No announcement yet.

Setting up a business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're serious about this, write out a contract for people to sign so you can avoid a law suit or some other ugly mess if something goes wrong. If you know someone with some legal expertise, you should ask them to help you write it up.

Good Luck!
    :cheers:

Comment

I may be wrong here, but because of his age, I wouldnt bother applying for any kind of permit or license. Also since hes not really going to have inventory or other overhead, not much acounting that needs to be done, but Quickbooks would always help.

As far as contract to sign, I would just go and visit BB or whatever is close by and copy what they have for service contract or disclaimer. :2cents:

BTW this is turning out to be pretty good topic.

Comment

Here's the link for SCORE.

Whether you start a business or not is one thing. Doing a little research on the subject can't hurt. It may help in establishing a goal and place some perspective on the various subjects you'll be studying.

Contracts are never a bad idea. Especially if you are dealing with strangers. I'm not an attorney, so I cannot say if one you enter into will be binding or not, since you are a Minor, but it won't hurt. Of course the "Agreement" you are creating could be as simple as an order form.
        :-(

Comment

I dunno if the following links will help sway some of your Decisions, As I am an Acitve trader on ForSale Forums, and these are my refs.

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
            Okay, Ive decided Im gonna try it. :D Im gonna keep a spreadsheet saved on my computer, and written out, of Customers names etc, and one of Expenses etc. ALSO, Im gonna configure some rigs, and create a form, for people to fill out, that will hlp me in configuring their system.
            Just go with your heart - you can do anything if you put your mind to it, just expect obstacles along the way, the major one will be your age and people not thinking you know anything. I was told this on a regular basis from a very young age and it is something you need to believe in, or before you know it you'll be 40 and getting close to being out of the game - no offence Wiggo, etc.

So to get past this you need to prove you do by building quality, stable systems and solid repairs while giving accurate advice, because people with no computer knowledge take advice from people who do with complete faith. Forgot about your age and get down to business - but keep it small for now and think of it more as an adventure which will give you better business sense and confidence for the future. It won't hurt, it will only do you good for your time when you finish school and get into the big bad world. And hey, you might earn a few dollars while doing it!

Beefy and JA, give the kid some slack and give him some praise for even considering it!

:cheers: : peace2: :thumb:
            Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
            Managing Director
            Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak
              Beefy and JA, give the kid some slack and give him some praise for even considering it!

:cheers: : peace2: :thumb:
              *loosens leash a little*
              *insert praise here*
              :D

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                *loosens leash a little*
                *insert praise here*
                :D
                Thanks Beff Ill be sure be an arshole in all of your threads asking for info. too

Comment

I honestly wish you all the best, but I still think it's a bad idea. It's like supporting someone who's about to buy a TNT2...

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
                    Well I disagree here. They arent buying parts form him, but some other company like BestBuy or newegg, so thats where they would go for warranty. Its not amd_man;s fault if the part fails.
                    but if he is a business and is selling them the parts then they are buying them from him, and he must take care of the warranty. at least with australias consumer law if a business sells you a part and it dies within warranty then that business must make it right, be it a refund, swapover or send the part away to their supplier to be replaced, it makes no difference where the business got the part from, thats not the customers concern.

unless he is sending the customer to bestbuy or whatever to buy the parts, but that would sorta defeat the purpose of setting up a business, if yer got a business then ya can set yerself up with proper channel suppliers and get cheaper prices so he can put his own markup on em.

Comment

Its going to take a fair bit of time up. If something craps itself under warranty then there will be freight costs involved in sending it back. Also downtime for the customer unless you have a replacement part on hand. If it was me i would be sticking to software repairs and reloads etc etc. I built a few systems for people at that age and it was more hassle than what it was worth 2 years down the track and youve spent the cash and have to fork out for it to be returned and then fit it and test in your own time with no money for it.

Cheers

Comment

exactly. thats one of the reasons why my work stopped pushing home made systems and started suggesting full premade packages because in a couple of years time when something dies it can be a huge hassle tryin to find out who we got that part from and if its in warranty or not. we still do home mades if people need it but we wont suggest them, the main systems now are 3 years warranty on everything, much easier.

Comment

I honestly wish you all the best, but I still think it's a bad idea. It's like supporting someone who's about to buy a TNT2...
                          Not necessarily.
                          My hope in this thread is to encourage the boy to only buy the TNT2 because that's all i have talked about. You guys are getting ahead of yourselves in giving him true business direction.

Let him buy the TNT2. Itll give him reason to appreciate the GFFX5900Ultra/R9800Pro* when he can afford it.

* its an analogy, not an invite to argue vid cards

Comment

You've cross-referenced it differently to what I was thinking... but your point is just as valid.

I was talking in regards to my wishing him the best. It's the wish that you didn't really want to do, but the person is so set on the idea that you can't really stop them, so you let them go knowing that they are going to see their mistake later on. In other words, buying that TNT2 and then realising that there's much better out there, if only they had of waited and saved up...

Comment

In other words, buying that TNT2 and then realising that there's much better out there, if only they had of waited and saved up...
                              Geez Beffy, mainly you, Are the only one with the big ass negatve and DONT DO IT, JA is also as wll though.

Seems as if everyone else is like give it a shot, and if it dont work out, its more or less an oh well/little speed bump in success.

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
                                Geez Beffy, mainly you, Are the only one with the big ass negatve and DONT DO IT, JA is also as wll though.

Seems as if everyone else is like give it a shot, and if it dont work out, its more or less an oh well/little speed bump in success.
                                We are giving you better advies by not giving you advise. I really think you should try it, but you need to try it the hard way, in little steps. Going out and talking to people, getting business cards, and doing the real work will forge your abilities and sharpen your talents for use for the rest of your life. Im not just giving you advise by not giving you advise, for computer businesses, but for any endeavor you choose to take on.

Final Advise not given:
                                YOUR TOO YOUNG. If you can overcome that, you can overcome the biggest speed bump of your life, the one called, "You can't"

Comment

Working...
                                X