Please help me solve this stutter problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please help me solve this stutter problem

what monitor are you using? i know it has nothing to do with your network issue...

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win10-64Bit
    CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
    Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
    MB = Asus ROG C6H
    GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
    HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
    CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
    Mem = 24GB RAM
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
    GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
    HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
    Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Define R5

Comment

Originally posted by Vinster View Post
      what monitor are you using? i know it has nothing to do with your network issue...

Vin
      Sometimes there are things just out of the control of our computers hardware, software, and drivers. Our IPS's can and should be blamed for what your experianceing. I'd look at your ihops to any known site just to see how your connection is routed. You might be supprised.

Comment

Originally posted by dewot View Post
        A couple of thoughts - troublehooting logic:

If the stuttering only happens when you are on the internet, its internet (or your NIC / NIC drivers).
        If stuttering happens when you are disconnected from the internet, its machine.
        If stuttering occurs both on and off the internet, its machine.

The X58 is known for southbridge heat issues. I have seen a few posts where people solved weird issues on X58's by replacing the thermal paste on the southbridge with a good quality paste and /or adding a small fan that blows directly on the southbridge. I would do both in your case - the board has been used for awhile and new paste is probably warranted. If video cards permit, you might even add a custom heatsink. Benchmarks are usually a pretty good way to cook the southbridge, BTW.

Next, I googled Creative sound card stuttering and came up with a thread on GURU3D that said CThelper.exe was causing stuttering, so I would remove the card and uninstall the drivers. Use Gigabytes onboard sound for awhile and see if it helps.

I don't think it's your problem, but I will mention it anyway - your ISP's DNS can be an issue. After I switched to Centurylink (Qwest), I started having lag issues with product photos (Newegg, Tigerdirect) taking 2 to 5 seconds to download on a 12mb/s connection. While the DNS record lookup was very fast using Qwest DNS, I used traceroute on a couple of Usenet sites and saw that all my internet connections were first routed through Qwests servers, which were causing the lag. There are quite a few things ISP's can do to DNS - so I suggest trying a third party DNS as a comparison.

You can try the following:

1. Flush the DNS cache.
        2. Turn off DNS client in services.
        3. Change your DNS servers on your NIC to OpenDNS at 208.67.222 and 208.67.220.220.

This may get you faster internet response time.

Hope those are some new ideas!
        The southbridge heatsink doesn't feel hot at all during load so I don't think that is my problem. I think the fan on my video card is keeping it cool. My board doesn't seem to have a sensor there though so I don't have an exact number. This is what hardware monitor shows for the rest of the PC after letting the temps stabilize in prime 95. Temp 1 is definitely "system temperature" whatever that means, it matches the bios. I think Temp 2 is "CPU temperature" and Temp 3 should be "MCH temperature". Left is minimum, right is maximum:

About the DNS, I went through that when I had my ISP come out and test the lines at my address. Google turned out to be the fastest DNS but it wasn't much of a difference from my ISP's DNS and it certainly didn't help my problem.

About the sound card, I mentioned that I had tried pulling it out and having no sound device or drivers installed and the problem remained.

Originally posted by Vinster View Post

Vin
        I have tried two monitors and two new dual DVI cables. My current monitor is the Asus VG278H 1920x1080 120Hz monitor. The other monitor that I tested is an older Asus vw224u 1680x1050 60Hz.

Comment

I would rma the board for testing/repair,then take it from there,could be cpu or board seeing you've tested everything else
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The problem might be related to your 120GB Samsung 840 model with TLC Nand.
            Check out HARDOCP - Samsung 840 120GB SSD Review
            HardOCP really likes the Samsung 840 PRO and standard models except for the 120GB TLC, non PRO model.
            From their conclusion:
            This 120GB TLC SSD simply doesn't live up to the reputation that we have come to expect from the Samsung 840 series.
            falls far short of delivering performance that would be suitable for a normal consumer.

We run a wide gamut of tests here at [H]ardOCP simply because some tests can reveal certain characteristics of an SSD that others will not. Interpreting and considering all results helps us to draw the most well-rounded opinion of the storage device in question.

The results of our latency testing initially raised the red flag. We knew that we were going to encounter slow write speeds with this SSD, but what we did not expect was to receive abysmal maximum read and write latency. Latency spikes of this nature are undoubtedly going to lead to interruptions in the flow of computing for users. SSDs with appreciably lower maximum latency can still experience the occasional hiccup, but with ranges of up to 67ms (three times higher than the nearest competing SSD) there is guaranteed to be laggy performance in many scenarios. Users will become accustomed to staring at the little blue spinning circle with this SSD in their system.

The slow sequential speed of the SSD will make simple procedures, such as copying pictures and videos, long drawn out affairs. Bear in mind that some 5400rpm HDDs can write at initial speeds of 140MB/s, and sustain a speed of 80-90MB/s. The fact that the 130MB/s that this SSD provides is even in the range of a 5400rpm HDD speaks volumes.
            Other web sites have reported similar results with the 120GB Samsung 840 TLC model.
            All other Samsung 840 models are very highly rated.
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
              I would rma the board for testing/repair,then take it from there,could be cpu or board seeing you've tested everything else
              I can't RMA the board, its from the Nehalem release back in 2008 so the warranty is long gone. Replacing the board and CPU would be $500 minimum because of having to buy another copy of windows.... It just doesn't make any sense to spend that money when the PC can pass all stress tests but be "broken" and stutter in games.

Is there any other voltages that you can recommend increasing that might help this? All of the voltages below are at their defaults:

PCIE
              QPI PLL
              IOH Core
              ICH I/O
              ICH Core
              DRAM Termination

Originally posted by profJim View Post
              The problem might be related to your 120GB Samsung 840 model with TLC Nand.
              Check out HARDOCP - Samsung 840 120GB SSD Review
              HardOCP really likes the Samsung 840 PRO and standard models except for the 120GB TLC, non PRO model.
              From their conclusion:

Other web sites have reported similar results with the 120GB Samsung 840 TLC model.
              All other Samsung 840 models are very highly rated.
              The problem was there before I purchased the SSD.

Comment

Sorry, somehow I missed your sound card stuff.

There are two other things I would probably try if it were my machine:

First, I would go into the bios and disable everything the board does not require for running a stutter test. Disable your 2 Sata ports run by the Gigabyte controller chip ( use Intel ports only), your firewire, your PCI slots if possible, and even the onboard sound. Disable the NIC if you will be testing for stutter locally on the machine, and won't need internet. The idea here is to eliminate chip firmware / low level drivers as a source of the problem.

Disable speedstep and EIST if they are enabled, and with the board as brain dead as possible, run a test for stutter. If you get lucky and stutter disappears, you re-enable one by one until stutter returns. (I get firmware updates at station drivers website most of the time in case you need them).

Last, I must ask if this board ever stuttered under Win 7 / XP? I would find a digitalriver direct download of win 7 Professional (just google it - they will show up) and install and test for stutter (you get 30 days before you have to activate). The idea here is to return to a known good configuration, and see if you have stutter where you did not before. Or at least test in Windows 7 for stutter. I don't think you can rule out Windows 8 as an issue.

Comment

Even if you have an OEM version of windows, you wouldn't need to buy a new copy.
                  The worst that would happen is that you might need to reactivate windows via a toll free call.

I'm pretty sure that Gigabyte will repair your motherboard where you would pay for shipping (both ways?) and and a service charge.
                  This sounds a bit iffy unless you know that your mobo needs to be repaired.

Try under-clocking your cpu and/or video card and see if this makes a difference.
                  This might help in diagnosing where the problem is.

Is there any way that you can borrow a different cpu for testing?
                  Do you know anyone who has an unused, retired X58 mobo that you can test with?
                  Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                  P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                  4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                  Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                  WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                  Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                  SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                  Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                  Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                  Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                  Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                  HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                  CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                  E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                  Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                  Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                  HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Wow stutter, you've basically tried everything I would have recommended you to do. (Turning HPET off, checking DPC latency, eliminating hardware + software one at a time to get rid of variables)

I'm assuming your system used to work fine in the past so at this point all I can say is either you have an issue with your CPU/Mobo degrading or perhaps something of yours really hates Windows 8, although you stated it's happening in Vista too? Heh perhaps the middle of the family (7) would work.

Stuttering (next to V-Sync causing me input lag in most games) is the absolute worst thing on earth to deal with. A game I really wanted to play badly Divinity II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I can't because the engine they used seems to cause stutter no matter what I do to try and eliminate it. Really sucks when the stutter is so slight (like V-Sync mouse lag) that it's plain as day to you but others think you're crazy because they aren't as well tuned to seeing slight differences.

Comment

Originally posted by dewot View Post
                      Sorry, somehow I missed your sound card stuff.

There are two other things I would probably try if it were my machine:

First, I would go into the bios and disable everything the board does not require for running a stutter test. Disable your 2 Sata ports run by the Gigabyte controller chip ( use Intel ports only), your firewire, your PCI slots if possible, and even the onboard sound. Disable the NIC if you will be testing for stutter locally on the machine, and won't need internet. The idea here is to eliminate chip firmware / low level drivers as a source of the problem.

Disable speedstep and EIST if they are enabled, and with the board as brain dead as possible, run a test for stutter. If you get lucky and stutter disappears, you re-enable one by one until stutter returns. (I get firmware updates at station drivers website most of the time in case you need them).

Last, I must ask if this board ever stuttered under Win 7 / XP? I would find a digitalriver direct download of win 7 Professional (just google it - they will show up) and install and test for stutter (you get 30 days before you have to activate). The idea here is to return to a known good configuration, and see if you have stutter where you did not before. Or at least test in Windows 7 for stutter. I don't think you can rule out Windows 8 as an issue.
                      I followed your directions and disabled everything that I could, Turbo, Hyperthreading, all power saving features, excess ports, everything. The only thing this managed to do is improve my boot time, the stutter is still trolling me when I got back into windows to test. I tried vista 64 bit home premium and the problem is the same so I don't think it's Windows 8 at fault.

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                      Even if you have an OEM version of windows, you wouldn't need to buy a new copy.
                      The worst that would happen is that you might need to reactivate windows via a toll free call.

I'm pretty sure that Gigabyte will repair your motherboard where you would pay for shipping (both ways?) and and a service charge.
                      This sounds a bit iffy unless you know that your mobo needs to be repaired.

Try under-clocking your cpu and/or video card and see if this makes a difference.
                      This might help in diagnosing where the problem is.

Is there any way that you can borrow a different cpu for testing?
                      Do you know anyone who has an unused, retired X58 mobo that you can test with?
                      I have already tried running the processor at stock and the ram at 1066 while throwing excess voltage at the VTT, Vcore and Dram. The GTX 460 was also tested with severely underclocked core/shader and memory. I already asked around for any old motherboards but most people have moved on to newer chipsets and sold the old stuff. For me, this CPU was and still is more than enough performance for my needs so I haven't upgraded since late 2008. I won't bother sending Gigabyte my board because I have a feeling they would throw it in their test rig and pass it as working leaving me with two bills for shipping and the same board. I would have purchased a new (refurbished) board from them if they allowed it (they said no).

This problem seems to only be in 3d applications, moving windows around on the desktop and watching Youtube or Netflix everything is perfectly fine (show video info -> zero frames dropped), just another clue. I am about done with this thing though. I want to thank everyone for offering their advice.
                      Last edited by Stutter; 02-25-2013, 05:56 PM.

Comment

You can try bumping the voltages - southbridge, pcie, qpi, maybe northbridge - as a last resort, altho you said you tested at stock speeds, so I think that indicates voltages are not the issue.

Time to think 3570k and z77. Best CPU prices are at microcenter if you have one in your area.

Comment

you can still rma the board for them to test and repair it if need be,i had a faulty ram slot on my old ud5,i sent it in even when it was out of warranty and they repaired the slot for me free of charge

it can only be the board or the cpu,cpu's tend to be tough old birds so i would try the board first,if you still get stuttering then try and grab a cheap 920/930 or borrow one to test with
                          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

well, I'm no pro, but you have the horsepower , but still the lag... If it were me, i would disconnect that SSD drive and try a HDD of at least 32Mb cache and see how it benchmarks then... I have had good and bad experiences with SSD's

You said this... This problem seems to only be in 3d applications, moving windows around on the desktop and watching Youtube or Netflix everything is perfectly fine

have a look into your DirecX .. You running 11 ? is it completely updated ?

i have also in the past deleted Nvidia's PhysX stuff, as on some rigs it seemed to cause problems...
                            Last edited by harleyman; 03-01-2013, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by harleyman View Post
                              well, I'm no pro, but you have the horsepower , but still the lag... If it were me, i would disconnect that SSD drive and try a HDD of at least 32Mb cache and see how it benchmarks then... I have had good and bad experiences with SSD's

You said this... This problem seems to only be in 3d applications, moving windows around on the desktop and watching Youtube or Netflix everything is perfectly fine

have a look into your DirecX .. You running 11 ? is it completely updated ?

i have also in the past deleted Nvidia's PhysX stuff, as on some rigs it seemed to cause problems...
                              My old hard drive that passes all tests has 32MB of cache and the system stuttered in the same way. It's this old thing: Western Digital WD Black WD6401AALS Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

DirectX is patched as far as I know. Windows is up to date and running the dxwebsetup says that there's nothing to update. Is there a different way to update your DirectX?

I will reinstall the Nvidia drivers later without anything except the actual display driver installed and test the stutter later. I don't think I have tried this yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Stutter View Post
                                My old hard drive that passes all tests has 32MB of cache and the system stuttered in the same way. It's this old thing: Western Digital WD Black WD6401AALS Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

DirectX is patched as far as I know. Windows is up to date and running the dxwebsetup says that there's nothing to update. Is there a different way to update your DirectX?

I will reinstall the Nvidia drivers later without anything except the actual display driver installed and test the stutter later. I don't think I have tried this yet.
                                No, there's no other way to update Direct X and the updater you're using is simply for DX9 runtimes that aren't included with newer Windows by default for some stupid reason. Neither that nor what type of HD you're using would be causing this type of stuttering.

I want to make it quite clear that while hard drives/SSDs can malfunction and screw up that typically when this happens either A: you've got a dead drive 100% or B: you've got a failing mechanical HD that has limited time left on it for you to save/recover data using any number of programs, SpinRite SpinRite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia would be a famous high end example.

When you play most linear, static loading (aka all/or most of the games assets for X level load at the start of said level) type of game (think like Unreal Tournament99) what happens is most everything (if not 100% everything) for that level is loaded into the GPU Ram and System Ram at the start, what this means is that at that point your HD ceases to be involved in any way that would cause performance issues let alone stuttering like the way you're showing.

Now when you play a dynamically loading game (think Grand Theft Auto 3+/World of Warcraft etc.) where data is constantly being loaded and unloaded (Or Streamed) by your GPU Ram and System Ram now your HD does indeed play a role in the performance. However, that still doesn't account for the *type* of stuttering you're getting.

Unfortunately, unless we're talking about some incredibly ridiculous combination of hardware and/or software issues here I think we're left with the most likely issue being the CPU or Mobo physically them selves. Now this really sucks for you because as you said you can't RMA and it would be a price premium to switch to equal or greater hardware, all you could try is finding a friend with similar hardware and trying to eliminate those last two variables off the plate.

I swear, because you've tried every single thing I can think of that would fix this it's almost as though your CPU's internal clock is frakked and isn't counting time right any more or something, something is out of sync badly and again, barring a software fluke I think it's hardware between your last two unchanged/replaced pieces.

Comment

Working...
                                X