How To Overclock Using MSI K7N2G-L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Overclock Using MSI K7N2G-L

In a way I am a beginner in OCing, but I know the basic on how to OC just that I have never actually done it before.

Well, my question is how to OC using the MSI K7N2G-L?

I know the nForce2 MB auto unlocks the cpu. I got a ABM XP 2600+ (333FSB).

I changed the FSB from 166 to 170 but any higher my system will crash. I tried to change the multiplier to 13x but when I reboot it says that I got a AMD 2600+ (856MHz) instead of 2.08GHz.

Did I do something wrong or missed any steps? I tried to change the VCore to 1.7V but my computer will just not turn on.

Please help me out :D

1st up is what memory ya usin' and are ya runnin' that memory at the same speed as the CPU's FSB plus what HSF are ya usin'? :?:

A lot more details on ya whole hardware setup would be very helpful. ;)

Comment

I am using 2x256MB Legend DDR333 CL2.5 and I am running the Ram and cpu at the same speed.

I am just using the standard HSF that comes with AMD CPU. I just read from other places that they got the 2600+ (2.08HGz) to go up to 2.4GHz but I only can get mine up to 2.133Ghz.

I changed the ram voltage, I just have a theory that my cpu is not unlocked because cannot change the vcore votage and when change the multiplier it downgrades to 856MHz

Comment

Usin' the standard retail HSF is not good for overclockin' at all as it's just barely acceptable in stock setups with good airflow but I still throw them into collection of useless HSF's and fit Volcano 7+'s instead. Ya PC2700 memory is another factor that's holdin' ya back also as PC3200 should be the minimum ya use as that PC2700 is already runnin' at its maximum spec in stock configuration (I use PC3500 myself in the form of XMS3500).

Comment

But i could just change the multiplier from 12.5x to 13x because that does not affect the FSB so it should not affect the ram in anyway. Regarding the HSF, my box has 5 fans and I have the side panel off with a big fan next to it. Right now my cpu temp is 52C at 2.133GHz.

I probably can not change the FSB any more but just want to know why when I set my multiplier to 13x it shows as 856MHz? Do you know why this is so?

Comment

52C is gettin' far to warm in my books and my XP2600+ @ 2.26GHz (12.5 x 180MHz) is at this moment 38C under 100% load (Volcano 7+ @ medium speed). :)

I'm not sure on what's goin' on with the 13 settin' though. :shrug:

Comment

Ohhh, ok then.. I thought 52C is ok because keep hearing about people with AMD with 60C and etc.

Does anyone know why I am getting 856MHz on my AMD XP 2600+ with the multiplier of 13? (default is 12.5x). I really want to find out why.

Comment

I got Volcano11 on mine with a 24cfm fan, running 100% CPU and have 35C temps.
                So getting a good cooler would be strongly recomended for you. 7+ and 11 are both copper. Try going with either one of those for good temp reduction.
                Also CAS 2.5 is ok for kt266 chipsets, but some pc3200 cas2 would be way better. what happens when you set it above 13x, like 13.5 or 14 or whatever the next one is?

Comment

My motherboard does not go any higher then the multiplier of 13. that is why I did not get a faster cpu then the 2600+ and I heard that the 2600+ was good for OCing

Comment

HI

I have the same board as you minus the onboard graphics. The same thing happens with mine. I think someone elso on here as the same strange problem. I think its just a bug in the bios. I expect it will be updated with the next bios revision. Keep MSI live update running and it'll tell you when its available then download it for you.

Comment

that is good to hear that I am the only person with that problem. I wonder if MSI knows about the problem. I will email them the problem anyway.

I have tried everything under the sun to get the multiplier to work. But at least I know now.

Comment

i have the same board with an athlon1700 t-bred B running @2ghz.

apparently when u set the multiplier to 13x it sets to the lowest.. and i think the temp sensor is also buggy (besides the multiplier) because my temps are at 55.. been 55+ since i started my setup with a volcano 9. hasn't failed me yet, its rock-stable so i can only assume that the temp readings are false.

Comment

Yeah the temps are false. Today I decided to update everything. I got a new bios which didn't fix the mulit thing but ohwell. However, when I updated the PC alert 4. Instead of showing my temps as 48 + it now shows them as 26 30 full load. Much more comfortable. I suggest you guys do the same. Z-blade if you hear back from MSI i would love to know what they say

Comment

I looked at the MSI website about the BIOS update and it did say that there was something wrong with the Temp readings on it, when I get back home I will definitly update my BIOS. My reading of 52C is probably wrong then. I just hope it will not say something like it is 62C or something like that after I update my Bios.

I just email MSI about the multiplier settings, but I think it will take about a few days for them to reply back. You guys know how long it takes for big companies to reply emails, usally a few weeks. LOL

Comment

Ok... I just update my BIOS to the the latest one (v3.5) and I my cpu temp is running at 30C. Now how good is that on the standard AMD HSF!!

Now all I need to do is to get MSI to fix that stuid multiplier problem and I will be ready to do some serious overclocking on my system.

Looks like I do not need to buy the Thermal Take Vocano 7+ at all if I am running at 30C right now. But it is winter here so that might be the reason why it is that cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X