Gigabyte ga-x79s-up5 USB 3.0 Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte ga-x79s-up5 USB 3.0 Issues

I'm running F3 bios revision currently. Windows 7 x64 with 64Gigs of memory. I've tried different devices in the USB2.0 they work fine but as soon as I put them in the USB 3.0 ports nothing works. I looked under device manager it shows them as unknown device. I'm wondering if this another bug within the motherboard? I need the USB 3.0 ports to work.

Thanks

Re: Gigabyte ga-x79s-up5 USB 3.0 Issues

have you tried installing the driver? USB3 drivers are not bundled with Windows7 installation. you have to download and install the driver yourself.

I looked up your board and I found two USB3.0 drivers listed for it;

1) Fresco USB 3.0 driver 3.5.93.0 4.84 MB -> http://download.gigabyte.ru/driver/m...resco_usb3.exe

2) VIA USB 3.0 Driver 6.1.7600.3105 8.15 MB -> http://download.gigabyte.ru/driver/m...a_usb3_x79.exe

I would try that and then go from there.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win10-64Bit
    CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
    Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
    MB = Asus ROG C6H
    GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
    HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
    CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
    Mem = 24GB RAM
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
    GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
    HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
    Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Define R5

Comment

Yep both of those drivers were installed.

Comment

Ok, the next I would make sure of is that the latest chipset drivers were/are installed.

something else to do as well, in device manager, double-click in the device and select "update driver" and select "don't go online" and select "have disk" then browse to the driver location and force the installation.

Vin
        Main Rig
        OS = Win10-64Bit
        Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
        MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
        OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
        Mem = 24GB RAM
        GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
        PSU = Corsair TX750
        Case = Define R5

Comment

Here is a screen shot of the usb drivers. I have all the current drivers installed as of 2 days ago I do believe. I noticed the bios does recognize the external hd. I tried auto and I also put it as HD. Still the when I plug in the drive into the usb 3.0 it comes up as unknown. I hope this helps some.
          Attached Files

Comment

So aadder, that unknown device is not listed as a device with an exclamation mark under other devices?

and that unknown device goes away if you unplug your external HD?

Vin
            Last edited by Vinster; 03-11-2013, 03:22 AM.
            Main Rig
            OS = Win10-64Bit
            Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
            MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
            Mem = 24GB RAM
            GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
            PSU = Corsair TX750
            Case = Define R5

Comment

No the unknown device does not have an ! next to it. It doesn't matter if the usb hd is plugged in or not. Anything I plug into the USB 3.0 ports does not work they all show up as Unknown or not show up at all under device manager this includes flash drives. If I put those same devices in the usb 2.0 port they work. There is something about the usb 3.0 ports that is going on. I'm going to probably call Gigabyte tomorrow to see if they can diagnose the problem.

Comment

In the bios, are the USB3.0 devices enabled (Peripherals Menu)? From the manual (Page 53/54) the Fresco USB3,0 ports are for the front and the VIA USB 3.0 Ports are for the back ports...

Both sets of ports are doing the same thing?

Vin
                Main Rig
                OS = Win10-64Bit
                Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                Mem = 24GB RAM
                GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                PSU = Corsair TX750
                Case = Define R5

Comment

Both are enabled in the bios. I plugged in the usb3.ports into the front the hard drive etc are all seen right away. I have a SuperMicro 4U server case there 2 front usb 3.0 port design doesn't mount that's why its not installed. I tried and tried to find something at MicroCenter that will work they don't have a mounting bracket that will. Seems that via usb 3.0 ports are not working. I'll take a picture of what I'm talking about a little later on.

Side note I noticed the Intel Server nic I340-T4 at times on this board does not reset the ports correctly. Though let's try to figure out what's going on with the usb 3.0 ports in the back since the front is useless in there current design.

Comment

Wow really tech support is a joke they are saying there is a conflict with the usb 3.0 due to my having an Adaptec raid controller installed. The onboard raid controller is disabled. This same raid card worked in another motherboard without a problem.

Comment

I took out the Adaptec 5805 raid controller, intel server I340-T4 nic, sound blaster z series. I'm left with nothing installed except the MSI 7970 gpu. Still I'm getting the unknown device problem with the usb 3.0 back ports. Click image for larger version

Name:	usb issue.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	753588

Comment

Hi
                        I have the same issue with my USB 3.0 rear ports not working. I have contacted technical support, installed latest bios (beta) as they recommended and all drivers installed tech support reply is as follows
                        Dear Sir,

We test the rear usb2.0 and usb3.0 works fine.
                        Below is the device management of USB ports.

You may remove all your USB devices to check which one causes the problem.
                        to which I replied
                        Good morning
                        Your reply has not answered my question. No USB devices work when plugged into any of the rear USB 3.0 ports. Each of these USB devices (external dvd, external hard drive, usb memory stick) all work both on another computer and when plugged into the USB 2 ports. I sent an image of my device manager which shown both the USB 3 drivers as loaded. In devices and printers there is an unknown device attached is a screen shot if you scroll left you will see this is a standard USB controller at location 5 which has no driver installed and which windows says does not need a driver and will not instal one. The problem appears to be that your usb host controller for the rear USB 3 ports is not being loaded by windows 7 (64 bit). Therefore the rear usb ports are not working. This is a driver or bios problem. Please solve this issue and advise me how to rectify this driver/bios error.

Comment

good luck with that, since it worked fine for their test rig, there isn't an issue...

that'll be a fun time

Vin
                          Main Rig
                          OS = Win10-64Bit
                          Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                          MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                          Mem = 24GB RAM
                          GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                          PSU = Corsair TX750
                          Case = Define R5

Comment

I have now reloaded windows and only loaded the via USB 3.0 driver which the manufacturer says is the only driver required for the back USB ports still none of the rear USB ports work anyone else having this problem or got a solution? I have 64gb ram (Gskill) installed and working great so really don't want to pull everything and return the board only to have the same problem with a replacement this seems to be a bios/driver issue as the usb host controller shows up without a driver (saying it doesn't need a driver which is clearly wrong).

Comment

Only thing I can suggest is to look for the USB Power supply jumper. many boards have a jumper for Internal/External Power supply... like if you were using a powered USB hub, the you could use the "external" supply.

check your manual, and make sure that "Internal" is enabled, if it isn't then the ports wouldn't have 5V to supply the components but the controller would still be alive and kicking telling your OS that everything is fine...

That's all I can suggest for you to try? But they should just work...

Vin
                              Main Rig
                              OS = Win10-64Bit
                              Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                              MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                              Mem = 24GB RAM
                              GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                              PSU = Corsair TX750
                              Case = Define R5

Comment

Working...
                              X