No announcement yet.

Upgrading from an 1800+ to a 2500+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great, thanks for the advice, chezman--i think maybe i'll go ahead and buy the kit

Comment

It will save you a headache and a fried chip if you mess it up. 1st you tape off the top 5 metal tips, and the 5 lower with the tape stuff they provide. So it just leaves the lazer gaps in the middle(so you don't get glue on the metal tips) Then you put the chip on a table with the magnifying glass setup with its stand, You dip the needle in the glue stuff, dab it perpendicular in the lazer gap, it fills it perfectly. Let it dry, pull the tape off. put a little c.grease on the tip of the needle and look through the glass, dab it on the round metal top bridge, then dab a little on the bottom bridge, then just pull the needle straight across to connect them. Then on to the next one. Double check your work, make sure there aren't any that are connected to the one next to it. And viola, your chip is unlocked. The grease stuff never really dries, so don't touch it. And if you buy a shim, buy it from them otherwise the standard shims will cover the L1 area, thereby connecting all your bridges and shorting it. Their shim is made so That area is left untouched by the shim. It also makes sure you don't accidentally smear the c. grease when you put the heatsink on.Which personally I can see happening.
      They also recommend using an eraser to clean the area up as pre-prep to clean off anything from post production and stuff. Andd to make sure you get a good conductivity.

Anyway, sorry for the book. Just thought I would lay it out for ya. Its pretty easy, and fun. The shim thing I wanted to add in there for ya, to show that it is worth the extra 8bucks.
      Have fun,
      Chez

I would start out with an overclock of (multiplyer)11x145(FSB) or so. It seems to be the most stable, and its what the book recommends.

Comment

my other computer has an asus a7n8x--with that board, do I still need to unlock the processor in order to overclock it, or can i just oc it from the bios?

Comment

Out of curiosity what chip do you have in it?

From what I have heard. If you have an nforce board which the N is, the V is the KT400. It unlocks it on its own. Its called an "overclocker friendly board or something like that" from what I have read.
          I don't know cause I haven't got my "newest" system up and running that is listed below. For me, the Barton 2500+ only has one bridge to unlock it anyway, if I have to. But from what I have read, with the barton and the A7N8X, it unlocks it and you can just change stuff in the bios.

Chez

Comment

Yeah the nforce2 boards automatically unlock procs with thouroughbred or newer cores, but if you have a palamino ull still have to unlock it. :cheers:

Comment

the cpu in the a7n8x is a 2000+

...bought it for my wife because we needed a second computer and her old one was a celeron 400 (whoo-hoo). Now, to convince her to trade with me... :rolleyes2

Comment

So now you will be happy you bought the unlocking kit. Ithsa enought to do about 10or more chips.

Anyway, I found this for you.

Should help with unlocking it for ya.

Chez

Comment

Working...
                X