Upgrading from an 1800+ to a 2500+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from an 1800+ to a 2500+

I have 512mb DDR333 (Probably soon to be 1Gb DDR333).
    I will upgrade my video card to a 9700 Pro (or AIW 9700 Pro).
    My mobo supports Barton CPU's and the 333Mhz FSB.
    If I were to upgrade my CPU from an 1800+ (Palomino) to a 2500+ (Barton), what kind of performance increase should I see from the CPU upgrade ?
    SPAM Special Ops

maybe 35%+- in synthetic benchmarks. real world will appear to be a little zippier. i would over clock the 1800 and save $$. it would appear to be the same speed. not many games or apps will benefit from the speed differential.

Comment

I just went from a 1.4 Ghtz T-Bird (.18 micron) to a 2.0 Ghtz T-Bred (2400+) (.13 micron) (all 266 fsb)

I saw a 32% increase in processor only benchmarks, and I would say you will see a 15-25% increase.

I was dissapointed, I was expecting more.

So, is it worth it... maybe... I had an immediate use for my old processor and so I had a need to buy a new on anyways. In that light, it was worth it.

Comment

Maybe I'll wait until the 3000+ drops in price.
        SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Thanks for the info !
          SPAM Special Ops

Comment

I upgraded from athlon 1.4 to barton xp2500+
            It is really easy to oc to xp3200 if u have a good
            motherboard. From the xp3200 specs, there was a
            big difference in real performance, not only benchmarks.

Comment

Just wait until AMD realeases the all new processor....with a different socket..mind you ....a new mobo will be needed.
              - Damien

Comment

I would actually just overclock the 1800 to 2500+ speeds (2060 MHz for T-Bred, 133*15.5) I used thisand buy the 9700 righ now to see the biggest proformance increase
                <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Comment

Now why did ya have to do that for when the 1800 T'bred I have is easily runnin' 12 x 166MHz for 2GHz (the extra FSB steppin' is better value)? :confused:

Comment

Wiggo,

Here is my system info:

A7V8X Bios ver. 1014
                    1800+
                    2x256mg Pc2700
                    60 gig WD
                    40 gig Maxtor
                    Geforce 4 Ti4200

I am wondering what the best setting would be to overclock it.
                    I have a new system coming and want to mess around with this one.
                    I also have an overclocking book coming so I will ask less and read more!

Just wondering if you can give me some stable setting to start out with.

Thanks,
                    Chez

Cool ass link, I am going to try it out now!!!

Comment

looking at my system specs, could I saftley overclock my 1800 to 2500 speeds?

I've been looking into upgrading since the prices have been dropping, but maybe i'll give oc'ing a try.

(haven't attempted oc'ing yet...seems scary to me if I screw up...but now, since the 1800's are only like $50, it's not that big of a loss if I burn mine up)

Comment

chezman I'm a little confused with the specs as ASUS state only 200/266DDR FSB support for that KT400 mobo of your's which is strange to me but is that XP1800+ of ya's a Thoroughbred core or Palamino? On any other modern setup with a T'bred I'd say to up ya memory and core voltages 0.1v (the mobo has a jumper for over voltage so ya'll have to enable this) then start at 9x166MHz and then step up the multiplier till ya find the limiit there, then work on the FSB (by the specs though I'm not sure that ya can pull this off). :confused:

Malabooboo is your XP1800+ a Palamino or Thoroughbred? As ya mobo is a KT333 it's likely ya'll have to unlock the CPU 1st before ya can work the multiplier but upping the FSB to 140-145MHz with the core and memory voltages upped 0.1v shouldn't be a prob for ya step up though gettin' a higher FSB may need ya to bring ya memory speed back to that of the FSB.

keep a close watch on ya temps

Comment

Already took care of her wiggo. She's runnin' at 1740. I unlocked it, shimmed it, lagged it, booted it up, set the mult. at 12 and the fsb at 145. Nice and stable for the last day and a half. On generic ram none the less.
                          I got edumacated...
                          I read a lot on the net, plus I bought the overclocking book. The book didn't do much help. But when I get around to reading it, I want to make sure I have all the backround when it comes to intel and stuff. I have always been a AMD guy.
                          I am still building my machine below...it will be fun to see how it OC's. It sure looks nice right now though. I love the 3 window case with all the goodies I got inside.

Chez

Temps are still running the same 30/28 38/37
                          I am gonna drop the mult. and see how far I can run the bus for fun. The ram is some generic 2700 dual channel. I haven't messed with the volts yet. Although there isn't a jumper. Just change it in the bios, I was already messing around with it earlier.

Comment

I just tried changing the FSB to 166 with the same mult. 12 and it wouldn't post. I dropped it down to 11, and still wouldn't.
                            Seems like all it likes is 12 at 145, with Dram 396.
                            At least from what I've tried.

Chez

Comment

is there any easy way to tell between a palomino and a thoroughbred without getting into the guts?

i also don't have special overclocking memory, just regular samsung pc 3200 I got from a computer show...

Comment

Working...
                              X