Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video artifact issues with GA-Z68A-D3H-B3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Video artifact issues with GA-Z68A-D3H-B3?

I didn't see such settings in the BIOS...maybe they are called something else?

Anyway I uppd the video buffer to 256 megs; nothing happened.

I ordered 4 new sticks of RAM @ a different speed:
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL

... do see if that fixes it.

Comment

The board don't have those settings, not many of the Z68 boards do.
      What is the rational behind buying new memory after it proves quite definately that the memory is not an issue?

Comment

Well I was able to prove that a particular set of memory was not the cause, but I wasn't able to say for certain the speed/voltage of the RAM was the problem or not.

Anyway I put in the new memory today; same issue.

Should I go for a new motherboard at this point? Any other thoughts? It seems like a new motherboard will be a pain...I don't know if NewEgg will send me a new one first so I can put that in and then send them the old one back.

Comment

You pretty much proved it's not a memory isue. What are the chances 2 different sets cause the same issue which is the first time I hear happen.
          For a new motherboard you will have to install windows anyway. I advise strogly to do it anyway before you spend more money (and time) for nothing.

Comment

Hm...I just found this thread:
            Intel HD Graphics display refresh problem??

The screenshot is almost exactly what I see.

Come to think of it, I am almost always running Outlook. I wonder if somehow this is an issue with Office 2010 SP1 that for some reason did not happen with my other motherboard.

Re: doing a clean install of Windows, I wouldn't need to do that if I got the same motherboard (if this one is defective). But you may be right that a clean install may be at least one more step I can take. I didn't do a clean install when I swapped out my P55 for this one, but maybe I should just give up and do that.

I'm going to dig into this intel HD/Office issue a bit more. Maybe see if it happens at all when no office app is running.

Comment

It's kind of weird that this would happen, though, when I completely disabled the iGPU if it is an iGPU issue. Unless the intel driver being around still causes an issue.

Another weird thing is Gigabyte has a driver 8.15.10.2559 on its website, dated 12/21/2011. The latest version on Intel's site is from September, and is 15.22.50.64.2509.

Comment

My educated guess is that even if you do get a replacement motherboard you will have to make a clean install once you find it does not solve the issue.

Comment

Here is an example of the artifacting. In this case, this is in a VMWare VM.

Office isn't running, so it looks like it is not an Office-only issue.

Re-install looking more and more likely.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	artifacts.png
Views:	1
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	751814

Comment

Originally posted by hdm5501 View Post
                    Another weird thing is Gigabyte has a driver 8.15.10.2559 on its website, dated 12/21/2011. The latest version on Intel's site is from September, and is 15.22.50.64.2509.
                    A couple of days before, 2559 was the latest driver on Intel's website. 2509 was the previous one.
                    On 12/21/2011, Gigabyte included the latest driver (as it was then) 2559 on its website.

Comment

I wonder why Intel pulled 2559 from their site.

Anyway, I have done the following (shotgun approach):
                      1. Set memory voltage back to Auto (was at 1.5)
                      2. Set memory speed to XMP, which I think OC'd my processor a little. My new RAM was showing up as 1600 even though it was 2133 RAM, so that fixed that also.
                      3. Disabled all the power-saving related stuff on the BIOS CPU page.

So far, no artifacts! Great success! (if it lasts...has lasted a few hours).

So if that works, I'll enable the power-saving CPU stuff one by one and see when it comes back. I suspect the culprit is probably in one of those settings.

Comment

Here are my current EasyTune Settings
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	EasyTune6-After.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	751818

Comment

Basically disabling the power saving features is what VJ said solved his issue.
                          However I do believe this isn't realy a "fix" anything rather just a "work around".

Having the memory at 2133 it would be wise to run a 6+ hours of Prime95 to make sure it is stable.

Comment

If disabling the power saving features is the work around, what do you think the fix is? New processor? New motherboard?

Who is VJ?

Comment

Originally posted by hdm5501 View Post
                              If disabling the power saving features is the work around, what do you think the fix is? New processor? New motherboard?
                              Hard to tell, maybe Intel or Microsoft has an answer.

Originally posted by hdm5501
                              Who is VJ?
                              LOL, you posted a link but you didn't read the thread?

Comment

The thread was about an issue with the Intel HD integrated graphics...I changed the power settings on my CPU, not the iGPU. So I'm not sure we can pin this on MS or the Intel HD graphics team.

Re: VJ, I see now; I read the thread just didn't look at the names. But VJ changed the Intel HD power management settings, not the CPU settings that I changed. On desktops, there are is no power saving "tab" in the Intel HD settings like what was mentioned in the thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X