Help me OC an EP45T-UD3LR + Core2duo E8400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me OC an EP45T-UD3LR + Core2duo E8400

this may help you for Prime 95 errors...

Small FFT
    This test uses data that fits completely into your CPU's level 2 cache, it stresses the processor intensely but does not stress the RAM or the link between the RAM and the processor. It will error out because of:
    Not enough vCore
    Possibly low CPU Termination (VTT)
    Possibly low/high CPU ref
    Possibly low PLL (clock generator) voltage

Large FFT
    This test uses large "pieces" of data that require information to be moved in and out of RAM quite intensely to constantly feed the processor. The data in these calculations doesn't fit completely in CPU onboard cache, so the work load on the MCH and RAM is huge. It will error out because of:
    Not enough vDIMM (RAM voltage)
    Not enough (and rarely too much) MCH core voltage
    Incorrect MCH ref voltage
    Unstable memory timings (includes both main timings ie 5-5-5-15, and also tRead and tRFC.
    Only fails because of processor when vCore is waaaaaay too low!

Blend
    This alternates between small and large data sets, and although it is a useful "last test" when run for say 24 hours after you believe you have everything dialed in and it passes Large and Small seperately, it's confusing for fault finding.
    If Blend fails it could be for any reason mentioned for small FFT and large FFT leaving you with no indication what to do to stablise the system.
    G/L

Comment

thanks for the help. getting an stable OC is being more dificult than just buying a new pc! haha Every time I change just one of those settings a new issue appear: now my windows won't boot, in the loading windows screen the pc reboots but in the M.I.T doesnt appear the error in red letters..
      Thats enough for today..
      -Intel E8400 Wolfdale + Corsair H50 + Corsair Vengeance 8gb@1600mhz + XFX HD-5770 + GIGABYTE EP45T-UD3LR/F5 BIOS rev 1.0 + Barracuda 1TB = Cooler Master CM-690II advanced

Comment

Every time I change just one of those settings a new issue appear
        Welcome to the world of Overclocking. It can be a long process, not for the ill fanted.

Hey ugh the corsair memory is it dual or tripple channel ddr3? Also you may need to reset your CMOS after all your testing. Your full system specs in your sig would help greatly so we know wot were dealing with. Guessing wot you have is a disadvantage for all.
        Last edited by Conners; 01-13-2012, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Also IMO you may be taking the wrong approach in your OC. If were me ( and I'm no expert @ overclocking) I would 1st find my highest memory MHz at the lowest fsb and multi and go from there. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable peeps here to help you out. The 8 GB memory may also be a problem IMO.

Another approach I might take is to search your mother board model and 8 gigs memory.
          Last edited by Conners; 01-13-2012, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Buying a new CPU/motherboard is always easier, but some of us like to get more of what they bought anyway.
            Keep in mind that entering settings that fail and trting a completely new settings won't bring you anyway.
            Identifieyin the problem and adjust settings accordingly one by one is the right way.
            Also stating "I tried those settings" does not help us to help you, be more specific, what settings have yoy tried what have you changed and what made difference for better or worse.

Comment

Some ddr2 settings

for information the usual bench records on air for a 8200(c2q) were about 3.6 ghz and 8400(c2q) about 4.1.purely related to cpu multiplier nd fsb.

The ddr3 aspect makes a difference,, just so long as you think of 500 being around the practical maximum ,u can use your cpu multiplier on.
              Thas 2000mhz fsb.

check back thru some older p35T and p45T posts
              Last edited by kick; 01-14-2012, 03:13 PM.
              Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
              Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
              Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
              8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
              60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
              GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
              Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
              http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Originally posted by Conners View Post
                Welcome to the world of Overclocking. It can be a long process, not for the ill fanted.

Hey ugh the corsair memory is it dual or tripple channel ddr3? Also you may need to reset your CMOS after all your testing. Your full system specs in your sig would help greatly so we know wot were dealing with. Guessing wot you have is a disadvantage for all.
                Dual Channel DDR3 1600mhz, I think the only things that are not in my sig are my power supply (thermaltake tr-2 600w) my vga (xfx hd5770)
                Originally posted by Conners View Post
                Also IMO you may be taking the wrong approach in your OC. If were me ( and I'm no expert @ overclocking) I would 1st find my highest memory MHz at the lowest fsb and multi and go from there. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable peeps here to help you out. The 8 GB memory may also be a problem IMO.

Another approach I might take is to search your mother board model and 8 gigs memory.
                Why you think that 8 gigs might be a problem?

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                Buying a new CPU/motherboard is always easier, but some of us like to get more of what they bought anyway.
                Keep in mind that entering settings that fail and trting a completely new settings won't bring you anyway.
                Identifieyin the problem and adjust settings accordingly one by one is the right way.
                Also stating "I tried those settings" does not help us to help you, be more specific, what settings have yoy tried what have you changed and what made difference for better or worse.
                Yeah I know its kinda frustating that one time works, not changing anything and next time doesnt work.. I'll be posting full settings next time I try OC
                -Intel E8400 Wolfdale + Corsair H50 + Corsair Vengeance 8gb@1600mhz + XFX HD-5770 + GIGABYTE EP45T-UD3LR/F5 BIOS rev 1.0 + Barracuda 1TB = Cooler Master CM-690II advanced

Comment

Not necessarily but you may need more dimm voltage and MCH voltage. You might try one stick and see wot happens and then run memtest86. You can get that in the latest overclocking tools thread.

Also I would look at the link kick provided.

Also I don't what your trying to acheive or any thing about your cpu or board but, if your trying to get the full 1600 mhz, by my calculation you would need a 500MHz FSB and a memory multiplier of 3.2. Is that possible? I don't know but, what I do now is it will take a lot of testing.
                  Last edited by Conners; 01-15-2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

This is was my 8x500 settings when I was running it (I have since switched to 9.5x400). YMMV with RAM and CPU, especially since you have 8GB. Also, make sure you have a fan on that NB heatsink when getting into the 1.3v and up range for MCH.

Code:
                    GA-EP45T-UD3LR BIOS Template: E7500 (1.200 VID)

******Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)******

Robust Graphics Booster....................[Auto]
                    CPU Clock Ratio............................[ 8 X]
                    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.......................[+0.0]
                    CPU Frequency..............................[ 500x8]

******Clock Chip Control******

CPU Host Clock Control.....................[Enabled]
                    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)...................[ 500]
                    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)................[100]
                    C.I.A 2....................................[Disabled]

CPU Clock Drive............................[ 800mv]
                    PCI Express Clock Drive....................[ 800mv]
                    CPU Clock Skew.............................[   0ps]
                    MCH Clock Skew.............................[   0ps]

******DRAM Performance Control******

Performance Enhance........................[Standard]
                    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P).............[Disabled]
                    (G) MCH Frequency Latch....................[Auto]
                    System Memory Multipler....................[3.2B]
                    Memory Frequency 1066......................[1600]
                    DRAM Timing Selectable.....................[Manual]

CAS Latency Time[7]........................[7]
                    tRCD[7]....................................[6]
                    tRP[7].....................................[6]
                    tRAS[16]...................................[16]

******Advanced Timing Control******

All on Auto except:
                    Static tRead Value (Performance Level) = 8
                    TRFC = 60

******Motherboard Voltage Control******

Load-Line Calibration......................[Enabled]
                    CPU Vcore          [1.20000]...............[1.39375]
                    CPU Termination    [1.200].................[1.260]
                    CPU PLL            [1.550].................[1.550]
                    CPU Reference      [0.805].................[0.838] .805 in ET6

MCH Core           [1.100].................[1.300]
                    MCH Reference      [0.760].................[0.758] .720 in ET6
                    MCH/DRAM Reference ****Don�t Have****
                    ICH I/O            [1.550].................[1.550]
                    ICH Core           [1.100].................[1.100]

DRAM Voltage       [1.500].................[1.900]
                    DRAM Termination   [0.750].................[Auto]
                    Channel A Ref ****Don�t Have****
                    Channel B Ref ****Don�t Have****
                    Home PC (Sandy) -- Crunching WCG ~24/7
                    GA-P67A-UD4-B3, i7-2600k (L051B138) @ 4800 MHz, 1.356v full load, LLC 4, HT Enabled, Corsair H70 @ 1600rpm as exhaust
                    G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3-1600 7-7-7-24 1.60v (F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH), MSI HD4670 512MB DDR3
                    2x 64GB M4 SSD RAID0, 2x F3 HD103SJ 1TB RAID0, F4EG HD204UI 2TB, XP Pro SP3 32-bit, Cooler Master CM690 w/Real Power Pro 550

Work PC (Core2) -- Crunching WCG ~24/7 ...and Crucial M225 64GB SSD Donated for Endurance Testing (Died at 968 TB of writes ...and no that is not a typo!)
                    GA-EP45T-UD3LR BIOS F10 modded, E7500 R0 VID 1.200 (3905A706), 3.8 GHz 9.5x400 @ 1.328v full load, Zerotherm Zen FZ120
                    OCZ 2x2GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory 7-7-7-24 1.90v (OCZ3X16004GK) @ 1600 MHz 7-7-7-20-tRFC60-PL8 1.90v, Saphire HD3650 512MB DDR2
                    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD, 2x500GB Hitachi RAID1, XP Pro SP3 32-bit, Cooler Master Centurion 590 with 4x120mm Fans, Coolmax 600w Modular PS (CU-600B)

Music System
                    Squeezebox Server on Home PC -->Squeezebox Touch w/7" Android for remote -->optical S/PDIF -->Kenwood Sovereign VR-4700 (3x AK4393 DAC/1x AK5383 ADC) -->JBL S312
                    Kenwood Sovereign VR-4090B for sale -- PM me.

Comment

I need to know when do I put more or less, MCH Core MCH Reference, etc on what depends? Just putting differents settings you guys said to me Won't leave me no nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by gado45 View Post
                        I need to know when do I put more or less, MCH Core MCH Reference, etc on what depends? Just putting differents settings you guys said to me Won't leave me no nowhere
                        Well thats why you test with prime95 and use real temp to monitor tour cpu temps. I'm not going to go into details about the procedure right now. But I/we will if your really intrested in Ocing your system. I/we can walk you through the whole process if you wish. It's up to you are you game?

Comment

Im already in the game conners haha Yesterday I spent the afternoon testing a lot, y tried with FSB above 400mhz, can't be much specific now because I tried about 15 diferents settings, all of them without changing load line calibration, and mch core at 1200-1240 mch reference at 0.78 always (like I said, I want to learn when do I need to lower or increase these settings). I tested some settings with memtest86+ (using hiren's boot cd) and learned that low timing isn't always the solution to performance. I've get much more mb/s speed with my original timing (9-9-9-24 @ 1-5) with FSB 450 at 3.2D (ddr's where at 1400mhz more or less) than the full 1600mhz, 8-8-8-20 at 400mhz. I'll be posting this afternoon some full settings that kinda worked for me so you guys help me to set the load line calibration and other advance features, hope I've learn all about it in the process.

Comment

Okay the very rough basics are:
                            Higher CPU clock - more vcore
                            Higher FSB- higher MCH Core and/or VTT(CPU Termination)
                            Higher memory clock - higher MCH Core and/or DRAM Voltage.

As far as references(CPU or MCH) go, there is no more or less, just right.
                            Those two are relative to VTT(percentage) and scale with VTT. You need to find the right vaue by yourself, every system is different. e.g. mine are 0.73 CPU reference and 0.72 MCH reference at 1.2v VTT at 450 MHz with 1.22v VTT.
                            I stated references at 1.2v VTT even though VTT is set to 1.22v because this way no one need to do mathe to know what percentage of VTT I use.
                            always make reference adjustments at 1.2v VTT then set VTT to what you want it at.
                            1. Set VTT to 1.2v
                            2. set reverence (CPU or MCH) to desired value.
                            3/ set VTT back to its desired value.

usually I start testing higher FSB with a known stable CPU and memory(as close as possible) frequency. Then higher the CPU clock(ratio). That is why I recomended the 7.5 CPU ratio and LLC(because idle clock is higher too).

You have stated that in all your testings you had <CH reference at 0.78v was it the most stable value you found?

Comment

thanks for the info! Thats good for a starting point. So I tested a little on 400fsb, I wasn't getting valid settings (by valid I meant good enought for at least booting windows) until I removed one memory stick and left just 4gb in single channel.. I guess 400 or 500 fsb won't be good on 8gb, so I tried this like you said a higher fsb for an known cpu and/or memory frecuency
                              boots windows but prime give:
                              FATAL ERROR: rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4 Hardware Failure detected
                              V24OptionsConverted=1
                              WGUID_version=2
                              StressTester=1
                              UsePrimenet=0
                              MinTortureFFT=8
                              MaxTortureFFT=4096
                              TortureMem=800
                              TortureTime=15

[PrimeNet]
                              Debug=0

Comment

Well thats a start. In prime95 do you have under the advanced tab sum(inputs) error checking and round off checking checked? Also while testing disable Load-Line Calibration.

Wot I do is when I make a chang I start out in P95 using Small FFT's and if it fails righ away or after about 15 min I up the voltage in the previous post where I had the P95 failures. Then test again. If ok after that move onto large FFT's if htey fail see chart apply settings, test again. If Ok move FSB up say 10 - 20 mhz and teast again starting with small FFTs' and so on...G/L
                                Last edited by Conners; 01-17-2012, 06:34 PM. Reason: added P95 info

Comment

Working...
                                X