Please help me solve this stutter problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me solve this stutter problem

Hello, I have posted this help thread in a few forums but nobody seems to be able to find a solution to my problem. Below I have a few videos to barely show what I am experiencing along with all of my trouble shooting steps. I have replaced everything in this computer except the CPU and motherboard. Maybe this old setup has degraded to a point where it is stuttering, but why does it pass every test on the on the internet with flying colors? I'm hoping someone here knows of a voltage or setting that I can bump up to cure this problem.

The problem is more of a micro stutter but I'm only using one GPU and it happens in many games and benchmarks. Online players skip around, animations are choppy and it looks like frames are being skipped. 120fps looks like 40 fps. This can be felt with mouse movement as well.

The system:

i7 920 @ 3507MHz (stutter happens with optimized defaults as well)
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI with the latest beta bios
    3x2GB Corsair 1600 ram running at 1336 MHz
    Stock GTX 460
    Creative x-fi xtremegamer
    Windows 8 pro 64 bit
    Samsung 840 SSD + Western Digital WD6401AALS 640GB mechanical hard drive
    Seasonic Platinum 660XP 660w power supply

Example with the vantage CPU test showing the planes skip around and even rewind for a split second: I used afterburner to record this and it only lowered the score, it didn't add any extra stutter.

To troubleshoot my GPU,

I RMA'd it through MSI and the replacement changed nothing. I got a third GTX 460, this time from ASUS, again nothing changed. All three of these GTX 460s passed all benchmarks, EVGA oc scanner and OCCT artifact scanner. I tried using the second PCIE slot but again nothing changed. I also went out and purchased a Gigabyte 7850 but it still showed this weird stutter. Both problems exist with my older 60Hz monitor with a replacement dual DVI cable.

To troubleshoot my processor, ram and motherboard

I ran prime95 blend for almost 19 hours, long enough to pass all of the tests with 90% memory usage and no errors were found. I passed 10 runs of IBT at max without an error. It passed OCCT's 1 hour test. I also left the PC to fold overnight but it was still happily folding on a second work unit when I got up. Overnight memtest86+ AND memtest86 came back with no errors. I ran HCI memtest to 1450% without errors. I also made sure to test the stutter problem with everything running stock by loading optimized defaults but that didn't help. I also tried a second memory kit from OCZ that also passes these tests but the stutter was still there. The highest temperature was 61c and that was during IBT. I tried running the ram with very loose timings just in case but again no change. I tested with Hyperthreading disabled. I added a couple more bumps of VTT and Vcore.

I flashed to different bios versions including the latest beta bios for my motherboard. I tried disabling all power saving features in the bios.

To troubleshoot my hard drive

The hard drive is currently running in AHCI mode but I have also tried IDE mode. I have also tried using the Microsoft AHCI drivers and the Intel drivers but there isn't a difference between them. Iran the Western Digital advanced diagnostics twice and neither showed any errors. The smart data is also all OK without any warnings. I also replaced sata cables and swapped to alternative sata ports. I purchased a Samsung 840 SSD and the problem remains with a fresh install on it as well.

To troubleshoot my power supply

I replaced my XFX 650w XXX power supply with the Seasonic platinum 660XP but nothing changed.

To troubleshoot my network

I mentioned this above but ill add it here too. I had my ISP come out and test my lines and they said everything was fine. I bypassed all cable splitters. I bypassed my router and tried a new modem with replacement ethernet cords but the problem remained. I installed an Intel PCI network card in case my motherboards port was failing but yet again, nothing was changed. I even tried using a wireless USB adapter.

To troubleshoot the OS and drivers

I tried the default windows update drivers for my network adapter as well as the newest available from Realtek. I tried clean installing many whql Nvidia drivers in vista and windows 8. I tried reformatting and installing chipset drivers as well as reformatting again without installing chipset drivers. I have tried enabling and disabling HPET in both the bios and windows. With windows using HPET 64 bit the DPC latency is very low. I have 8 tabs open in Firefox, one of them is a 1080p youtube video playing and another one is pandora playing music and the DPC latency is 5-15 in LatencyMon.

To troubleshoot audio

I pulled my sound card out and removed the drivers. I made sure the integrated sound card was disabled in the bios and drivers for it were never installed. Both problems remained without sound.

What's left to troubleshoot? Did I overlook something?

The only hardware that hasn't been swapped out is the CPU and motherboard.

Could the CPU or motherboard be causing this problem but still pass every stress test that I throw at it? Unfortunately I can't find any cheap X58 boards to buy. The benchmark scores seem to be normal and where they should be. Gigabyte said that they didn't have any refurbished motherboards for me to purchase.

CPU is at 3507 MHz and the ram is at 1336 MHz.

Cinebench 10 = 20264 multithread and 4938 single thread.
    Cinebench 11.5 = 6.02 multithread and 1.19 singe thread.

The frustrating thing is that this PC hasn't blue screened or frozen since I have been experiencing these problems. Zero WHEA errors as well. I just don't get it. Please help before I just give up and find a new hobby.

Re: Please help me solve this stutter problem

Another video to show what it looks like during the beginning of the first GPU test. The second GPU test stutters as well, the sides of the large ship jiggle at times. The microstutter shows up as large skips in the recording.

Comment

A second but probably related problem is short pauses in the game when playing online. The net graph in games shows what looks like a network problem but my ISP has come out to my house many times to test the lines. I have bypassed the router and tried a new modem and these pauses do not change. Valve had me change all of the network settings and then install a program called Vtrace to see if any programs or drivers could be causing this but they couldn't find anything. Valve's conclusion was that something was wrong with my network and not with my PC. Both of these problems happen in windows 8 and vista.

Example of the pauses and gaps in the network graph:

Comment

in the nVidia control panel, what do you have processing PhysX?

the 3DM11, that i think is the combined CPU/GPU test, with your CPU/GPU, I'd expect a stutter.. and Vantage, you were processing under 60fps, so that will stutter too... anything under 60fps will do that.

the video for TF2, I didn't see the lag, sorry I watched it a few times, I see the spike.... to test your network speed use this site Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and post up the speed that it registered.

Also are you overclocking the GPU at all? I know the 4xx and 5xx series sometimes have an issue with DX11 and many ppl bump the GPU voltage up a tick or two to help with certain stability issues.

Vin
        Main Rig
        OS = Win10-64Bit
        CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
        Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
        MB = Asus ROG C6H
        GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
        HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
        PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
        Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
        OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
        CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
        Mem = 24GB RAM
        MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
        GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
        HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
        Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
        PSU = Corsair TX750
        Case = Define R5

Comment

What is the size of your Samsung ssd? Is it the PRO version? How large is your ssd? Is it your o/s boot drive?
          Have you made any windows changes to the location of your TMP and Temp folders?
          Where is your pagefile.sys located and how large is it? How much of the pagefile is used while gaming or benchmarking?
          Where did you install your gaming/benchmark software? ssd? hdd?

What are the specific motherboard sata port names that each drive is connected to?
          If your ssd and/or hdd is connected to one of the Gigabyte Gsata ports, this might be causing the stuttering.

I've run quite a few graphics benchmarks on both of my systems with my MSI N460GTX video cards with excellent results:
          P35-DS3L + E6300 (R0) @ 3.50GHz - single card setup at stock and overclocked settings, up to 920MHz GPU and 4200MHz Memory
          N650SLI-DS4 + E6850 @3.30GHz - SLI setup at stock and overclocked settings, up to 920MHz GPU and 4200MHz Memory
          Benchmarks used: 3DMark11, STALKER - Call of Pripyat, and Unigine Heaven 2.0
          My 3DMark11 scores were in the top category for systems similar to mine.

I don't play computer games and haven't run any network gaming benchmarks.
          All benchmarks were run with win7 and an OCZ Agility2 60GB o/s boot drive.
          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by Vinster View Post
            in the nVidia control panel, what do you have processing PhysX?

the 3DM11, that i think is the combined CPU/GPU test, with your CPU/GPU, I'd expect a stutter.. and Vantage, you were processing under 60fps, so that will stutter too... anything under 60fps will do that.

the video for TF2, I didn't see the lag, sorry I watched it a few times, I see the spike.... to test your network speed use this site Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and post up the speed that it registered.

Also are you overclocking the GPU at all? I know the 4xx and 5xx series sometimes have an issue with DX11 and many ppl bump the GPU voltage up a tick or two to help with certain stability issues.

Vin
            - The Physx processing is default in the drivers, auto-select.

- Many people say the same thing about the stutter caused by low fps but that is not normal because even though the FPS is below 60 this very same benchmark was not frame skipping like this when I ran it before on the same hardware.

- During those spikes in TF2 everything freezes, projectiles and other players pause for a split second and then warp to their actual position when the spike is over.

- Speed test (nobody else is using the connection):

- I'm not overclocking the GPU but I have tried keeping the default voltage for the MSI hawk (780 core) and dropping the clock speeds down to a default GTX 460 (675 core) but that changed nothing.

Originally posted by profJim View Post
            What is the size of your Samsung ssd? Is it the PRO version? How large is your ssd? Is it your o/s boot drive?
            Have you made any windows changes to the location of your TMP and Temp folders?
            Where is your pagefile.sys located and how large is it? How much of the pagefile is used while gaming or benchmarking?
            Where did you install your gaming/benchmark software? ssd? hdd?

What are the specific motherboard sata port names that each drive is connected to?
            If your ssd and/or hdd is connected to one of the Gigabyte Gsata ports, this might be causing the stuttering.

I've run quite a few graphics benchmarks on both of my systems with my MSI N460GTX video cards with excellent results:
            P35-DS3L + E6300 (R0) @ 3.50GHz - single card setup at stock and overclocked settings, up to 920MHz GPU and 4200MHz Memory
            N650SLI-DS4 + E6850 @3.30GHz - SLI setup at stock and overclocked settings, up to 920MHz GPU and 4200MHz Memory
            Benchmarks used: 3DMark11, STALKER - Call of Pripyat, and Unigine Heaven 2.0
            My 3DMark11 scores were in the top category for systems similar to mine.

I don't play computer games and haven't run any network gaming benchmarks.
            All benchmarks were run with win7 and an OCZ Agility2 60GB o/s boot drive.
            - The Samsung SSD is the cheaper non pro version at 120GB. It is my main drive that has the operating system with all benchmarks and games installed.

- I have not made any changes to the TMP folder.

- Pagefile is located in the default location after installing windows. It has been tested with the default windows configured size, a locked 1024 as well as completely disabled.

- All of my sata devices are connected to the Intel sata ports. Each port has been tested alone with the SSD to rule out a specific defective port.

Comment

is your ram running at 1333mhz? tried it at 1600mhz? it might help
              Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
              Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
              Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
              Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
              1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
              1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
              Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
              Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
              K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
              L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
              Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
              http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
              Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                is your ram running at 1333mhz? tried it at 1600mhz? it might help
                Yes, the ram is running at 1336MHz and at this speed everything was fine before, no stutter at all. And with this ram even running at optimized defaults 1066MHz everything was smooth at one point.

When I got this ram I tried running them on their XMP profile but it wouldn't even boot. I tried setting the timings manually with 1.66 ram voltage and VTT at 1.26v but it still wouldn't boot. I also tried bumping the VTT voltage two notches above 1.26 (I forget what the actual voltage was) but no luck so I decided to give up, I didn't want to keep raising the VTT for very minor performance gains between 1336 and 1600 ram.

The CPU and Motherboard both have around 20K hours of use on them. The i7 920 is C0 stepping.

Some more details; The problem seems to only happen in games or benchmarks and not on the desktop or while watching youtube or streaming. There also seems to be inconsistent mouse lag when playing first person shooters even though the FPS is 120+ and Vsync is off.

Thank you for the replies.

Comment

can you try with 1600mhz ram speed and 1.315v qpi/vtt

EDIT: it would be handy if you had a spare graphic card to test with just to rule it out
                  Last edited by wazza300; 02-24-2013, 12:54 PM.
                  Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                  Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

can you try with 1600mhz ram speed and 1.315v qpi/vtt

EDIT: it would be handy if you had a spare graphic card to test with just to rule it out
                    I just tried running 1600 with 1.32 vtt with Corsair's recommended 9-9-9-24 2t and windows got stuck loading endlessly. I rebooted and tried running with 10-10-10-24 2t and it got a little further but blue screened while trying to log in.

I have been through various video cards to test that issue but between three gtx 460's (my current card was fresh from RMA) and a 7850 (new) the problem remained.

Comment

Originally posted by Stutter View Post
                      I just tried running 1600 with 1.32 vtt with Corsair's recommended 9-9-9-24 2t and windows got stuck loading endlessly. I rebooted and tried running with 10-10-10-24 2t and it got a little further but blue screened while trying to log in.

I have been through various video cards to test that issue but between three gtx 460's (my current card was fresh from RMA) and a 7850 (new) the problem remained.
                      it shouldve booted fine with those voltages,test with just one ram stick installed and see if it still stutters,i just want to rule out the memory,i ran some ocz reaper @1800mhz with 1.32v qpi/vtt and 1.66v dram
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

it shouldve booted fine with those voltages,test with just one ram stick installed and see if it still stutters,i just want to rule out the memory,i ran some ocz reaper @1800mhz with 1.32v qpi/vtt and 1.66v dram
                        Okay, I just got done testing each stick alone in each of the main three memory slots. None of the sticks had any problem booting into windows and running programs @ 1336MHz in any of the slots. The stutter remained through all of the tests though.

Comment

it does seem strange,if youve tested and swapped everything it can only leave the cpu/motherboard

did you test on a mechanical hdd? to rule out ssd issue?
                          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                          Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

it does seem strange,if youve tested and swapped everything it can only leave the cpu/motherboard

did you test on a mechanical hdd? to rule out ssd issue?
                            The computer originally had the western digital black 640GB mechanical which passes all hard drive diagnostics. The SSD was purchased to trouble shoot the mechanical.

Comment

A couple of thoughts - troublehooting logic:

If the stuttering only happens when you are on the internet, its internet (or your NIC / NIC drivers).
                              If stuttering happens when you are disconnected from the internet, its machine.
                              If stuttering occurs both on and off the internet, its machine.

The X58 is known for southbridge heat issues. I have seen a few posts where people solved weird issues on X58's by replacing the thermal paste on the southbridge with a good quality paste and /or adding a small fan that blows directly on the southbridge. I would do both in your case - the board has been used for awhile and new paste is probably warranted. If video cards permit, you might even add a custom heatsink. Benchmarks are usually a pretty good way to cook the southbridge, BTW.

Next, I googled Creative sound card stuttering and came up with a thread on GURU3D that said CThelper.exe was causing stuttering, so I would remove the card and uninstall the drivers. Use Gigabytes onboard sound for awhile and see if it helps.

I don't think it's your problem, but I will mention it anyway - your ISP's DNS can be an issue. After I switched to Centurylink (Qwest), I started having lag issues with product photos (Newegg, Tigerdirect) taking 2 to 5 seconds to download on a 12mb/s connection. While the DNS record lookup was very fast using Qwest DNS, I used traceroute on a couple of Usenet sites and saw that all my internet connections were first routed through Qwests servers, which were causing the lag. There are quite a few things ISP's can do to DNS - so I suggest trying a third party DNS as a comparison.

You can try the following:

1. Flush the DNS cache.
                              2. Turn off DNS client in services.
                              3. Change your DNS servers on your NIC to OpenDNS at 208.67.222 and 208.67.220.220.

This may get you faster internet response time.

Hope those are some new ideas!

Comment

Working...
                              X