Which Linux is for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which Linux is for me?

Hi, guys, n00bie here, thanks for all the good info, and sorry for butting into your thread like this.
    My regular PC is a p4 2.8 running xp pro but I also have a couple of ooold systems that are still somewhat functional: a p1 133 and a a p2 266.
    The p2 sys has 128mb ram, and is currently running win98se, but I'm thinking of installing slackware or some other flavor of linux on it. I never tried installing xp on it.
    Eventually if I can get it running slackware, I might switch to slackware on my p4 as well. Or is that just a waste of time?
    J Browne

Comment

I'd agree with going for Ubuntu. It's easy to use GUI makes it very friendly for the first time Linux user. and the newer versions have a very easy to use setup, just boot from the live CD and run the installers and sit back and play the games on the disc for familiarize yourself with the new surroundings. It also is very easy to find support for it if you run into something that you don't know or can't figure out.

Comment

Suse has one advantage over the rest - its supported/implemented by Novell, so if your thinking of an it career - suse is the one to go for
        http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Indeed, SUSE is owned entirely by Novell and is about the most common commercially-used Linux, right next to the similar Redhat/Fedora. Ubuntu and Slackware seem to be really popular among enthusiasts, but for actual IT use SUSE is the way to go. When I finally get around to forcing myself to use Linux (beyond Smoothwall and Knoppix, that is), I'll be teaching myself entirely Suse.

For actually using it, I'd probably be trying out Ubuntu as that's what everyone seems to like.

Comment

Ubuntu is a good distro for beginners, yet is very powerful if you go behind the scenes, at it were. Also, one of the major good things about Ubuntu (or Kubuntu, or Xubuntu, etc.) is that you can order the CDs and they get delivered for free. Nice if you don't have a fast connection, or if your ISP has some rather restrictive download limits. My two cents. (And apologies for dredging this thread back from the dead.)

Comment

<3 backtrack2

Comment

I would recommend Ubuntu - first installed a few months ago and 90% of the time it has been awesome. I am currently still trying it out and used Wubi Wubi - Ubuntu Installer for Windows to install it on my Vista machine to try it out. Has been great.

Comment

first get your footing first and actually have the joy of linux working on your computer before being ambitious and try a distribution that requires a lot of configuration.

Ubuntu and Mint are definitely ones you should try. Pardus, Mandriva, openSuse and Fedora aren't bad to try afterward either.

Comment

Working...
                  X