Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Games out utilise 256mb of onboard ram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Games out utilise 256mb of onboard ram?

HI trying to decide between a 9600xt 128mb or a 256mb.What games use more than 128mb thanx. And if the 256mb is slower than the 128 whats the upside of getting a 256mb?
    thanx

P.S.im in aus cant afford 9700or 9800 so dont say get 9700 or 9800 coz here there heaps more expensive.

Right now the 256mb really shows little benefit, although if you can afford it I would definately get it as it will benefit in the future

Comment

Having done a fair bit of research on video cards lately (esp. the 9600xt) it appears that most companies seem to be using slower RAM on the 256 version than the 128 versions. Although it is true that future games may be able to use the larger RAM specs at this time it makes very little difference. From what I see the clock speeds and actual RAM speeds make far more difference than the amout of RAM. If you are willing to look at Nvidia cards you may also want to price out the 5700 ultra card as it is pretty much the equal of the 9600 XT in performance and can be found for simular prices.
      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Okay this has been fairly widely debated, and I'm pretty sure that on the 9600XT the 256mb version isn't any slower.

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
          Okay this has been fairly widely debated, and I'm pretty sure that on the 9600XT the 256mb version isn't any slower.
          On ATi's it isn't but on other brands it can be.

Comment

Do u know what brands so i can avoid them. Also i heard doom3 and hl2 use more than 128mb of onboard ram is this true.
            thanx.

Comment

Originally posted by Degsk3
              Do u know what brands so i can avoid them. Also i heard doom3 and hl2 use more than 128mb of onboard ram is this true.
              thanx.
              I don't remember which ones off hand so checkin' out their website spec's and reviews should help ya out there but yes future games will make use of more than 128MB just like they have for each step up in video memory size in the past.

Comment

The Call of Duty manual talks about only seting character models to extra if you have 256mb of video ram. However I have a 9700pro with 128mb ans I set it to extra with no problems. Call of Duty is the only game i've heard of mentioning 256mb of video ram. Maybe FarCry, don't know

Comment

Doom3 probably will benefit as well.

Comment

By the time Doom3 comes out, everyone will be running 512MB video cards!

Comment

Working...
                    X