Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-X79-UP4 BETA BIOS Turbo Boost Bug Workaround

Originally posted by Kain View Post
    This makes me wonder if I should go with Asus next time around. Do their BIOSes actually do what they are suppose or are they just like GIGABYTE?
    UEFI is fairly new and it seems the old dogs can't seem to master the newest tricks yet, so they (companies) all have their own unique problems. ASRock almost destroyed my 3930K with a BIOS update. Asus almost destroyed my 7970s with a BIOS update. Both are a pain to get high (5+GHz) stable overclocks on. Gigabyte hasn't released anything that detrimental and seems to be the only one steadily releasing BIOS updates for their current boards. If you inform ASRock or Asus of BIOS problems, they could care less and blame you. Been there done that repeatedly. If you contact Gigabyte support and they confirm it's a BIOS problem, they will fix it.

This work around for an otherwise rock solid BIOS is much better than having BSOD/hardware failures and not understanding why. I got really tired of manually checking everything on my boards (ASRock & Asus) with a multimeter and/or infrared thermometer to find their older BIOS' not functioning properly. I put a Leatherman straight through that ASRock board and gave away the Asus board. I had an EVGA board that would only work with graphics cards and no other PCI-E devices. I owned a lackluster Intel board, right before P4s were EOL. Haven't touch any others. MSI bothers me, because their other earlier products (not MBs) were all considered garbage worldwide. I won't venture in their direction. My first Gigabyte board was a X58A-UD7 and it was rock solid, with only minor things here and there to contend with.

Overall, I'll be sticking with Gigabyte and only recommend them out of product trust.

Comment

Thanks. At least that is a little reassuring. I've been using this GA-X79-UD3 since January 2012 and haven't had any real major issues. Do you think GIGABYTE will make a motherboard at the caliber of the ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition? Maybe there is no point now but maybe for the Haswell-E release?

Lastly, what is the difference between the Rev 1.0 and 1.1 of the GA-X79-UD3? Is it just that the Rev 1.1 comes with the Ivy Bridge-E capable BIOS already flashed?

Comment

You're welcome. The Asus RIBE is an average X79 board that's more for show, like most RoG gear. You can see here that The UD3, UD7, and A2 came out ahead in quite a few tests against it. It's like buying a Mercedes. Everyone knows BMWs last longer and perform better, but if you have money to burn and something to prove to yourself, you'll get a Mercedes instead...lol I'm sure Gigabyte will have an awesome flagship set of boards to release with the next CPU/chipset release. I bet they're busy working on them right now. I just hope they aren't so colorful...lol

Most revisions are minor tweaks to small things (hardware) that can be compensated for in earlier revisions with BIOS/firmware adjustments. The new revisions have the item(s) replaced and possibly a different BIOS. Most people can't even notice the difference.

Comment

The weird thing is that I kind of (I experience different turbo boost related bug) not experience turbo boost bug. When it is idle it sets the multiplier to 12 (1200 MHz CPU Clock), and when it is loaded it sets it to 38 (3800 MHz CPU clock) which is the turbo boost frequency for my CPU. This is done with all settings on auto in BIOS F5. The thing that bothers me is that turbo boost is working in one step, and i believe that with F3u BIOS it had at least 2 or 3 steps. Now multiplier jumps from 12 directly to 38.

I will test how different scenarios and settings and will report back with more information.

Comment

If you Disable C3 State Support, C6/C7 State Support, and CPU EIST Function, it should stable out. Setting your Control Panel - Power Options to High Performance will help as well.

Comment

I think you misunderstood me. I know that disabling power saving states will give me stable CPU clock, but the problem is different. So far i tested it on F3u and F5. In F5 i get 12x multiplier and 38x multiplier. In F3u i get 12x,36x,37x and 38x which i consider normal with all C states enabled. Something is wrong either with newer BIOS or the support for my CPU. I intentionally left power saving features enabled because i do not turn off my PC because in many occasions i need access to it remotely, and saving some power is good for my monthly electricity bill. I will test F2 as well and see if there is something different.

Comment

I see what you mean now. For me, HWiNFO shows different step patterns on the System Summary and they're very quick, so other programs may not be able to display that correctly. It's a very quick ramp up and recovery, based on core load and time of load. I'd say the newest CPU microcode seems to be a lot more optimized, along with BIOS support for this.

Or, old BIOS functionality was set to control ramp up and CPU load based on core load and percentage, but has since been removed, since the CPU does this on it's own and more quickly. Either way, cores ramp up and recover very quickly, without a pause, hesitation, or stop at any given clock speed. Much gooderer...lol
                Last edited by MacG32; 12-18-2013, 07:17 AM.

Comment

xplode,

I know what you mean. My 3930K also runs at either 1.2 GHz or 3.8 GHz. I actually like it like this. I mean I am getting a free mini overclock. With all cores at full load, it is suppose to run at 3.5 GHz but it runs at 3.8 GHz. Basically, what the motherboard is doing is taking the highest turbo clock and applying it to all cores. Other motherboard manufacturers do this too.

Comment

I'm wondering when this issue is going to be resolved? Since BIOS F4* and up, this has been an issue. I'm still slowly trying to find the BIOS that's most stable for my system. Just yesterday I got a BSOD with Memory Management as the cause. My memory is functioning 100% properly. F6a has some strange input lag and this Turbo Boost problem as well. F5* has seem to introduce a slowing of drive reads and writes. Copying and pasting, compressing, and opening large files has a lag I've never experienced before. My system should be running lightening fast, but it's not. I thought F3u might be the answer, but my memory isn't stable with it. When will all of these problems be taken care of and a final release of a 100% stable and fast BIOS be made available?

Comment

With F6a my pc does not boot with XMP enabled - i consider it crappy BIOS - also i do not experience slow reads or writes or lags with F5Mod and F5. But as i see you are with 3930 and I am with 3820 so differences are possible.
                      Last edited by xplode; 02-04-2014, 01:33 AM. Reason: Edited bios version because of a typo.

Comment

B to the ump for visibility.

Comment

Working...
                        X