GeForce 3 Ti500, what am I loosing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce 3 Ti500, what am I loosing?

I am building a new machine based on the P4 3.00 GHz 800FSB CPU. I planned on using my (now) old video card, the GeForce 3 Ti500. But I thought maybe I will be choking the whole system by sticking to this old card.

So I started doing research on a new card, which I can afford. So far they (GeF5900, and the Rad9800) are around $400-$500, which I don't want to dish out right now.

So I am wondering, what am I going to loose if I stick to the "old" card?

I play Q3A as my all time fav, but will be going to H-L, and UT (Unreal Tournament) for multiplayer action, and even Homeworld2 when the machine is up and running.

Now that I think of it, should I switch to Windows XP, or is sticking with Windows 98 sufficient.

tia,
    sweet

Switch to XP, it's much more user-friendly and looks a bit nicer too ;D

You won't lose much, playing your old games like HL will run even better with that kind of cpu, just dont expect your fps to skyrocket in newer games (DX9 compatible maybe?), you need a good video card (with DX9 support if necessary) coupled with a good processor (i.e. your P4 3.0C)

Comment

Originally posted by saburrito
      Switch to XP, it's much more user-friendly and looks a bit nicer too ;D
      Thanks, will do.

You won't lose much, playing your old games like HL will run even better with that kind of cpu, just dont expect your fps to skyrocket in newer games (DX9 compatible maybe?), you need a good video card (with DX9 support if necessary) coupled with a good processor (i.e. your P4 3.0C)
      I didn't understand your answer, except for HL and UT being old games.

I am already using DX9 with my current system (P3/450MHz, GeF 3 Ti500).

So, I *do* need a better card other than my GeF 3 Ti500?

tia,
      my faith

Comment

In other words that graphics card is fine if you plan to stick with your old games but if you want to play the latest games on your computer you are going to need a 5600 ultra or 9600 xt minimum:thumb:

Comment

yah, radeon 9600xt's go for $167, best mid-range card out there. Also, has anyone ever gave you the "get a 2.4C CPU + a good mobo and RAM and o/c it to 3Ghz because it's much cheaper" talk? With the overclocking ability of P4 C processors, its a hell of alot cheaper and faster than buying a 3Ghz. Anyways, just ask if ya wanna know the details :thumb: . : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

I constantly find myself playing the role of underdog. No expert here .... but yes your system would run the newer games much better with a newer video card ....the GF3 will be a choke point in newer games. However: You do not NEED a better video card to play the newer games. You will prolly have to settle for lower graphics settings to keep them at a playable framerate but they will still be very playable with the card you now have. It all boils down to what you are willing to accept for now. If the money isn't there right now then the card you have will do the job untill you can afford to upgrade the card.
            Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by rugbydude
              In other words that graphics card is fine if you plan to stick with your old games but if you want to play the latest games on your computer you are going to need a 5600 ultra or 9600 xt minimum:thumb:
              OHHhhhhhh... perfectly clear. Now I see that sab really did say that afterall. thx rugby.

:shoot3: :bounce:

-sweet

Comment

Originally posted by PrairieDawg
                I constantly find myself playing the role of underdog. No expert here .... but yes your system would run the newer games much better with a newer video card ....the GF3 will be a choke point in newer games. However: You do not NEED a better video card to play the newer games. You will prolly have to settle for lower graphics settings to keep them at a playable framerate but they will still be very playable with the card you now have. It all boils down to what you are willing to accept for now. If the money isn't there right now then the card you have will do the job untill you can afford to upgrade the card.
                To quote Mr. Burns: "Exxxcccellent."

so thx for the great reply. i will play my old games multi-player and it will be cool, but if i buy new games i will play them multiplayer but with diminshed graphics quality. np - u shld c how i play q3a now - everybody is sarge, all flat power ups, ...etc.

-sweet

Comment

with a GF3ti500, everything set on low for q3a? :eek: :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by sweet
                    I am building a new machine based on the P4 3.00 GHz 800FSB CPU. I planned on using my (now) old video card, the GeForce 3 Ti500. But I thought maybe I will be choking the whole system by sticking to this old card.

So I started doing research on a new card, which I can afford. So far they (GeF5900, and the Rad9800) are around 0-0, which I don't want to dish out right now.

So I am wondering, what am I going to loose if I stick to the "old" card?

Now that I think of it, should I switch to Windows XP, or is sticking with Windows 98 sufficient.
                    Yes upgrade to XP as the modern memory requirement will likely cause probs for 98 and specifically get the Pro version or ya won't be able to use the hyperthreading technology offered by that system for better performance but ya can stick with that video card till ya ready for something else.

Comment

IMHO, dont bother upgrading unless you get everything, otherwise you wont see the true benefits of your new system. It's like buying a Ferrari and putting bicycle tires on it: sure the engine is fast as hell but you're going to be going slow and wobbly everywhere. Wait till you get some $$ for a good video card, then buy everything and enjoy the system. Hell, if you buy a 2.4GHz (and PC4000 RAM) and then O/c it to 3GHz, you'll have a faster computer AND $75 towards a new video card. That's almost half of a 9600XT. I dont know what else you're buying for your new comp, but if you give us a list, maybe we can help you get some better deals for faster stuff, and save you even more $ for a better card. I just hate to see people choke themselves like that. Anyways, think about it, you won't regret getting a better card with your new system. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

I was running a GF3 up until about 4 months ago. There's nothing wrong with the card, really. The only thing lacking is true DirectX 9 support, which is just fancy effects and so on. Games will still run fine (especially with that PC), but you just won't see all the special stuff that a lot of other people can. It's not really going to choke your PC that much.

However, having said all that, I don't know how much longer it will be able to play current games for. Once the next gen games start coming out early next year, you'll want to consider getting a new card at some point. Which I'm sure you are anyways.

What would I do in your situation? Keep the GF3 until about March / April next year, and then get a middle range card or better. You'll be set for a while then. ;)

EDIT: Forgot to mention. I've got a computer savvy friend who still uses a GF2MX. He's got an Athlon 2700+ XP, but hasn't upgraded his video yet. Why? Because he doesn't need to. :) It still plays everything.

Comment

with a GF3ti500, everything set on low for q3a? :eek: :eek:
                          yeah, it's not b/c of the vc it's b/c of the p3 :geek:

-sweet

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                            Yes upgrade to XP as the modern memory requirement will likely cause probs for 98 and specifically get the Pro version or ya won't be able to use the hyperthreading technology offered by that system for better performance but ya can stick with that video card till ya ready for something else.
                            oh man, thx for the tip wiggo - at least i noe y im switchin...

:cheers:

-sweet

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                              I was running a GF3 up until about 4 months ago. There's nothing wrong with the card, really. The only thing lacking is true DirectX 9 support, which is just fancy effects and so on. Games will still run fine (especially with that PC), but you just won't see all the special stuff that a lot of other people can. It's not really going to choke your PC that much.

However, having said all that, I don't know how much longer it will be able to play current games for. Once the next gen games start coming out early next year, you'll want to consider getting a new card at some point. Which I'm sure you are anyways.

What would I do in your situation? Keep the GF3 until about March / April next year, and then get a middle range card or better. You'll be set for a while then. ;)
                              well i was considering getting the 9600xt since it's only 7... but since im addicted to q3a, ut, and hl, then i will stick with my gef3 for now... mayb in 3/04 ill get a major card

[b]
                              EDIT: Forgot to mention. I've got a computer savvy friend who still uses a GF2MX. He's got an Athlon 2700+ XP, but hasn't upgraded his video yet. Why? Because he doesn't need to. :) It still plays everything.
                              well, playing is 1 thing, but im interested in KILLING EVERYBODY on the level...

:snip:............................:shoot3: :grr:

............................:rofl:

-sweet

Comment

Working...
                              X