GA-X79-UP4 BETA BIOS Turbo Boost Bug Workaround

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X79-UP4 BETA BIOS Turbo Boost Bug Workaround

Howdy folks. This is the workaround I use. Hope it helps.

CPU Frequency is 38

Turbo and Non-Turbo Ratios and Frequencies listing correctly

CPU Clock Ratio is set to 38

Turbo Boost is Enabled and each Turbo Ratio Core is set to 38

CPU under no load

CPU under partial to full load

Tada!

Re: GA-X79-UP4 BETA BIOS Turbo Boost Bug Workaround

There is a little side effect - Windows detects my CPU as it is OC-ed @5.6GHZ :)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	753989
    Last edited by xplode; 11-05-2013, 11:04 AM. Reason: Add aditional info

Comment

Originally posted by xplode View Post
      There is a little side effect - Windows detects my CPU as it is OC-ed @5.6GHZ :)
      [ATTACH]6332[/ATTACH]
      But CPU-Z detects it right.

I Did the same for my CPU as in your workaround. By default for my CPU the value for turbo boost is 36 but the actual turbo boost is 3,8GHz (in F3u BUIS at least) and in my computer's system properties it showed 3,8 GHZ. Now i set turbo boost value to 38 (which should correspond to 3,8GHz and it ctually do) and in windows system properties it show 5.6GHz but actually CPU works boosted @3,8GHz

This is with F5c bios, I flashed it after saw your post.
      Same here. The stock Turbo boost is 3.6 GHz according to Windows 8 even though it goes up to 3.8 GHz.

Comment

Originally posted by Kain View Post
        Same here. The stock Turbo boost is 3.6 GHz according to Windows 8 even though it goes up to 3.8 GHz.
        Windows...lmao It wouldn't know it's rear end from a whole in the ground...lol Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

But that was when it was idle. When under load, all cores would reach 3.8 GHz even with the old BIOS. By the way, how come with the old BIOS the stock VCore was detected as 1.2xx volts in the BIOS and with the latest F16 BIOS it is detected as 1.305 volts in the BIOS? I also noticed that your 3930K has a stock voltage of almost 1.300 volts in your thread on how to fix overclocking so I guess this is normal?

Does it have to anything with the LLC setting? Was it changed/altered in the newer BIOSes? My LLC reads as +60% and is set on Auto. I cannot change the +60% but I can change the Auto to Normal, Standard, etc.

I've already explained this to you Kain. HWiNFO64 isn't reporting errors in the Max column of picture 1. Your motherboard's default Turbo Settings are displayed in picture 1. Now, they are all set to 38 in picture 2. It's that simple. I think you believe all of your cores were reporting 38 in your old BIOS, but rest assured, if you didn't manually adjust the settings for Turbo Boost then, what is shown in picture 1 is correct for the default settings. This is why all of your voltages have increased, as well as temperatures.

Comment

Yeah I think you are right because the minimum voltages are pretty much the same in the two pictures.

Comment

By the way, even though the BIOS says the stock voltage is 1.305 volts for when all cores turbo to 3.8 GHz, I manually entered 1.190 volts and everything is fine. I can game for hours and pass stress tests with no issues.

Comment

I'm glad this is helping folks out. We'll see what the next BETA BIOS has in store.

Comment

Seems like people are saying the latest beta BIOS is quite an improvement over the previous ones. Looking forward to the official BIOS release.

By the way, a little off-topic, but are you planning on upgrading to Ivy Bridge-E or will you be staying with your 3930K?

Comment

Seems like people are saying the latest beta BIOS is quite an improvement over the previous ones. Looking forward to the official BIOS release.

By the way, a little off-topic, but are you planning on upgrading to Ivy Bridge-E or will you be staying with your 3930K?
                    I'll be sticking with my 3930k. 3-5% variable increase at stock isn't worth the cost for me.

Comment

Gotta love that 5.60GHz overclock...lol

Comment

Anyone else have success with this?

Comment

Still needed for F5e Beta BIOS.

Comment

Still needed for the F5 BIOS as well.

Comment

This makes me wonder if I should go with ASUS next time around. Do their BIOSes actually do what they are suppose or are they just like GIGABYTE?

Comment

Working...
                              X