z77x-Ud3H back panel usb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• z77x-Ud3H back panel usb

Hi, i am experiencing issues with the back panel usb ports of my UD3H.
    i'm experiencing two main problems:

1- if i hotplug an USB bluetooth adapter (dlink DBT-120) drivers are installed correctly and the device is fully working
    when i reboot the system this adapter and both keyboard (logitech K120) and mouse (logitech M100) won't power on so i can't use them even when the desktop is fully available. i thought the problem could be the BT adapter but the event log show a code 17 BTHUSB error and the driver unload message:
    that's stupid because everything stop working after this failure

2- i had to restore the system to a previous state due to a driver installation issue (newest RST 1207 made my OS freeze on windows logo at startup) using the windows recovery console but after entering it both keyboard and mouse were off so in order to get going i had to plug them to the front panel ports.
    this issue is present even if i force the recovery console via F9 at w7 boot
    ps2 keyboards are ok

is this some kind of known issue (maybe due to the back panel usb chipset being different from the front panel one) or it's just a fautly board?
    i currently run the F11 bios with everything, in terms of legacy usb support, enabled

help?
    Thermaltake Chaser MK-I Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel Core i5-3570k Corsair Vengeance Blue Low Profile 1600MHz 8GB SSD Crucial M4 128GB Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 600W 80plus

Re: z77x-Ud3H back panel usb

i've found on the manual:

could it be something this stupid?
    Thermaltake Chaser MK-I Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel Core i5-3570k Corsair Vengeance Blue Low Profile 1600MHz 8GB SSD Crucial M4 128GB Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 600W 80plus

Comment

no one with an UD3H willing to help?
      it seem that i've hit a wall with the guys at ggts
      maybe they're just auto answer bots but i'm really having an hard time communicating with them

beside the ports near the lan connector the other from the back panel seem to work only after the OS has been loaded
      anything i plug in won't work unless at desktop or in bios so i cannot use keyboard and mouse while in recovery console or simply reinstalling the OS
      if you also try to boot the w7 installation from an usb drive it will ask for driver path because magically the usb port will turn of right after the installation screen

whish i never got the UD3H had to pick the UD5 instead

Comment

Originally posted by Shura30 View Post
        no one with an UD3H willing to help?
        it seem that i've hit a wall with the guys at ggts
        maybe they're just auto answer bots but i'm really having an hard time communicating with them

beside the ports near the lan connector the other from the back panel seem to work only after the OS has been loaded
        anything i plug in won't work unless at desktop or in bios so i cannot use keyboard and mouse while in recovery console or simply reinstalling the OS
        if you also try to boot the w7 installation from an usb drive it will ask for driver path because magically the usb port will turn of right after the installation screen

whish i never got the UD3H had to pick the UD5 instead

You can check out my detailed post as to how I got ALL my ports to work:

However, yes - I did have to plug my mouse and keyboard into the INTEL usb 3.0 ports (the ports under the LAN port).

In order to install/re-install OS, you HAVE to plug your keyboard and mouse into a USB 2.0 port (I assume that you have USB 2.0 ports in the FRONT of your computer case).

This is some kind of limitation with Windows 7 (and previous Windows) and USB 3.0 compatibility. You HAVE to use USB 2.0 in order to install or reinstall Windows. After the installation of the OS, you need to install your drivers.

Again, the KEY is to plug your mouse and keyboard into the INTEL ports <-- this was the solution for me and from my research, this helped most others as well.

You could always try updating your BIOS and see if you get lucky with that (I updated my BIOS to the latest and greatest but it didn't fix my USB 3.0 problems).

Hope that helps you.

Comment

Yes, for keyboard and mouse to work in bios or before windows can load all drivers, the keyboard and mouse need to plugged into the intel usb ports which are the 2 ports located below the ethernet port.
          Main Rig
          Gigabyte z87x-OC
          Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
          G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
          Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
          Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
          HiS ATI HD 6950
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
          Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
          Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
          Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
          CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
          Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
          EK Supremacy Cpu Block
          Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
          Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

thanks all my research got me there too..it's silly that the manual indicates the top usb ports for keyboard and mouse..they won't even work to install the os

i got the F13 beta but the "issue" is still there..it's just the os not having the proper driver

Comment

Hi all. I have a slightly different but, I suspect, related problem. The keyboard and mouse are plugged into the correct USB ports (by the ethernet port) but the keyboard and mouse don't work in POST or the BCD menu when any other USB devices are plugged into the back motherbaord ports.

When just the mouse and keyboard are plugged in (Logitech MX3000) I can access the BIOS menu and use the BCD menu. BIOS is F17 (official from the Gigabyte site). All was working well until I installed the latest Intel and VIA Win 7 x64 drivers from the Gigabyte site. I've uninstalled the drivers and also system restored to before the updates, but to no avail.

Any thoughts? Thanks, Gary

Comment

Hey all. I just built a new rig and have encountered the same issues with the USB 3.0 ports on the back panel. I followed the manual and was able to successfully install Windows using the Intel-based ports, successfully updated all Windows updates and then decided to download and install the updated Intel and VIA USB 3.0 drivers.

After installing all of these, only the Intel ports work. Whenever I plug in an external harddrive or a USB Flash drive (both are 3.0), the computer chugs and Windows says it has successfully installed drivers for "Unknown Device", but nothing can be accessed.

If I plug the devices into USB 2.0 ports on my case's front panel, it detects the flash drive and the external harddrive almost instantly and then tells me "This device can perform faster"

I've updated the BIOS to the latest version (F17) and all USB options are enabled in there as well. I have tried uninstalling all the drivers in Windows, rebooting, reinstalling, the whole nine yards and still nothing...

Has anyone figured out how to get the USB 3.0 ports working AFTER Windows has been installed? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by bruxup View Post
                  Hey all. I just built a new rig and have encountered the same issues with the USB 3.0 ports on the back panel. I followed the manual and was able to successfully install Windows using the Intel-based ports, successfully updated all Windows updates and then decided to download and install the updated Intel and VIA USB 3.0 drivers.

After installing all of these, only the Intel ports work. Whenever I plug in an external harddrive or a USB Flash drive (both are 3.0), the computer chugs and Windows says it has successfully installed drivers for "Unknown Device", but nothing can be accessed.

If I plug the devices into USB 2.0 ports on my case's front panel, it detects the flash drive and the external harddrive almost instantly and then tells me "This device can perform faster"

I've updated the BIOS to the latest version (F17) and all USB options are enabled in there as well. I have tried uninstalling all the drivers in Windows, rebooting, reinstalling, the whole nine yards and still nothing...

Has anyone figured out how to get the USB 3.0 ports working AFTER Windows has been installed? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
                  Your issue to me seems like you need to update your chipset and USB drivers. when you uninstalled the drivers, did you check the box that says to delete the driver file? cause if you didn't it'll just re-install the driver you're trying to get rid of on re-boot.

Vin
                  Main Rig
                  OS = Win10-64Bit
                  CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
                  Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                  MB = Asus ROG C6H
                  GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
                  HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
                  PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
                  Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
                  OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
                  CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
                  Mem = 24GB RAM
                  MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
                  GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                  HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
                  Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
                  PSU = Corsair TX750
                  Case = Define R5

Comment

Originally posted by Vinster View Post
                    Your issue to me seems like you need to update your chipset and USB drivers. when you uninstalled the drivers, did you check the box that says to delete the driver file? cause if you didn't it'll just re-install the driver you're trying to get rid of on re-boot.

Vin
                    Thanks for the quick response! I tried downloading and upgrading the chipset firmware (VIA VL800 if I'm not mistaken) but did not see any results. I'm at work right now, but I'll try uninstalling the drivers again and check off that box to delete the files as I don't think I did that.

I'll give it another go tonight and hope for the best. I'll keep you posted if anything comes up.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by bruxup View Post
                      Thanks for the quick response! I tried downloading and upgrading the chipset firmware (VIA VL800 if I'm not mistaken) but did not see any results. I'm at work right now, but I'll try uninstalling the drivers again and check off that box to delete the files as I don't think I did that.

I'll give it another go tonight and hope for the best. I'll keep you posted if anything comes up.

Thanks again!
                      But for your board there are Intel USB 3.0 drivers as well... Why would they have Via and Intel drivers available?

Vin
                      Main Rig
                      OS = Win10-64Bit
                      CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
                      Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                      MB = Asus ROG C6H
                      GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
                      HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
                      PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
                      Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
                      OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
                      CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
                      Mem = 24GB RAM
                      MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
                      GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                      HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
                      Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
                      PSU = Corsair TX750
                      Case = Define R5

Comment

Originally posted by Vinster View Post
                        But for your board there are Intel USB 3.0 drivers as well... Why would they have Via and Intel drivers available?

Vin
                        I believe there are 2 separate USB controllers. The Intel ones (beside the Ethernet) are native USB 2.0 so you can still use a USB keyboard and mouse to install the OS. The Intel drivers are to make the USB 2.0 ports USB 3.0, which successfully work...it's the 4 other VIA ones I've had nothing but problems with.

Tried uninstalling all drivers (and selected to delete files), rebooted and reinstalled latest drivers and still experiencing the same issues...I have relentlessly searched Gigabyte & VIA's websites and got the latest controller packs, drivers and everything. I find it hard to believe that there isn't a fix out there for this but I cannot figure it out for the life of me...
                        Last edited by bruxup; 10-17-2012, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Hey all...I actually got through to Gigabyte's Tech Support (GGTS) and they suggested something that (somewhat) works and I wanted to share it with everyone else having these problems.

I did this and instantly the USB 3.0 ports began working...oddly though, on a fresh boot-up it worked...but if I remove the device and try plugging it in again, then the same issues occur. Very weird.

At least I'm able to use USB 3.0 when I first turn on or restart my computer...hahaha.
                          While not a complete fix, it's at least a step in the right direction. Hope this helps and you all have better luck than me.

Let me know. Cheers!

Please try the following:

1. Uninstall all existing USB 3.0 driver.
                          2. Remove CMOS battery for 10-15Mins.
                          3. Download and reinstall both USB 3.0 driver again:

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_via_usb3.exe

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_intel_usb3.exe

Comment

Working...
                          X