Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kane2g
    hey elrado1
    you can pick up 4 port one for about 50bux on ebay.
    the 6 and 8port versions are a lot more like about 200+
    but im sure to Wiggo its no biggie as he gets them as "test units: for review" right wiggo? Or are you that rich??

Hey cheez, i dont know about the error. Mine installed w/o problems.
    Thanks for the advice Kane. I just picked up the 4 port KVM shwon below from Provantage: http://www.provantage.com/scripts/go...s/fl00net_.htm

It was the least expensive I found using PriceGrabber. http://www.provantage.com/scripts/go...s/fl00net_.htm

And the cables from Newegg. Free shipping :)

BTW, buy the male-to-male cables not the male-female cables, like I did :( Now I havew to pick up some Gender Changers. Oh well.

And, now I have capacity for one more machine on the network. Hmmm...
    :-(

Comment

Here's a SETIWatch shot of my in-house comps, except for My Daughter's 2100+ AMD, which, with its Windows XP, is no longer joining the Win 2000 machines on the network. It has the best performance at 3.5 hours per SETI unit. And that I'm happy about!:)

Comment

HOLY!!!

maybe i should just lie down and pretend to be dead, so he doesn't come after me :eek: ?
        TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
          HOLY!!!

maybe i should just lie down and pretend to be dead, so he doesn't come after me :eek: ?
          Congrats on breaking 250 Andy!

I'll be where you are in about a week and overtake you in under 2.

Don't give up. Every unit counts! :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by elrado1
            Congrats on breaking 250 Andy!

I'll be where you are in about a week and overtake you in under 2.

Don't give up. Every unit counts! :thumb:
            actually you'll hit 250 on march 16th, and overtake him on 21st. :thumb:

Comment

Thanks for the more precise update. I was just remembering the figures I made while at work on Friday. I think we're both in agreement.

How are things in the Windy City? A bit cooler than So. Fla., I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                elrado1[/size]]
                How are things in the Windy City? A bit cooler than So. Fla., I'm sure.
                So cold that he thinks that he's in Poland. :shh:

Comment

Yeah, he had me a bit puzzled there for a while. Maybe he has Polish ancestors. (No offence.)

So, Wiggo, it's mid-day for you. Nice & warm, to I trust.

:)

Comment

I'm Polish, born and raised. Any problems???
                    hehe.
                    BTW here's a pic of mine. Just got it in. I still need a 4 port one.
                    What are the 2 dual cpu systems that you have?? are they like 300 or something??

Comment

• No problem w/ being Polish. I have worked with several in the architectural field during my career. Great people.

The dual cpu machines are based on, quite antiquated, Intel PR440FX mobos, which were designed for the Pentium Pro cpu. An Overdrive PII/333Mhz CPU was eventually manufactured for the Socket 8 motherboards and that is what I have in the two machines I presently have working. (I have a third mobo that may be DOA, but I'm going to give it another try, when I get a chance. It will get 200 MHz PPros, though.)

Link for PR440FX: http://support.intel.com/support/mot...40fx/index.htm

I'll take a pic of one and upload it when I get the chance. There kind of neat.

I got into the PPro machines because the father of a friend of my son gave him 2 NEC computers that had PPro 180's in them. I (we) could not get around the password protected NT os and since my son didn't care about them, I eventually gutted them. No loss really. Then, since I had 2 PPro cpu's I thought I'd put them together in a dual cpu board. I eventually went overboard, learning about and buying this type of system on eBay.

Anyway, after seeing the performance of the AMD 2100+ (my Daughter's machine), which runs at 1.73Ghz and turns a SETI unit in about 3.5 hours, compared to my 1.5GHz P4, which handles one in about 5 hours, I would prefer to build a machine based upon dual AMD machines. I'm sure the AMD devotee's will agree.

Bored, yet? Ok, I'm done for now. :cheers: :cheers:

Comment

• if going dual AMD, i think S2460 by tyan is pretty popular choice. It goes for about 100-150 on ebay. I was looking into it for a Seti cruncher, but I'm a cheap *******, so i went with the KG7 again, which I seem to like a lot (read: I bought all of them for about 40 bucks each). It doesnt have as great overclock as 8rda+, but I rather have 3 of KG7s :)
                        Also since I bought one w. a warranty, if any of them brakes, its going to be replaced. ;)

Comment

• Sounds like good dealings! ;) There is something positive about staying with something you're familiar with. Are your KG7's coming with or without cpu's? What's the speediest cpu they can handle?

:cheers:

Comment

• #1 KG7Raid + 2000xp Palmino.
                            #2 KG7Raid + Xp1700 Tbred B
                            #3 KG7Raid + waiting on another XP1700 B.
                            Just won another auction for KG7Raid, hehe, but i am not going to put it together for about a month or so. paid 25 shipped for mobo, plus a celeron, some modems, NIC, memory some other junk.
                            The #2 is running at 1786 (143x12.5)
                            #1 is running 1724 (138x12.5)
                            I dont need any more. I dont want anything to be over 40C so i dont OC them any more than that.
                            I got Kingston HyperX in #1 and 2, but 3 and 4 will use some PC2700 that i picked up for 20 bucks.
                            1 & 2 use V7+ 3 & 4 will have V9s in them.

BTW 40 bucks only got me the board, but thats w. warranty from Abit, so its all good. I got another one for 35 (i think) for ebay. the #4 was part of a computer stuff lot. and #3 i got for 25 form forums. Hmm, i think i will make a list of everything i got and post it sometime.
                            Also I think that i will play w. water cooling #4, so i dont expect anything for about next 4 weeks, cuz i need money as i spent too much! hehe

Comment

• BTW CheeZ, congrats on hitting the 750 Milestone. :thumb:

Comment

• Thank you, Thank you. The milestone I am about to get now is 800...should be in about 20 minutes here or so....next is 1000....

Comment

Working...
                                X