• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help: Lost RAID array

Relevant System specs:
    Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (v2)
    Two Samsung HD103SJ 1TB drives

I have two Samsung HD103SJ (1TB) drives connected to my system. They were configured in a RAID-1. This is very important to me because the RAID that isn't showing up is my video production work. Please help if you can!

What happend:
    I got a new SSD, cloned my old Snow Leopoard SSD to the new SSD and attempted to install Windows 7 on the old SSD. I reconfigured some things in the BIOS, moved some SATA cables, etc. I ended up just using Parallels in OSX.

The problem:
    I can't remember what I did to configure my RAID on the two Samsung drives. I'm pretty sure they were a hardware RAID.

I've tried to reconfigure my BIOS to enable the hardware RAID on the Sata3 ports. I keep getting this error message when attempting to run the BIOS RAID configuration: "SATA3 is now working in IDE mode, change to RAID mode first." The drives show up on boot, but not how they used it (in the RAID array..)

This happens regardless of what settings I use.

Please help me re-configure my RAID! I don't want to lose my data!

Re: Please help: Lost RAID array

sata3 uses marvell ports,it will be on a different bios page to enable raid than the page for the intel sata 2 raid
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, but all of the settings for the RAID in the BIOS are under "Integrated peripherals" (except for the actual RAID configuration).

I was able to get the SATA3 RAID configuration to open in the BIOS after I reset my BIOS settings. It did not, however, show my existing RAID configuration.

Since the original RAID was setup as a RAID 1, would I be able to recover the one drive from another and "rebuild" the RAID?

Comment

im not too hot on raid at all but untill someone adds further,have you accessed the raid console at start up? ctrl and i and see if you can rebuild the array,or just look and see what it says
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ctrl+i is the command for the intel raid controller. If this raid setup is on the marvel sata3 controller on the x58-ud3r it would be a different combo, which combo I am not sure but it would still use the ctrl key it might be ctrl+m.

As for recovering from it... Once you get in to the bios for the raid controller see if there is anything to rebuild the array. Other wise you can wipe drive number 2 and recreate the array because you should be able to take a existing disk and create a raid1 array with out losing existing data. It will just take some time for drive 2 to copy that data back over from drive 1.
          Main Rig
          Gigabyte z87x-OC
          Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
          G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
          Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
          Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
          HiS ATI HD 6950
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
          Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
          Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
          Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
          CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
          Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
          EK Supremacy Cpu Block
          Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
          Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Originally posted by Acebmxer View Post
            Ctrl+i is the command for the intel raid controller. If this raid setup is on the marvel sata3 controller on the x58-ud3r it would be a different combo, which combo I am not sure but it would still use the ctrl key it might be ctrl+m.

As for recovering from it... Once you get in to the bios for the raid controller see if there is anything to rebuild the array. Other wise you can wipe drive number 2 and recreate the array because you should be able to take a existing disk and create a raid1 array with out losing existing data. It will just take some time for drive 2 to copy that data back over from drive 1.
            That would be great! However, when I attempt to enter the RAID configuration I get a red box with the error: "SATA3 is now in IDE mode" (partial), even if I've set SATA3 mode to "RAID". Any help setting up the "Integrated Peripherals" screen so I can enter the RAID configuration would be really helpful :).

Comment

If you wipe a drive and try building another Array it will wipe both drives.
              Anytime you set optimized Defaults or flash a BIOS it will default to ACHI. Not saying you did it but you gotta take care because most of the time if you boot to windows in ACHI your RAID array will be lost. This is so with the Intel RAID for sure, I dunno about the GSATA (Marvel).

It is Ctrl + M to enter Marvel RAID config utility.

You should make sure your HDD's are connected to the Marvel ports if thats were they originally were.
              Boot into BIOS and under Peripherals / GSATA controller make sure its set to RAID.
              Save and exit and boot holding Ctrl + M and see whats up in there..

You left out some info, rather or not your array was the OS drives. And always back up your Data to other drives. I use Genie Backup Manager Pro to do it for me on a schedule. I mainly use RAID1 for my OS drive to act as kind of a Run Flat technology.

Anyway, good luck.
              Last edited by 2therock; 08-13-2012, 08:20 PM.
              Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H WB Motherboard
              Intel Ivy Bridge i7 3770K clocked @ 4.5GHz
              16GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 2133 RAM
              Water cooling by XSPC RASA RS240 Kit
              Sapphire HD 6850 1GB DDR5 GPU
              1TB - RAID1 setup with Western Digital 6GB/Sec Drives
              Corsair HX750W Professional PSU
              Windows 7 Professional (x64) Build 7601

Comment

Working...
              X