No announcement yet.

Setting up a business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another problem with bein young and workin out of yer backyard is how do people know yer gonna be there in a coupla years time when their part dies and they need warranty?

Comment

I was thinking this though, If i got the A+ cert. like I mentioned a while back, that would do wonders, in helping ppl trust me, as most ppl love seeing certificates on your walls if your fixing somehing for em.

Comment

Originally posted by mpetrie
        When i was 15 i was writing AOL proggies, and trying to get my highschool to host a MUD that me and my friend Tiffany wrote. It was called Legend of Arina. Anyone ever played?

I remember asking my best friends Dad if he had any books to referance C++, and he told me to wait until i got into College. Man, that was a big hit... He diddnt even try to encourage me to program.

So that weekend i went to a computer show with that girl i mentioned earlier, and we stole like ten programming manuals.

Ended up writing "Legend of Arina" with C++ and using VB to create a front end. It was a pretty sweet game until the System Administrator of our highschool found out that afterschool (we were tech staff) we had been hosting the game from the school webserver.

;) Never give up man!!!
        Once again, NOT A BUSINESS. Nice story though. ;) But thins like programming and making websites are cheap and easy to do on your own. Businesses aren't. Am I the only one seeing that?

Comment

Beefy, What I dont think your seeing, is how small of a scale this is gonna be, pretty a little rinky-dink repair shop that does kickass work :D, for cheap. And the way I see it is this, my Dad is a strict person, so If I guaranee something, he'll be damn sure I fulfill that guarantee. I laos see this, It wont be a big loss if it dont work out, BUT, if it does, I could have something good going on before I ever graduate HS.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdkiller
            another problem with bein young and workin out of yer backyard is how do people know yer gonna be there in a coupla years time when their part dies and they need warranty?
            Well I disagree here. They arent buying parts form him, but some other company like BestBuy or newegg, so thats where they would go for warranty. Its not amd_man;s fault if the part fails.

Comment

IMO give it ago and see what happens but try and cover your ass so if something goes wrong you'll be ok ;)
              I was planning on starting a business as well (I'm 13) and i was gonna be a computer reseller. i live in a city of a bout 70,000 people so not that many. i dont wanna make a lot of money so i can undercut all other local places Harvey Norman, Chandlers, etc etc but i'd need the rep
              im not sure if this is evergoing to happen but its just an idea.

Be Creative!!!

The Evolved One

Comment

13 is pretty young to be starting a business.. Hell its young to be in these forums... I think i was still playing with GI Joes at 13...

You guys gotta chill out a bit, theres plenty of time to break someones computer and end up with a lawsuit. Maybe you should wait another couple of years before you trust someone elses money in your hands...its a big liability.

Keep learning about computers but stick to mowing lawns on the weekend for now. The certifications also help you look good. Plus, how much could you really know about them if your only 13 anyways.. Im sure you have a long ways to go.

Im not saying to give up, but theres no need to rush right into things.

: party ha

Comment

IT WOULD BE A GREAT THING TO SEE YOU PROVE ME AND BEEFY WRONG

Comment

Your on!

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
                      Your on!
                      Hehehe... that's funny in more ways than one...

Comment

Your on -
                        You're on.

Comment

So anyhow, tossing the thoughts of age out the windows. How would one that was old enough start up a computer business? Im sure that coming up with a really cool business card would do a great deal of good, but lets talk about numbers.

How much would it cost to start up a hack shop business? Say you had a friend to help you with it. Would you need to rent out office space or could it be done from home? Would an accountant need to be hired? or can the books be kept by the owner?

Lets talk about more than just the guys age that started the post. I hope i can speak for more than myself on the issue that this is an interesting thread. But please, elaborate. What are the prerequisites? This sort of info would be pretty helpful coming from ones who have tried and succeded.

Comment

Okay, Ive decided Im gonna try it. :D Im gonna keep a spreadsheet saved on my computer, and written out, of Customers names etc, and one of Expenses etc. ALSO, Im gonna configure some rigs, and create a form, for people to fill out, that will hlp me in configuring their system.

Comment

To start a business, you just need to obtain an Occupational License (or whatever they are called in your municipality). The kicker is that you probably cannot use your home address for the address of the business, unless it is zoned for business. To get around that issue, you might consider a Post Office Box, which will be your mailing address. You may even have a friend or relative with a business of their own who will allow you to use their business address. If you need telephone answering services as well as a business address there may be businesses in your community that provide such services for a fee of course.

All of the above takes $, so avoid that unless it becomes absolutely necessary. The business card or word-of-mouth route is the best way to get started. If things start to take off, then you can look into the other stuff.

Although I've never done so, the organization SCORE is available for consulting on starting a business.

Remember to concentrate on your school work first. Try to enjoy it. You'll have the whole rest of your life to work. Good luck. :)
                              :-(

Comment

Originally posted by elrado1
                                Remember to concentrate on your school work first. Try to enjoy it. You'll have the whole rest of your life to work. Good luck. :)
                                School work, enjoy. :rofl: As for work the rest of your life, I know, and thats why I'm trying to get a head start on things, becuase it could pay off in the long run. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X