when you do enable this it still happens...

Now for the faster shutdown which has worked every time that ive seen...

Open up REGEDIT and goto "HKCURRENTUSER\Control Panel\Desktop\" and set the key "HungAppTimeout" to 5000(which is default) and make "WaitToKillAppTimeout"
                                4000 (20000 is default).

Also, go to "HKLOCALMACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\" and set the key "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" to 4000 too. That should make the shutdown complete in 4 secs.

Hope this all works!!! :thumb: :)

Edit: here is another tweak that i thought waz highly necessary...if you are trying to access another computer thru the network & it takes forever to load their files then this is what you need to do! open up regedit & goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Explorer -> -> Remote Computer -> Name Space...
                                Remove the {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} folder...

also another one...if you have QoS Packet Scheduler enabled then goto Run type in gpedit.msc....now expand the "local computer policy" branch...expand the "administrative templates" branch in the Computer Configuration branch...expand the "network branch"..select the QoS Packet Scheduler branch...now in the right window double click the limit reservable bandwidth key...Enable this & change where it says Bandwidth limit % from 20 to 0...XP seems to want to reserve 20% of the bandwidth for itself...so if you try & download a big file then it'll download faster a lot faster now & make your computer gernerally faster...

my system won't shutdown because i haven't got ACPI installed (im assuming because i didn't install it at setup) which (only a theory, nothing can prove it unless i do a few reinstalls) that when ACPI isn't installed you don't have the APM tab in Power Options in control panel...so if you have APM tab in Power Options found in control panel, try enabling that and give it a go...

tell me how all of these go :) :thumb:
                                btw, keep on checkin this thread for more tweaks...

Edited 15th of April, added power off fix...
                                :bounce:
                                Hey Grim, i am lost after "open local security policy" on your first quote. thanks :bounce:

Comment

Working...
                                X