GeForce 3 Ti500, what am I loosing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sweet
    well, playing is 1 thing, but im interested in KILLING EVERYBODY on the level...
    Oh, even with a GF2, this guy is probably one of the better gamers I've seen in my life. He's got this uncanny knack to be able to kill in FPS games. In CoD and BF he's always in the top 5 every game...

A video card will only do so much in gaming. :) It can't replace natural talent.

Comment

Well, I used to have my Old GF2MX in this *reminisces*, but after Ghost Recon I switched to UT2003 and it simple would not play. Like 800x600 w/ no goodies on. You couldn't see a thing. Now with my Ti4200 I cranked the rez up to 1280x960 w/ FSAA (Quincunx) and all the goodies on and I'm in the top 3 every match, usually #1. It helped me alot. But then, on not so graphics intense games like BF, it probably wouldnt :shrug: . : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
        Yes upgrade to XP as the modern memory requirement will likely cause probs for 98 and specifically get the Pro version or ya won't be able to use the hyperthreading technology offered by that system for better performance but ya can stick with that video card till ya ready for something else.
        i have xp home and a 2.4c. my hyperthreading is useless? explain that to me please youve gone and confused me:confused:

Comment

OK someone can correct me if I'm wrong here (I only use pro anyway), but hyperthreading makes the CPU act like two but the home version only supports 1 CPU where as the pro version is multi CPU capable (plus with even more features).

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
            OK someone can correct me if I'm wrong here (I only use pro anyway), but hyperthreading makes the CPU act like two but the home version only supports 1 CPU where as the pro version is multi CPU capable (plus with even more features).
            As far as I know, that's about it. Plus HT isn't really of much benefit in software unless the software has some kind of support for it. Which is why it's good for professional editing and the like, but not really a lot else.

Comment

Originally posted by rugbydude
              ...cut...
              So my advice is to save up for the 9600 pro of even better the 9600 xt. The best make by far is the hercules as it is the nicest looking card with the best sofware package (comes with some games) and great cooling. :thumb:
              ^^^ above quote is from another thread :p

hey rugbydude,

i finally built my machine only to zap the old video card

so now i am forced to buy a new card. too many selections!

I saw an ASUS 9600 XT make for $199 at essencompu.com - which might be the best thing for my ASUS P4P800 mb... wad ya' think?

My New Machine's Specs:
              --------------------------------

Windows XP Pro
              ASUS P4P800 w/800 FSB
              Intel P4 3.00 GHz (haven't tried the oc yet: +30% oc?... wow!)
              Corsair Twin XMS 512MB DDR (=1 GB) :bounce: :bounce2:
              2 - Seagate 80 GB S-ATA configured as 1 RAID0 160 GB HD
              - no video card now - :grr:
              - sweet

Comment

Well, you can get an OEM Ati 9600XT for $162 here . Given you'll need to add some RAM sinks and probably a better VPU cooler if you want to o/c it, that's still pretty cheap.

Comment

Beware the OEM however. :) Most retail boxes of the 9600/9800 xt come with Half-Life2 voucher. Thats 50 bucks on that piece of paper. And you're nuts if you're not planning on buying the game anyway (unless you dont like FPS, some people dont). So if you bought a 200 dollar card, got a 50 dollar game you were going to buy anyway (when it comes out in quarter 4 of 2032 ;) ) you would only be spending 150 in the long run, thats my thikning however. If you own stock in Valve and will get the game anyway, than OEM would be the way to go.

189 US over at Newegg for the ATI refrence retail

Comment

Originally posted by Fatguy3
                    Beware the OEM however. :) Most retail boxes of the 9600/9800 xt come with Half-Life2 voucher. Thats 50 bucks on that piece of paper. And you're nuts if you're not planning on buying the game anyway (unless you dont like FPS, some people dont). So if you bought a 200 dollar card, got a 50 dollar game you were going to buy anyway (when it comes out in quarter 4 of 2032 ;) ) you would only be spending 150 in the long run, thats my thikning however. If you own stock in Valve and will get the game anyway, than OEM would be the way to go.

189 US over at Newegg for the ATI refrence retail

I went ahead and bought the ASUS Radeon 9600XT. It took the least effort to install of any hardware I ever installed on any machine. ...I couldn't wait for all the replies. I even asked ASUS but they take a long time to reply. (One techie said they sell a million mb's a month! yeow!)

So I went to essencompu.com (locally :)) and when I picked it up (paid a $4 pickup fee... say wha'???) I *THEN* saw that I was getting HALF-LIFE 2 FOR FREE!!! man was i happy!

Now if only Oct. 2032 wil hurry up and arrive ... :wow:

My Final Specs:
                    -----------------------
                    Windows XP Pro
                    ASUS P4P800 w/800 FSB
                    Corsair Twin XMS 512MB DDR (=1 GB)
                    ASUS Radeon 9600XT
                    SoundMax (onboard) sound "card." (Maybe I'll get the SB Audigy 2.)
                    460W PSU
                    Lian-Li PC-61 case

i call it "sweet" :thumb: :laugh: :thumb:
                    - sweet

Comment

The ASUS Series of Radeon cards lists the 9800XT, the 9600XT, and then the 9200XT. So in case you were wondering what ASUS said or if the 9600 *is* the midrange card - yes, it is... sweet! :)

My Final Specs:
                      -----------------------
                      Windows XP Pro
                      ASUS P4P800 w/800 FSB
                      Corsair Twin XMS 512MB DDR (=1 GB)
                      ASUS Radeon 9600XT
                      SoundMax (onboard) sound "card." (Maybe I'll get the SB Audigy 2.)
                      460W PSU
                      Lian-Li PC-61 case

i call it "sweet" :thumb: :thumb:
                      - sweet

Comment

Glad i could guide u in the right direction sweet the 9600 xt is definetly i great card for the money and will play all the latest games , not on the highest detail but usually very high. I have my 9600 pro overclocked to xt speeds and i can play ut 2003 and call of duty on the highest res. and detail at a steady fram rate of about 50. :thumb:

Comment

I finally caught up and read all of this thread, glad ya got the 9600XT sweet, its a really nice card :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                          X