Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should I replace my G4 fan? (Warning: Gone Feral)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what my friend is thinking about doing, not ME. somebody else!
    my friend says"
    Thanks a lot for your help, So what I gathered is that My card is definetly broke, I am an incompetent fool who should have never done this job, and that the best way to get a replacement would be to buy a brand new one from local store and replace it with the one thats broke take it back and be like WTF! I spent a ton of money on this card I want a new one, wait I dont even want MSI anymore, they are garbage, I just want my cash back. Only problem is makeing the card look like it did origionally and also the serial number on the card wont match the one that I bought.
    Now as for the makeing the card look stock, I used artic silver on the fan and ram sinks thank god i didnot use those pads! So I should be able to just wipe of the artic silver and put some white thermal paste on the processor so it looks like it did origiinaly. But what about the serial #? Maybe they wont check? Thanks again.
    -anonymous person"
    my view on the two party system...

Comment

my guess (don't hold me to this) is the store won't check that closely

but wait, why don't the serial numbers match?

Comment

Originally posted by dryadsoul
        Right Fu**ng on NEgomike.
        best advice have heard that didn't come from either Mr.C,Mr.Tweak or Wiggo.
        And ditto back at ya on that new sig
        :eek: : peace2:
        Dryadsoul you have truly made my day, I think that is one of the greatest compliments one could receive from a member of this forum. (***Line removed due to stupidity of content***)

I am just glad that one of my posts was helpful/useful. And again thank the holy triumvirate, who have been named, for answering all my dumb-dumb questions.

And I am being serious that I feel *very* complimented by that statement.

Originally posted by ZeAliOuS
        This is what my friend is thinking about doing, not ME. somebody else!
        my friend says"
        Wait, I thought this was a hypothetical question that was put to you by a friend about a hypothetical friend about a hypothetical situation. ;)

[B] I gathered is that My card is definitely broke
        I don't know and I have little to no knowledge about these things. Hopefully someone else here could answer that.

I would suggest trying what Dryadsoul recommended, it sound good, but remember he knows more than I. Just whatever you do keep an eye and being able to return it to as close as possible to its original form.

[B]I am an incompetent fool who should have never done this job
        I not an authority on this subject but I would say if you can get a mistake or possible mistake replaced at little or no cost then there is no such think as one being incompetent or foolish to attempt a mod. How else will one learn.

[B]
        [B]I used artic silver on the fan and ram sinks thank god i did not use those pads!
        [B]So I should be able to just wipe of the artic silver and put some white thermal paste on the processor so it looks like it did originally.
        Yup. :D
        :cheers:

Comment

ummmm...i put those pads on...can they be taken off easily? use artic silver thermal adhesive, right? man, it's expensive for something I won't use much.

Comment

Originally posted by Malabooboo
            ummmm...i put those pads on...can they be taken off easily? use artic silver thermal adhesive, right? man, it's expensive for something I won't use much.
            Now remember, I am truly a newbie, I have yet to build my own comp.
            So everything I say should be taken as a high sodium diet. Most of what I say is repeating stuff that other people wrote or my interpretation there of.

EDIT: though I have spent a bit of time inside assort comps and laptops so I;m not completely useless. Just mostly. ;D

But I read somewhere on how to do it. I think it was in a Zalman VPU H80a heat pipe cooler review somewhere. And the card they used, I think a GF4 Ti4200 128, came with thermal pads for the HSF. So they covered how to remove the.

I'm late so I can't track the article down now.

Got to be in the city by 3 and it's 2:15 and I haven't had a shower!:bounce:

I also read somewhere that it is a waste of time to put ram heat sinks on only one side of RAM that one should have it on both side. Anyone care to comment.

I think I read it here: http://www.envynews.com/phpBB2/viewt...?p=11257#11257

Sorry no time to spell/grammar check. Please excuse.

Comment

Thanks NEGO and Malab. Hypotheticly, that is a great plan with the" Oh I was looking to get a replacment for my card but I changed my mind and decided on a albatron, I must have put the wrong card in the box, sorry" That is perfect, Hypotheticaly ofcourse. Yeah I myself dont understand how they ram sinks stay on with just that artic silver, I did it because I read that artic silver is way better than those pads, but they do move around a little bit, And I am confused about how much to use, I read that u should use as little as possible but how if you are trying to pervent imperfections in the surface. I am a newb to this hard core hardware modification Over clocking thing. I was a little rough with the card when i was trying to get that damn fan connector off. I didnt know videocards were THAT sensitive. But I have learned my lesson.
              Malaboo you should definetly get some of the artic silver, from what I have been told its almost pointless to use those pads.
              my view on the two party system...

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by negomike
                [B]Dryadsoul you have truly made my day, I think that is one of the greatest compliments one could receive from a member of this forum. (Yes, I'm also kissing bum ;)

I am just glad that one of my posts was helpful/useful.

Just stating facts as i know them, and giving props when/wherever they're due; not suckin' ass as haven't got the time to whipe the shyte off my face. And Nego, check my join
                date..........no more than 3 weeks ahead of you. Have been
                building computers since 1980.....were talkin' Apple II e's &
                yes, i still own one....lol..kid's under 2 love it.And although
                i finnished highest in graduating class NWTech Inst.....i've learned
                far more about computer technology from both hands on Doing
                and the forums here & other Tweaker/OC sites.
                When it comes to Knowledge, if one Doesn't Know than One Ask or One NEVER knows. Only fools fein pretense for fear of appearing stupid, which is in my estimation the Stupidest.
                As attitude is lattitude.........if your minds in the ****ter guess what ya can expect from your life??? more shyte.......
                :eek: gotta run as have two auto's,three guitars
                and several pc's to heal before this day is my own.
                Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

Comment

Originally posted by negomike
                  [B]Dryadsoul you have truly made my day, I think that is one of the greatest compliments one could receive from a member of this forum. (Yes, I'm also kissing bum)
                  Originally posted by dryadsoul
                  Just stating facts as i know them, and giving props when/wherever they're due; not suckin' ass as haven't got the time to whipe the shyte off my face.

Comment

[i]Originally posted by negomike [/
                    Thank you for the compliment and I am sorry.
                    Negomike; Stop right there as I am apparently the one with an appology to make.
                    Case in point:since first posting on this forum
                    i have been totally mis-Understood and or mis-represented not only by others,but, by the mis-interpratation of the facts which i
                    personally intended to, and thought i had, clearly stated. As a
                    direct result of said misunderstandings, i no longer use whatever
                    version of shorthand might make these communiques easier for most to wade through.........as many seek only instant gratification;and are unwilling/incapable of patience required to
                    reach an intelligent translation of words/phrases expressed here.

Having said that, know that i am anything But,and i stress BUT,
                    unwilling to communicate at any and or All levels of education/intellect....unfortuanately,being raised in Los Angeles
                    and having been gifted by the Gawds with an high I.Q...........
                    I do not tolerate stupidity/blatant ignorance well. I am the first to speak out against untruths/speak up for those being wronged...............this is one of my many human weakness's.
                    but ,as i choose to live by the virtues i hold sacred, my judgement is ruled by my values/morals.........which can become a hassle
                    when living soley by my Zero tolerance law.....when dealing with others of the same species.....I.E.:others humans.
                    So,please understand and in our future inter-relations, feel more than free to PM me if in doubt/question as to my intention/meaning.
                    For i have as much, if not more, respect for your opinion as you may have for mine. And the very first time,Ever, i posted here......
                    was also my virgin-first time- post on ANY Forum in existance.
                    And you were the first & only one to respond to said post.
                    So without further adou, i bid you and all, a long and healthy
                    correspondence on this.....my favorite/truley loved Forum.
                    Thanks to all concerned for your valued time/patience.
                    : peace2: :cheers:
                    Sorry,but, this is as brief a statement as i am capable of making
                    on this issue.......Thanks once again...... :D

Comment

Hey see? You guys can work these things out without me here. ;)

But really some of ya's need to study this page (I'll soon know who doesn't). :devil win
                      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Please see post directly above!!!!!

Thanks Wiggo, just tryng to do that thing we are all attempting
                        to do............Communicate/be understood...........glad that is an
                        excepted behaviour here on TT...........else I'd have been long gone.............
                        by the way Wiggo do you have any Beer Brewing Recipes
                        that you'ld willingly share with those of us less fortunate beer
                        drinkers?????? : peace2: :cheers:
                        More than willing to pay $$$ for righteous Stout recp.???:shoot2:

Comment

Sorry about the recipes but I use a pre-made lager wort here and just add dextrose and powered corn syrup to suit me (dry lager @ 6.2% alc/vol). :devil:

I have been known on the odd occassion to do a 9.2 though :devil win
                          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                            But really some of ya's need to study this page (I'll soon know who doesn't).

Comment

Originally posted by ZeAliOuS
                              Yeah I myself dont understand how they ram sinks stay on with just that artic silver, I did it because I read that artic silver is way better than those pads, but they do move around a little bit, And I am confused about how much to use, I read that u should use as little as possible but how if you are trying to pervent imperfections in the surface.
                              Malaboo you should definetly get some of the artic silver, from what I have been told its almost pointless to use those pads.
                              Actually, I believe thermal epoxy is the product to use when you need to stick a heatsink onto a chip with not attaching mechanism.

Arctic Silver Adhesive-( Premium Silver Thermal Epoxy, Silver-Based )here at Newegg
                              [B]Thanks NEGO and Malab. Hypotheticly, that is a great plan with the" Oh I was looking to get a replacment for my card but I changed my mind and decided on a albatron, I must have put the wrong card in the box, sorry" That is perfect, Hypotheticaly ofcourse.
                              [B]I am a newb to this hard core hardware modification Over clocking thing. I was a little rough with the card when i was trying to get that damn fan connector off. I didnt know videocards were THAT sensitive. But I have learned my lesson.
                              Hey, at this point you have far more experience than me. I've just read a bit. ;)
                              Uh, just checking, was the fan connection soldered on or was it a socket?

What I would give not to post something and then notice all the mistakes, and then have it take ten tries before I save it and not notice anymore mistakes.

Comment

:o 9.2% Yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaa dat would
                                put kink in even a canucks tail........as they do 8.0%
                                it'ld work well if ya didn't plan on both drinkin' & walkin':confused:

Comment

Working...
                                X