Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-Z77X-UD3h - Cant boot to DVD/CD rom when in Raid mode ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-Z77X-UD3h - Cant boot to DVD/CD rom when in Raid mode ???

but this isn't a windows install issue.
    im able to load up windows no problem. both in RAID and in AHCI.

i feel like this is more of a Bios issue? Can windows 7 actually do something to the HDD to make the intel SATA RAID controller in the bios not let me choose one of those drives as a boot drive?

Comment

Re: GA-Z77X-UD3h - Cant boot to DVD/CD rom when in Raid mode ???

Originally posted by profJim View Post
      Vin, wouldn't connecting the optical drive to the Marvell ports get around the possible optical drive issue with Intel Raid mode enabled?
      The block diagram in the mobo user manual also shows that the VIA VL800 controller has four usb3.0/2.0 ports.
      It sounds like drivers for VIA and/or Marvell might need to be loaded before their ports could be used.

I've seen many references to win7 doing strange things when additional drives are connected during the o/s install.
      Thanks for the confirmation about win7's weirdness with other drives connected while installing the operating system.
      Ya, he could use the Marvel ports, just make sure they are configured as IDE.

Originally posted by inkinutz View Post
      but this isn't a windows install issue.
      im able to load up windows no problem. both in RAID and in AHCI.

i feel like this is more of a Bios issue? Can windows 7 actually do something to the HDD to make the intel SATA RAID controller in the bios not let me choose one of those drives as a boot drive?
      No, at bootup Win7 has nothing to do with it, but if the Bios doesn't see bootable media in the optical drive then you will not see that option in the boot up menu.

For all the different systems I plug in to and work on, I've given up on using local optical drives myself and picked up a USB unit. always works and always looks like an IDE drive in the bios... I know that last bit doesn't help you...

Vin
      Main Rig
      OS = Win10-64Bit
      CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
      Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
      MB = Asus ROG C6H
      GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
      HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
      PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
      Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
      OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
      CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
      Mem = 24GB RAM
      MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
      GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
      HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
      Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
      PSU = Corsair TX750
      Case = Define R5

Comment

Working...
      X