GA-EP45-DS3R and Core 2 Quad Q8200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GA-EP45-DS3R and Core 2 Quad Q8200

CINBENCH CPU 2.7 is a bit low for 4 cores. I get 2.27 with only 2 cores. I would expect it to be higher at least by our GFlops ratio (36/25=1.44) that's about 3.27

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
      CINBENCH CPU 2.7 is a bit low for 4 cores. I get 2.27 with only 2 cores. I would expect it to be higher at least by our GFlops ratio (36/25=1.44) that's about 3.27
      Hi Chike you know I have noticed a drop in score in the 6600GT tests with the same system on 3Dmark06.
      I had a 500GB seagate drive installed before (with more cache probably) and maybe no AV or different than NOD32(maybe MSE).

Then after I installed this latest Western Digital drive and NOD32 there is a definite performance drop. I dont know whether its the drive or NOD32.:(
      I will list the WD cache ASAP. 16 MB cache on this drive and I think the seagate has 32 maybe (looking for that info now)
      Last edited by MadMax2911; 04-28-2012, 06:39 PM. Reason: addinfo
      BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

The CPU test shuld not be effected by drive or GPU.
        Always run benchmarks when the computer is at complete idle

Comment

The CPU test should not be affected by drive or GPU.
          Always run benchmarks when the computer is at complete idle
          Yes, that is right I was merely stating that the drive was changed and there is a new AV installed, which may be hindering performance a bit. You recall the problem with Norton internet security slowing down systems in the past.

It may be that I am wrong, yes I see that, so how will a CPU suddenly get bad performance??? Maybe the setting that were recently changed as a starting clue maybe? The CPU Enhanced halt and CPU EIST function remember?

I reset the above settings to disable for some more tests, but there maybe still something wrong.

Max
          Reran 3Dmark06 with above setting disabled and noted some increase in performance. Here is the link to latest result -->NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB/640MB video card benchmark result - Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200,Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP45-DS3R score: 11017 3DMarks Will look at some other suggestions I got from ESET support forum and also do a bit of googling as well.

Note I also purchased an upgrade to Diskeeper which may also be running with programs. Its called Intelliwrite technology, here is a review that states it runs in the background all the time. -->> Diskeeper 2011 Professional Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Rerunning Cinebench again LOL
          Last edited by MadMax2911; 04-28-2012, 07:54 PM. Reason: edit
          BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

I hope you know that I am running at default settings to get a baseline record again. Later I will use the setting that you gave me for the 2.8 OC.

I reran Cinebench and got CPU 2.7 pts again Hmmmm
            Last edited by MadMax2911; 04-28-2012, 08:16 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

Even at defaults you GFlops better than mine OCed could be memory settings, we'll see how it is at 2.8GHz.

Comment

You will be just fine with advanced timings on auto.

I have C1E and EIST enabled(as well as all other states), not much difference in heat when overclocked though.
                Only reason for your computer to over heat is fan(s) failure or sudden raise of room temperature.
                Core Temp have lots of overheat protection options, better then an alarm that no one would hear.
                Well speaking of fan failure my front fan just failed. It was making some noise for some time( a steady ticking sound). I took it out to examine, at the time I first noticed, but nothing looked bad? I will look for a replacement as soon as I get a chance.

Regarding the room temperature, we do not have central air like the big boys. So if the PC is left on for some reason, then it will have to endure the hot room. I had another PC overheat like that, my GA-8I945P-G based PC.

Also when I tried to change settings in the BIOS the system would not cooperate. Working on a BIOS template now.

Had a ATAPI error bring my system to its knees as well (stopped responding and went black screen- had to power off to get back to work). Apparently, my SATA DVD CD burner from HP is not playing well with my system. Thats all I can remember at this time.

More to the point of this thread, I did more tests with LinX.

Thanks for listening to me rant.
                Last edited by MadMax2911; 05-22-2012, 10:41 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

I already replaced 2 rare fans in my case, which is about 6 years old, what can we do fans don't have a long life time.
                  You would have to refresh our memory and post your setting, and what changes you have tried and failed.

Comment

Motherboard:GB Model:GA-EP45-DS3R Rev#:1.0 Bios Version:F11i
                    Cpu:Intel Model:Core2 Quad E8200
                    Ram: Brand:Mushkin Model/Part#:Blackline/996599 Link-->996599 - 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-8500 5-5-5-15 Blackline (Dual Kit)
                    Power Supply Unit: Brand:Antec Model#:TP3-650 Wattage:650watts
                    ----> Replace "Auto" with manually set values.

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
                    Robust Graphics Booster -------------- :[FAST]
                    CPU Clock Ratio ---------------------- : [7x]
                    Fine CPU Clock Ratio ----------------- : [xx] not avail
                    CPU Frequency -------------------------: 2.80GHz

Clock Chip Control
                    Standard Clock Control
                    CPU Host Clock Control --------------- : [Enabled]
                    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) --------------: [400]
                    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) ---------- : [100]

C.I.A.2 ------------------------------ : [Disabled]
                    Advanced Clock Control ------- [Press Enter]
                    CPU Clock Drive ---------------------- : [800mV]
                    PCI Express Clock Drive -------------- : [900mV]
                    CPU Clock Skew (ps) ------------------ : [0]
                    MCH Clock Skew (ps) ------------------ : [0]

DRAM Performance Control
                    Performance Enhance ------------------- : [Standard]
                    Extreme Memory Profile --- (X.M.P.) --- : [Disabled]
                    (G)MCH Frequency Latch ---------------- : [Auto] S
                    System Memory Multiplier -------------- : [2.66D]
                    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ---------------- : [Auto]
                    DRAM Timing Selectable ---------------- : [manual] <-- set to MANUAL for overclocking

Standard Timing Control
                    CAS Latency Time --------5 ---------- : [5]
                    tRCD ------------------- 5 ---------- : [5]
                    tRP ---------------------7 --------- : [5]
                    tRAS ------------------- 24 --------- : [15]

Advanced Timing Control
                    tRRD ------------------- 4 ---------- : [Auto]
                    tWTR ------------------- 4 ---------- : [Auto]
                    tWR ---------------------8 ---------- : [Auto]
                    tRFC ------------------- 68 --------- : [Auto]
                    tRTP ------------------- 4 ---------- : [Auto]
                    Command Rate (CMD) ------------------ : [Auto] <--- Auto or 0 is OK

Driving Strength Profiles
                    Driving Strength --------- : Press Enter <--- press ENTER to modify memory sub-timings when overclocking

Channel A
                    Static tRead Value --------------------- : [8]
                    tRD Phase0 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto] <-- leave this and below set to AUTO
                    tRD Phase1 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto]
                    tRD Phase2 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto]
                    tRD Phase3 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto]
                    Trd2rd(Different Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
                    Twr2wr(Different Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
                    Twr2rd(Different Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
                    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
                    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control --------------- : [Auto] ps
                    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control --------------- : [Auto] ps
                    Channel B
                    Static tRead Value --------------------- : [8]
                    tRD Phase0 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto] <-- leave this and below set to AUTO
                    tRD Phase1 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto]
                    tRD Phase2 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto]
                    tRD Phase3 Adjustment ------------------ : [Auto]
                    Trd2rd(Different Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
                    Twr2wr(Different Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
                    Twr2rd(Different Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
                    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank) ----------------- : [Auto]
                    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control --------------- : [Auto] ps
                    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control --------------- : [Auto] ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
                    CPU
                    Voltage Types------------ Normal -------- Current -----
                    CPU Vcore --------------- 1.250v ---- : [1.263]

CPU Termination --------- 1.20V ------ : [1.24]
                    CPU PLL ----------------- 1.50V ------ : [1.5]

CPU Reference ----------- .76V* ------ : [auto] temp setting will change to.76 or .80 later or to advised setting

MCH/ICH
                    MCH Core ---------------- 1.10V ------- : [1.16]
                    MCH Reference ----------- 0.76V ------- : [Auto]
                    MCH/DRAM Ref ------------ 0.900V ------ : [Auto]
                    ICH I/O ----------------- 1.50V ------- : [1.57]

DRAM
                    DRAM Voltage ------------ 1.80V ------- : [2.0]
                    DRAM Termination -------- 0.90V ------- : [Auto]
                    Channel A Reference ----- 0.90V ------- : [Auto]
                    Channel B Reference ----- 0.90V ------- : [Auto]

Advanced Settings
                    Limit CPUID Max. to 3 ------------------ : [Disabled]
                    No-Execute Memory Protect -------------- : [Enabled]
                    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ---------------- : [Enabled]
                    C2/C2E State Support ------------------- : [Disabled]
                    x C4/C4E State Support ----------------- : [Disabled]
                    CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) ------------ : [Enabled]
                    CPU EIST Function --------------------- : [Enabled]
                    Virtualization Technology -------------- : [Disabled]

Integrated Peripherals
                    Legacy USB Storage Detect ------------- : [Dis]
                    These values are for the latest tests on 05/22/2012

Also noted that the backup BIOS is at F8 I believe. I may be wrong I will check on this but, seems like I read that the backup BIOS needs to be at F11i or dang close to it right?
                    OK I just checked and it is at F11e with the main BIOS at F11i I press F9 to see this information in case the audience is unaware.

As far as the settings that went awry I am not to sure. I do remember tring to increase the CPU freq and lower the memory multiplier but it did not work.

Max
                    Last edited by MadMax2911; 05-22-2012, 11:24 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Your CPU is Q8200 obviousely.

Don't matter what is your backup BIOS it's ok.

As first step change you SMM to 2.40B and see if the ywork which they should, if not try tRD 9.
                      After that you may try increasing FSB and vcore as needed. Try 10MHz steps, with short stability tests (memtest86+, 15-30 minutes small and large FFT Prime95, and 5 runs LynX) to the point you are not stable, post what stability test fail and we will see what can be done.
                      Set PLL one click above default.

EDIT: Also set MCH Core 1.18 just in case, you may even need higher, try up to 1.24 in case of failure.
                      Last edited by Chike; 05-23-2012, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	P95_0523.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	752117
                        Your CPU is Q8200 obviously.

Don't matter what is your backup BIOS it's ok.

As first step change you SMM to 2.40B and see if they work, which they should, if not try tRD 9.
                        After that you may try increasing FSB and vcore as needed. Try 10MHz steps, with short stability tests (memtest86+, 15-30 minutes small and large FFT Prime95, and 5 runs LynX) to the point you are not stable, post what stability test fail and we will see what can be done.
                        Set PLL one click above default.

EDIT: Also set MCH Core 1.18 just in case, you may even need higher, try up to 1.24 in case of failure.
                        Ok 410 CPU host Freq now works and will try more as time permits. I am not too optimistic about how high i can go, as i have read one report about my board, that was negative.

Comment

A realistic goal can be 450x7 with ram at 1080 which it should be capable of. It's a 35 percent OC, not bad at all and should be fine for every day use.
                          471x7 may also be possible sacrificing memory performance a bit.

Comment

A realistic goal can be 450x7 with ram at 1080 which it should be capable of. It's a 35 percent OC, not bad at all and should be fine for every day use.
                            471x7 may also be possible sacrificing memory performance a bit.
                            I just did a finger temp test on my ram and its running a little warmer than I like. The Northbridge is too HOT to even come close to tight now. Here is a coretemp picture for you. Maybe I need to get that case fan replaced ASAP with the warmer weather on the way. What brand of fan is good and also economical as well ?? Also what about the CPU multplyier, I know in the Overclock guide it says to leave at highest setting. I wonder if a lower setting will be usefull at all?

Click image for larger version

Name:	p95_0523B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	752118
                            Last edited by MadMax2911; 05-24-2012, 01:24 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

Do you have a side fan or is ir possible to install one? this will help a lot with memory and NB temps.

Comment

Do you have a side fan or is ir possible to install one? this will help a lot with memory and NB temps.
                                I know its not possible to read everything, but I did state the Mugen2 does not fit with the side fan installed. All I have is the rear case fan sucking air out the back and maybe the power supply fan as well.

its a good thing I have the overheat protection on so it automatically downclocks my CPU.
                                Last edited by MadMax2911; 05-24-2012, 01:31 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

Working...
                                X