ya know those long atx power plug ins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ya know those long atx power plug ins

You know those long power plugs? I mean the ide cable is perfect, low profile, plug it in and it doesn't stick out of the device what-so-ever;however, the power plug on the back of a device sticks out what 1/2"? So, due to room contraints, I took one apart, cut in down to just the part that goes in the device, put the wires with the sockets still attached back in and bent them down. This required black tapeing and bending them down and I did put the wires in backward and fried my test unit, oh well. With the wires correct I recieved the need room and now my cd-rw slides all the way in without that power plug and wires behind it blocking the path. Thing is, does anyone know if these are manufacturered and sold anywhere? Thanks.

The only molex power connectors that I've worked with only stick out about a 1/4" from the device but it really sounds like ya need a case with a bit more room.

Have ya got a pic? :?:

Comment

Yes, you are correct. It is a case based on a micro-atx form factor. Until I can afford a new case, I've got to work with it. After measuring it, I removed 5/8" of an inch of plastic from the plug and with the wires now bent down, actually created a full inch of room. It looks like the ide connector now with just enough plastic to go insde and the wires bent down coming out. The cd-rw was sticking out 1/2" before the mod. I'll post the pic later, after I take it apart to up my volts .1 in my latest overclocking experiement. Thanks.

Comment

Hello,
        For what it's worth here is a side by side of a regular molex and my modded molex. Gave me enough space to put the cd/rw all the way in. Regards,

Comment

Thats a good idea, but it would be a bit of trouble removing from the device, you could pull the wires unsoldered.

Comment

seems to me it would make more sense to get a better designed case, but whatever works for ya...
            :2cents:

:cheers:

Comment

Yeah, I'm useing my money to slowly aquire parts for a water cooled 64 bit monster. So, I had to improvise with this one. I was very carefull removing the sockets. It can be done if anyone else ever has too. Thanks for your thoughts. Regards,

:cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
                Thats a good idea, but it would be a bit of trouble removing from the device, you could pull the wires unsoldered.
                :rofl:

That's happened to me so many times, I've lost count. Now I just leave my wire crimpers, pliers, and push-pins with my comp tools. Anyways, very nice mod mate, just make sure you tape up the backs of em well, you dont want and voltage jumping, etc. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Your using Electrical tape right? And I STILL wouldn't touch the back of those plugs, could get a Shocking Experince.

Comment

For what it is worth, my Lite-On 52X burner is a solid inch shorter than EVERY other cd / dvd rom drive i have ever owned.

Comment

This may be of some interest. This guy did a nice wiring job, and he lists the part numbers for 90 degree molex connectors at Digikey, and how to install them.

Comment

I've got some molex power cables out of an old server that are very like the ones that wcdeuv has made but much more solid. There is one input and four outputs on it, and is factory made. I don't know where you would get them though, so maybe the 90 deg connectors are what you'll need.

Comment

The PSU for my new E-Cube came with a 90 degree connector on the PSU. I do believe these are available in an end connector as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X