This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GIGABYTE Modified Bios

I have finally managed to update the GBe firmware on my GA-X79-UD5 board. I am going to write up a manual how to do it, but bear with me. It's hot here and I'Ve got some other obligations, so it could take a day until I can do it.

There are three obstacles:

1) Gigabyte's flashers skip both the ME and GBe region.
    2) Compared to the ME region, the GBe region is ALSO not flashable with FPT.exe using the -gbe -f parameter!
    3) Any flashing to the GBe region overwrites your onboard network chip's MAC adress.

However I still pulled it off and shall give you instructions how to do it, yet, there will be no easy solution without using a hex editor -- unless someone else finds one. No simple "Hey dude mod the BIOS for me..." kinda thing. ;)

Click image for larger version

Name:	GBE15.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	753834

Comment

Originally posted by jayhay View Post
      Really? So crazy man. I've tried everything to make it boot 1st in the bios, and also multiple usb stick builds like avast rescue, m4 firmware update and so on. Same happens on two different systems with the same board.

Did you have your hd/ssd plugged in when you tried it?

Thanks much for your help fred!
      I know this sounds a bit dumb, but have you made sure usb mass storage is enabled in bios?, do you have that on z77?
      A WHOLE LOT OF NOTHING WORKS PROPERLY

Comment

Originally posted by jayhay View Post
        Really? So crazy man. I've tried everything to make it boot 1st in the bios, and also multiple usb stick builds like avast rescue, m4 firmware update and so on. Same happens on two different systems with the same board.

Did you have your hd/ssd plugged in when you tried it?

Thanks much for your help fred!
        It would be useful to show some screenshots of your bios settings, I have never had a problem to boot on USB ... legacy or UEFI mode ? did you try with default settings ?
        It is really useful to complete and keep your PC Specs or Signature up to date in Settings /My Profile (motherboard, CPU, BIOS version modified or not ...) - Thank you all .
        Main rig : Z77X-UD5H BIOS F16 mod11 - Core i7 3770K @4.5GHz 1.30V - Noctua NH-D14 - GSkill TridentX 2x8GB @1200MHz CAS10 - Club3D HD5750 noiseless @800/1300 - Silverstone FT02S - Seasonic X-series 650W
        2x Intel 510 128GB RAID0 - 2x Samsung F3 500GB RAID0 + Samsung F3 1TB - Dell U2713H - Logitech Illuminated & G500 - Focal XS Book - Windows 8 Pro 64bits UEFI
        2nd rig : Z77X-UD3H BIOS F20e mod - Core i5 3470 @4.0GHz - Noctua NH-D14 -
        Crucial BT 2x4GB @933MHz CAS9 - Club3D HD7750 noiseless @stock - Lian-Li PC-A05FN - Seasonic M12II 520W
        Crucial M4 128GB - 2x WD10EALX RAID1 - Dell 2408WFP - Logitech Illuminated & G5
        - Bose Companion 20 - Windows 8 Pro 64bits Legacy
        HTPC : EG45M-UD2H BIOS F5a mod - Core2Quad Q8200 @2.8GHz undervolted to 1.10V - Noctua NH-C4 passive - OCZ 4x1GB @500MHz CAS5 - AMD HD6450 passive - Antek NSK2480 - Antec Earthwatts 380W
        Intel SSD 330 60GB - 2x WD WD30EZRX 3TB RAID0 - Logitech K820 - Windows 8 Pro 64bits + XBMC12
        Gigabyte Modified BIOS & About ME firmware

Comment

Originally posted by stasio View Post
          Mseirco,
          you have newer modded BIOS here by virtu,with some new Intel MicroCode.
          Yes,of course install driver RST 12.7.1.1000..... (I have also installed).
          Ok thanks! I allready have the BIOS f14 MOD2. Thank a lot to you and thank to Virtu the new padawan! ;)

Will the GBE firmware be upgraded to 1.5? (now is still on 1.3)

Comment

Hello is me again -_-!

I think i have a problem.. The problem is today i see the RST icon not running. When i try to open the RST i get an error. And when i try to unninstall or install the RST i get this :

- Error 0x800401f0 while looking up text

! Im stuck i can do nothing..! -_- Anny suggestion ??

EDIT: i try everything. In safe mod too. Cannot run, reinstall or unninstall the RST... -_- I just try to install rstE (entreprise) and i did it. But when i try to unninstall the RST, impossible, i get everytime the same error!!

I think i will reinstall window 7.... ;( And i very hope this is a software bug and not a BIOS modified bug..!
            Last edited by Mseirco; 08-01-2013, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Just a quick feedback for Modded 3 Bios F20a.

GA-Z77-D3H (Rev. 1.1) Modded Bios 3 F20a

No more random bsod
              No more system heat problem
              No more AMD shut down problem

Clear cmos does not work. When i clear my cmos then power up my computer it gave me seven boot loop, three power shut down, one bios hang.
              But when it booted on my bios everything went well.

Everything is running smooth.

Great job, virtu.

Thanks again, virtu
              Z77-D3H Rev 1.1
              GA-Z77-D3H BIOS F23a mod
              Core i5 3570K @ 3.8 MHz
              Kingston HyperX Blue 9-9-9-24 @ 1.65v
              Kingston SSD AHCI Mode
              Two 1TB Seagate
              ATI 6850
              850W 80+ Gold PSU
              Air Cooling
              Windows 7 x64 SP1

Comment

Originally posted by Mseirco View Post
                Hello is me again -_-!

I think i have a problem.. The problem is today i see the RST icon not running. When i try to open the RST i get an error. And when i try to unninstall or install the RST i get this :

- Error 0x800401f0 while looking up text

! Im stuck i can do nothing..! -_- Anny suggestion ??

EDIT: i try everything. In safe mod too. Cannot run, reinstall or unninstall the RST... -_- I just try to install rstE (entreprise) and i did it. But when i try to unninstall the RST, impossible, i get everytime the same error!!

I think i will reinstall window 7.... ;( And i very hope this is a software bug and not a BIOS modified bug..!
                This is usually a "Trusted installer service" issue.
                The following might work.
                Please run it in ADMIN mode (or better...with the Administrator account) or with administrative privilege... with UAC disabled....NOT in safe mode ..the "Trusted Installer service" NEVER start in the "safe mode" even if you are in ADMIN mode.

1. On the "Start" menu, click "Run:"

2. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /unreg", (without quote) and then press ENTER.

3. On the "Start" menu, click "Run".

4. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /regserver", (without quote) and then press ENTER.

Then proceed on what you were trying to install or uninstall or redo what you were trying to do (sometimes something is installing without your knowledge e.g. .NET framework)

Good luck
                Last edited by Teddybehr; 08-02-2013, 01:36 AM.
                Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
                GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
                16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
                OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server
                Other interface: Pangolin QM2000.NET Lasers controller

Comment

Originally posted by virtualfred View Post
                  New beta BIOS modified (tested) :

GA-Z77X-UD3H F20a mod1

With :
                  Intel Legacy RAID for SATA - from 11.6.0.1702 to 12.7.0.1936
                  Intel UEFI RAID SataDriver - from 11.6.0.1702 to 12.7.0.1936
                  Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller from 2.0.2.7 to 2.0.6.6
                  Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller from 2.1.1.1 to 2.1.1.5
                  Marvell 88SE91xx Adapter - BIOS from 1.0.0.0027 to 1.0.1.0025
                  Sandy (06A7) CPU-MicroCode Rev.29 added
                  Ivy E1(06A9) CPU-MicroCode from rev17 to rev19
                  Thanks for this great update. My PC won't wake from sleep successfully though. Seems to partially wake up - discs spin up but video/keyboard/mouse don't wake up - F19J works fine. All drivers up to date. Anyone have any hints? Thanks!

Comment

@Amurtigress: might want to double-check your Intel MEI driver versions.
                    Reference: www.station-drivers.com • Afficher le sujet - Driver: Intel Management Engine 9.5.10.1652 WHQL
                    My Z77-UD5H board:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	MEI64_7.31.2013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	753838
                    Last edited by vailr; 08-02-2013, 01:26 AM.

Comment

^It's OK.

Comment

Originally posted by ennss View Post
                        Thanks for this great update. My PC won't wake from sleep successfully though. Seems to partially wake up - discs spin up but video/keyboard/mouse don't wake up - F19J works fine. All drivers up to date. Anyone have any hints? Thanks!
                        I think all problems do not come from the bios, i tried it with Z77X-UD3H F20a mod2, Win 8 64bits on legacy, no issue while wake up from sleep.
                        Just one strange thing with F20a : with Microsoft Reclusa (I always had USB speed or power problems with its USB hub) and Logitech G5 plugged on the USB into the bottom side of RJ45, boot's BIP is longer... but everything works fine (short BIP) when plugged into the top of PS2.
                        It is really useful to complete and keep your PC Specs or Signature up to date in Settings /My Profile (motherboard, CPU, BIOS version modified or not ...) - Thank you all .
                        Main rig : Z77X-UD5H BIOS F16 mod11 - Core i7 3770K @4.5GHz 1.30V - Noctua NH-D14 - GSkill TridentX 2x8GB @1200MHz CAS10 - Club3D HD5750 noiseless @800/1300 - Silverstone FT02S - Seasonic X-series 650W
                        2x Intel 510 128GB RAID0 - 2x Samsung F3 500GB RAID0 + Samsung F3 1TB - Dell U2713H - Logitech Illuminated & G500 - Focal XS Book - Windows 8 Pro 64bits UEFI
                        2nd rig : Z77X-UD3H BIOS F20e mod - Core i5 3470 @4.0GHz - Noctua NH-D14 -
                        Crucial BT 2x4GB @933MHz CAS9 - Club3D HD7750 noiseless @stock - Lian-Li PC-A05FN - Seasonic M12II 520W
                        Crucial M4 128GB - 2x WD10EALX RAID1 - Dell 2408WFP - Logitech Illuminated & G5
                        - Bose Companion 20 - Windows 8 Pro 64bits Legacy
                        HTPC : EG45M-UD2H BIOS F5a mod - Core2Quad Q8200 @2.8GHz undervolted to 1.10V - Noctua NH-C4 passive - OCZ 4x1GB @500MHz CAS5 - AMD HD6450 passive - Antek NSK2480 - Antec Earthwatts 380W
                        Intel SSD 330 60GB - 2x WD WD30EZRX 3TB RAID0 - Logitech K820 - Windows 8 Pro 64bits + XBMC12
                        Gigabyte Modified BIOS & About ME firmware

Comment

New Z87 system06C3 Rev.12...... (02.July 2013).....Haswell.
                          Last edited by stasio; 08-02-2013, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybehr View Post
                            This is usually a "Trusted installer service" issue.
                            The following might work.
                            Please run it in ADMIN mode (or better...with the Administrator account) or with administrative privilege... with UAC disabled....NOT in safe mode ..the "Trusted Installer service" NEVER start in the "safe mode" even if you are in ADMIN mode.

1. On the "Start" menu, click "Run:"

2. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /unreg", (without quote) and then press ENTER.

3. On the "Start" menu, click "Run".

4. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /regserver", (without quote) and then press ENTER.

Then proceed on what you were trying to install or uninstall or redo what you were trying to do (sometimes something is installing without your knowledge e.g. .NET framework)

Good luck
                            Hello, thank you for your help but yesterday i reinstall a new window 7 allready.. Then i cannot try your solution.

Now i have all last driver installer and i see no issu.

Maybe i know what been the problem.. Before having the issu, i installed the new intel INF whit "-overall" flag for force the installation. And maybe THIS, make my RST bug..? Who know. Important is now, everything work fine!

Comment

Originally posted by vailr View Post
                              @Amurtigress: might want to double-check your Intel MEI driver versions.
                              Reference: www.station-drivers.com • Afficher le sujet - Driver: Intel Management Engine 9.5.10.1652 WHQL
                              Thanks for the heads-up, it's updated now. I am not a fan of running after every latest and 'greatest' version, however. I usually don't see an actual benefit...ex. for RAID ROM/driver updates. The only problem off the top of my head that I remember on my board series was missing TRIM support for SSDs in RAID 0. ^.^

Comment

• GBE15modkit_win64_x79.zip

Second: Get the Hexeditor HxD HERE:
                                HxD - Freeware Hex Editor and Disk Editor | mh-nexus

Third: Get the desired BIOS file for your mainboard in the BETA BIOS thread or Modified BIOS thread:

My recommendation are the modified BIOSses by virtualfred for X79 boards with updated microcodes.

1) Start HxD and load your BIOS into it, and then load the GBE15.bin from my GBE modpack into another tab.

2) The MAC adress of the onboard Intel LAN can be obtained by running ipconfig /all in a DOS prompt. Look for the 6 bytes MAC of the 82579V network connection, looking like 50-ab-13-44-ff-01. Also you might find it on a sticker on your mainboard if it has gotten lost somehow.

3) Find the location of the start offset of the GBe firmware within the original BIOS. Currently it is located at 1000h and the MAC adress is located at the very beginning of the GBe15.bin ROM, offset 0h-5h. You will find "88 88 88 88 87 88" there. This might be different in other BIOSses. To find the location you can always search for 888888888788 in your BIOS.

4) Copy the entire content of the second tab (GBE15.bin 0h-1fffh) over the GBe region in the first tab at offset 1000h-2fffh (Or the respective different offset for your BIOS) using paste-write (CTRL-B) in HxD.

5) Return to 1000h (Or your BIOS' GBe offset if different from that) and enter your MAC adress at 1000h-1005h.

6) Save the file to yourbios.bin and copy it into the FTP flasher directory.

ATTENTION: Only perform the following steps on the SECONDARY bios (BLUE on boards with a BIOS switch!) to reduce risk.

7) Backup your current BIOS by using backup.bat.

8) Flash your BIOS using 'fpt -bios -f yourbios.bin'

At this point, after flashing, the ME driver will stop working until after a reboot.

On mainboards with a BIOS switch (green/blue) and UEFI BIOS:
                                In case of a not working modification, you can enforce a BIOS reflash from the PRIMARY bios by holding the power button down for ten seconds or longer.

Let me know how that works for you...

EDIT: All hex adresses were ONE digit too long. Sorry!
                                Last edited by Amurtigress; 08-02-2013, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X